Finding displacement from PE and KE?

In summary, the student was struggling with understanding the concepts of kinetic and potential energy and how to solve a problem involving a diver dropping into water. The teacher assigned equations but did not provide much help. Through the conversation, it was determined that the initial velocity can be found using F=ma and then solving for the final displacement by setting the kinetic energy equal to the potential energy. The final answer is 20.3 meters.
Fei Long

Homework Statement

We were assigned bookwork, we have a test on thursday, and I really don't understand the concepts of the lesson or what we are suppose to be doing. (My teacher is not the best by any standards.) Anyhow, here is the problem.

" A 50.0 kg diver steps off a diving board and drops straight down into the water. The water provides an upward average net force of 1500 N. If the diver comes to rest 5.0 m below the water's surface, what is the total distance between the diving board and the diver's stopping point under water? "

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv^2
PE = mgx

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused on the entire concept of Kinetic and Potential energy. In this problem it says I need to find the divers point underwater? The only thing I can think of is solving for Ek and then Ek equals PEg, and solve for displacement, but I don't have velocity, I asked my teacher for help, and he says those are the only equations we needed, even though later he said he hadn't even looked at the problem he'd assigned.. Any help is much appreciated, not only on this specific problem but concept wise as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
at the top of the board, the diver has PE = mgh
at the bottom, he has KE = (1/2)*m*v^2 = mgh
it takes a 1500 N force 5 meters to decelerate a 50 kg mass traveling at v
so, you can find the initial velocity
so you can find the KE
set that equal to the PE, and solve for h
add 5

Oh yeah! I can do F=ma to get acceleration and plug that into V = ax +vi to get my velocity, and it says when the diver stops, so that's why you add 5 to the end to get 20.3 m . Thanks!

Question 1: What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of the distance and direction an object has moved from its starting position.

Question 2: What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object has due to its position or condition. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

Question 3: What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

Question 4: How are displacement, potential energy, and kinetic energy related?

Displacement, potential energy, and kinetic energy are all related through the law of conservation of energy. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another. In this case, as an object moves, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases.

Question 5: How do I find displacement from PE and KE?

To find displacement from potential energy and kinetic energy, you can use the formula: Displacement = √(2PE/m), where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, and √(2PE/m) represents the square root of the ratio of potential energy to mass. This formula assumes that there is no change in height during the movement of the object.