Finding Dimensions of plates in Electric Field

In summary: I'm getting confused trying to find the dimensions of the plates.Yes, the area does seem quite small for plates, but I'm not sure what else we can do with the given information.So you have the equation ##A = 6.02x10^{-4}~m^2##. That's an area, and it's very small. But that's what you get when you take a tiny current (0.8 nanoseconds per second) and divide it by a tiny rate of change of electric field (1.5 microseconds per second). It's a tiny area.I don't understand the relationship between the dimensions of the plates and the displacement current, or between the dimensions of the plates and the rate of
lloyd21

Homework Statement

The electric field between two circular plates of a capicator is changing at a rate of 1.5 x 10^6 V/m per Second. If the displacement current this instant is ID = 0.80 x 10^-8 A find the dimensions of the plates

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is C = A*er*eo/t where A is the area of the plates, e is the relative permittivity of the dielectric, eo is the permeability of free space and t is the separation of the plates.

Q= V*C, where Q is the charge of the capacitor, V the voltage,
so we can write Q = A*E*er*eo, or Q/E = A*er*eo which implies (dQ/dt)/(dE/dt) = A*er*eo

I = dQ/dt, leading to I/(dE/dt) = A*er*eo = 0.80*10^-8/(1.5*10^6) = 5.33*10^-15

A = 5.33*10^-15/(er*eo)

If A is known the diameters of the circular plates could be determined, but A depends on er, and no information is given concerning this...I don't think I did this right.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you make the assumption that the relative permittivity is 1, that is, there is no dielectric in place since none was mentioned.

Otherwise you seem to be doing fine.

gneill said:
I think you make the assumption that the relative permittivity is 1, that is, there is no dielectric in place since none was mentioned.

Otherwise you seem to be doing fine.

So there are no dimensions ??

So there are no dimensions to the plate? That doesn't seem correct.

The plates will have dimensions of course. Square length units.

Note that ##ε_o## has units, as do the other quantities in your expression.

Yes so eo is 1.26 x10^ -6 m kg s ^-2 A^ -2...than what is er? 1? What would the units be for that? And the units for 5.33x10^-15?

lloyd21 said:
Yes so eo is 1.26 x10^ -6 m kg s ^-2 A^ -2...than what is er? 1? What would the units be for that? And the units for 5.33x10^-15?
Relative permittivity is unitless, just a number.

You'll have to work out the units for your 5.33x10^-15 from the units of the values used to compute it, like dE/dt having units of V/m/s,
and Volts having equivalent units of J/C or ##kg~m^2 s^{-3} A^{-1}##, and so on.

If er is then 1...the solution comes out to 4.23x10^-9?

lloyd21 said:
If er is then 1...the solution comes out to 4.23x10^-9?
What are the units? (seems like a pretty small area to me). Show your calculations.

A= 5.33x10^-15 / ( 1 x 1.26x10^-6 mkg s -2 A -2)

I'm not seeing units associated with your 5.33x10^-15 number, and I don't recognize your value of 1.26x10^-6 mkg s -2 A -2. You need to show your work and the values of any variables and constants.

I can see that you've divided the displacement current (C/s) by the rate of change of the electric field (V/m/s) to arrive at the 5.33x10^-15 number. So what are its units?

Would it help to know that equivalent units for ##\epsilon_o## are C/V/m ?

Units for the 5.33x10^-15 would be kg m^2 s^-3 A ^-2 m/s ??

gneill said:
I'm not seeing units associated with your 5.33x10^-15 number, and I don't recognize your value of 1.26x10^-6 mkg s -2 A -2. You need to show your work and the values of any variables and constants.

I can see that you've divided the displacement current (C/s) by the rate of change of the electric field (V/m/s) to arrive at the 5.33x10^-15 number. So what are its units?

Would it help to know that equivalent units for ##\epsilon_o## are C/V/m ?

I got 1.26x10^-6 m kg s^-2 A^-2 because that's the value for M naught?

lloyd21 said:
I got 1.26x10^-6 m kg s^-2 A^-2 because that's the value for M naught?
You mean μo? That may be true, but there should not be a μo used here, there should be an εo which is a different constant.

μo crops up mostly when inductors and currents and magnetic fields are involved. εo comes into play when electric fields and capacitors are involved. It may be handy to remember that some alternate units for εo are F/m, and for μo are N/Amp2.

ahhh kk thank you, so eo would be 8.85 × 10-12 C2 N-1 m-2

lloyd21 said:
ahhh kk thank you, so eo would be 8.85 × 10-12 C2 N-1 m-2
Sure.

I still don't understand where er is calculated though? As before you said it would just be a constant of 1?

No nevermind that can't be right, that gives me 4.72x10^-26...

lloyd21 said:
I still don't understand where er is calculated though? As before you said it would just be a constant of 1?
Yes. There is no dielectric present so assume that the permittivity is just that of free space, ##\epsilon_o##.

So my final equation would be A= (5.33x10^-15kg m2 S-3 A-3 m/s)(1)(8.85x10^-12 C2N-1m-2) ?

You've missed a division (or multiplied where you should have divided). Go back to your first post and look at your last equation for A.

I get A = 6.02x10^-4 and I have no idea on the units now. I divided 5.33 x10^ -15 kg m2 s-3 A-2 m/s by 8.85x10^-12 C2 N-1 m-2

A big hint would be that it's an area, and you're working with fundamental units. So what are the units of area?

square meters

there are many different units for area, but this would break down into square meters?

lloyd21 said:
there are many different units for area, but this would break down into square meters?
Yes. All the other units that you've been using in the problem were scaled to the base units of kg, m, second,... so a result that is an area will have the units of square meters.

isnt A = 6.02x10^-4 m^2 too small for dimensions of a plate? Also, when i got my 5.33 x 10^-15 kg m2s-3A-2 m/s by dividing 0.80x10^8A by 1.5x10^6 vms, was that correct or should I have multiplied them instead?

Dividing is correct. It boils down to :

##Area = \frac{ID}{\epsilon_o \frac{dE}{dt}}##

The area is not too small. How could you judge? Without knowing the plate separation you can't say much about the capacitance.
If it helps, that area is the same as about 600 mm2.

Would my answer still be correct if I leave it as A = 6.02x10^-4 m^2?

lloyd21 said:
Would my answer still be correct if I leave it as A = 6.02x10^-4 m^2?
Yes. I just gave the mm2 conversion so you might gain a different perspective on what the value represents.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges in its vicinity. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you find the dimensions of plates in an electric field?

The dimensions of plates in an electric field can be found using the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the potential difference between the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. How does the distance between plates affect the electric field?

The distance between plates is directly proportional to the electric field strength. This means that as the distance between plates increases, the electric field strength decreases.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric field strength?

The unit of measurement for electric field strength is volts per meter (V/m). This represents the amount of electric potential energy per unit of charge at a specific point in the electric field.

5. How does the shape of the plates affect the electric field?

The shape of the plates can affect the electric field in various ways. For example, if the plates are parallel, the electric field will be uniform between them. However, if the plates are curved or have irregular shapes, the electric field may not be uniform and can vary in strength at different points.