Finding diameter of torsion shaft

In summary: Those are questions which you, Mechanical94, have to answer. After all, it is your problem to solve. In case you missed it when you read the Terms & Conditions, PF is not a homework service.As SteamKing said, you already have enough information to answer all my questions. I already know the answers to these questions. Now, it's up to you. In summary, the equation for the local shear strain as a function of how θ is varying with distance along the shaft, and as a function of radial distance r from the axis of the shaft, is J=
Mechanical94

Homework Statement

The solid shaft is made from brass that has an allowable shear stress
= 100 MPa and a shear modulus of elasticity G = 39 GPa. The length of the shaft is L = 2 m, and over the length of the shaft the allowable angle of twist is θ = 0.10 rad.the shaft is subjected to a torque of T = 25 kNm, what is the required diameter of the shaft

Homework Equations

T/J=t/r=Gθ/L

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical94 said:

Homework Statement

The solid shaft is made from brass that has an allowable shear stress
= 100 MPa and a shear modulus of elasticity G = 39 GPa. The length of the shaft is L = 2 m, and over the length of the shaft the allowable angle of twist is θ = 0.10 rad.the shaft is subjected to a torque of T = 25 kNm, what is the required diameter of the shaft

Homework Equations

T/J=t/r=Gθ/L

Hi Mechanical94. Welcome to Physics Forums.

In this situation, what is the equation for the local shear strain as a function of how θ is varying with distance along the shaft, and as a function of radial distance r from the axis of the shaft? Does the shear strain vary with axial location? Does the shear strain vary with radial location? What is the equation for the local shear stress?

Chet

this is all the information given to me i have attached a picture to this post hopefully it can answer your questions

Attachments

• question torsion bar.jpg
    question torsion bar.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 601
Those are questions which you, Mechanical94, have to answer. After all, it is your problem to solve. In case you missed it when you read the Terms & Conditions, PF is not a homework service.

As SteamKing said, you already have enough information to answer all my questions. I already know the answers to these questions. Now, it's up to you.

Chet

i understand about this not being a homework service however this is my workings out and i got a diameter of 7mm, apparently my answer is not correct can anyone spot my error or can anyone help me to get the correct answer??

Attachments

• picture022.jpg
    picture022.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 591
  • picture023.jpg
    picture023.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:
Mechanical94 said:
i understand about this not being a homework service however this is my workings out and i got a diameter of 7mm, apparently my answer is not correct can anyone spot my error or can anyone help me to get the correct answer??

In the right hand side of the equation in picture 1, the algebra is incorrect. It should be:

[tex]J=\frac{TL}{Gθ}[/tex]

Chet

1. What is a torsion shaft?

A torsion shaft is a cylindrical rod that is subjected to torsional forces, or twisting forces, which cause it to rotate and transmit power.

2. Why is it important to find the diameter of a torsion shaft?

The diameter of a torsion shaft is an important factor in determining its strength and ability to withstand torsional forces without failing.

3. How do you find the diameter of a torsion shaft?

The diameter of a torsion shaft can be calculated by using the formula d = (16T/πτ)^(1/3), where d is the shaft diameter, T is the torque applied, and τ is the maximum allowable shear stress for the material of the shaft.

4. What factors can affect the diameter of a torsion shaft?

The diameter of a torsion shaft can be influenced by various factors such as the type of material used, the torque applied, and the maximum allowable shear stress for the material. Other factors such as temperature, surface finish, and the presence of keyways or splines can also affect the diameter.

5. Can the diameter of a torsion shaft be changed after it has been manufactured?

No, the diameter of a torsion shaft cannot be changed once it has been manufactured. It is important to accurately calculate the required diameter before manufacturing the shaft to ensure it can withstand the intended torsional forces.