Finding directions of fast axis to cause circular polarisation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to create a circularly polarized wave using quarter wave plates. The axes of the plate must be at 45 degrees to the E vector in order to have both components on the slow and fast axis equal. The dot product of ##\vec E## with the axes should also be equal. The answer given is (c), but the participant is unsure why. The conversation also briefly mentions a misprint in the choices for a separate question.
Kaguro
Homework Statement
Let ## \vec E = (3 \hat i + 4 \hat j) exp[i(\omega t-kz)] ## represent an electromagnetic wave. Possible directions of the fast axis of a quarter wave plate which converts this wave into a circular wave are:

a) ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[ 7 \hat i + \hat j] ## and ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[ -\hat i + \hat j] ##

b) ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[ 3 \hat i -4 \hat j] ## and ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[ 4\hat i -3 \hat j] ##

c) ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[ 3 \hat i -4 \hat j] ## and ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[ 4\hat i + 3\hat j] ##

a) ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[ 7 \hat i - \hat j] ## and ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[ \hat i + 7\hat j] ##
Relevant Equations
None
The only thing I can think of is that to create a circularly polarized wave the axes of the quarter wave plate will have to be at 45 degrees to the E vector. Only then it can have both components on the slow and fast axis equal. Then the slow axis will cause delay and the resulting vector will rotate circularly. So the dot product of ##\vec E## with the axes should be equal.

The answer given is (c). But I don't know why.
Any guidance will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
45, 135, 225, 315 degree vector to ##(3,4)## are
[tex](-1,7),(7,1),(1,-7),(-7,-1)[/tex]
with normalization factor ##\frac{1}{5\sqrt{2}}## multiplied. I am afraid they are not in choice (a) to (d).

Likes Kaguro
Just a misprint then.

Thank you for clearing my doubt.

1. How can I determine the direction of the fast axis to cause circular polarization?

To determine the direction of the fast axis, you can use a polarimeter or a polarizing filter. Place the polarimeter or filter in front of the light source and rotate it until the light becomes circularly polarized. The direction of the fast axis will be perpendicular to the direction of rotation.

2. What is circular polarization and why is it important to find the direction of the fast axis?

Circular polarization is a type of polarization where the electric field of light rotates in a circular motion. It is important to find the direction of the fast axis because it determines the orientation of the electric field and can affect the properties of light, such as its intensity and color.

3. Can circular polarization be achieved with any light source?

No, circular polarization can only be achieved with certain types of light sources, such as lasers or specialized filters. Natural light sources, like the sun, typically produce unpolarized or linearly polarized light.

4. Are there any applications for circular polarization?

Yes, circular polarization has many practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, 3D imaging, and microscopy. It is also used in optical devices, such as LCD screens and polarizing filters, to control the properties of light.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the direction of the fast axis or is it subjective?

There are several methods for finding the direction of the fast axis, including using a polarimeter, polarizing filters, or mathematical calculations. The method used may vary depending on the type of light source and the desired accuracy of the measurement.