Finding distance from origin using acceleration

In summary, the acceleration of a particle that begins at rest at the origin is given by a(t)=3ti+4tj, where a is in m/s^2 and t is in seconds. To find the particle's distance from the origin at time t=2s, the velocity and distance are found by integrating the acceleration. The resulting vector value with i and j components can be converted to a magnitude by finding the square root of the sum of the squares. This is also known as "adding in quadrature." By plugging in t=2s, the distance is approximately 7m.
Entr0py

Homework Statement

Acceleration of a particle that begins at rest at the origin is given by a(t)=3ti+4tj, where a is in m/s^2 and t is in seconds. The particle's distance from the origin at time t=2s is what?

Homework Equations

You need to find velocity then distance

The Attempt at a Solution

To find velocity I integrated the acceleration (I haven't covered integration in calculus yet, so it's a bit difficult to do). I got v(t)=(3t^2)/2i+2t^2j. Now to find distance I integrate velocity. I got x(t)=(t^3)/2i+(2t^3/3)j. Plugging in t=2 s, I get x=9.33 m. But my teacher says the answer is about 7 m.

Physics news on Phys.org
Entr0py said:
To find velocity I integrated the acceleration (I haven't covered integration in calculus yet, so it's a bit difficult to do). I got v(t)=(3t^2)/2i+2t^2j. Now to find distance I integrate velocity. I got x(t)=(t^3)/2i+(2t^3/3)j. Plugging in t=2 s, I get x=9.33 m. But my teacher says the answer is about 7 m.
You did fine with your integrations! But note that the result is a vector value with i and j components (or x and y components if you wish). How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

You would do the square root of the i and j hats right?

gneill said:
You did fine with your integrations! But note that the result is a vector value with i and j components (or x and y components if you wish). How do you find the magnitude of a vector?
And thank you for your response.

Entr0py said:
You would do the square root of the i and j hats right?
Square root of the sum of the squares. Like finding the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle. This is also called "adding in quadrature" if you're interested in the lingo.

Thank you man. I found the distance by finding the i and j hat separately. I got 4ti+(16/3)tj m. I plus in t=2 s and I get square root of 44.4. which is about 6.67 which is close to 7 m. Thanks a lot for helping me.

gneill said:
Square root of the sum of the squares. Like finding the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle. This is also called "adding in quadrature" if you're interested in the lingo.
You already know I'm interested in the lingo.

Related to Finding distance from origin using acceleration

1. What is the formula for finding distance from origin using acceleration?

The formula for finding distance from origin using acceleration is d = 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. Can the acceleration be negative when finding distance from origin?

Yes, the acceleration can be negative when finding distance from origin. This indicates that the object is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction.

3. How does time affect the distance from origin using acceleration?

The longer the time, the greater the distance from origin using acceleration. This is because the formula includes the squared value of time, meaning that the distance increases exponentially with time.

4. Are there any other variables that can affect the distance from origin using acceleration?

Yes, other variables such as initial velocity and other external forces can affect the distance from origin using acceleration. These variables should be taken into account when calculating the distance.

5. Can this formula be used for any type of motion?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the distance from origin using constant acceleration. For other types of motion, different formulas may be needed.