Finding Eigenvectors/values given matrix defined by bra-ket notation

In summary, the problem involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a given Hamiltonian, which corresponds to a specific matrix. The characteristic equation is used to find the eigenvalues, which are then used to find the corresponding eigenvectors.
slam7211

Homework Statement

sorry about the lack of LaTex but I don't know how to do bra-ket notation in tex
vectors |1> and |2> are a complete set of normalized basis vectors.
the hamiltonian is defined as |1><1|-|2><2|+|1><2|+|2><1| find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors in ters of |1> and |2>

Homework Equations

for a normal matrix eigenvalues are

Det(A-Iλ)=0 solve for λ
Eigenvectors are then
A*v=λv

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried just making up 2 generic 1X2 vectors and plugging it into mathematica, but its ugly and I am assuming its not what they want, is there some stupid trick I am missing here?
If the first sign in the hamiltonian was + instead of minus I know the first set of terms would equal 1 but its minus so I am just lost here

Physics news on Phys.org

I may be misunderstanding your hamiltonian but it looks to me like that corresponds to matrix
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

If that is correct, then the characteristic equation is
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc} 1-\lambda & 1 \\ 1 & -1-\lambda\end{array}\right|= (1-\lambda)(-1- \lambda)- 1= 0[/tex]
[tex]= \lambda^2- 2= 0[/tex]

so the eigenvalues are [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]-\sqrt{2}[/itex].

The corresponding eigenvectors are given by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x & y\end{bmatrix}= \sqrt{2}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
so that [itex]x+ y= \sqrt{2}x[/itex] and [itex]x- y= \sqrt{2}y[/itex]

and
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x & y\end{bmatrix}= -\sqrt{2}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
so that [itex]x+ y= -\sqrt{2}x[/itex] and [itex]x- y= -sqrt{2}y[/itex]

How did you know the hamiltonian corresponded to that matrix?

Related to Finding Eigenvectors/values given matrix defined by bra-ket notation

1. What is bra-ket notation?

Bra-ket notation, also known as Dirac notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and operators. It consists of a left angle bracket (<), a vertical bar (|), and a right angle bracket (>).

2. What are eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are important concepts in linear algebra. An eigenvector is a vector that, when multiplied by a certain matrix, results in a scalar multiple of itself. The scalar multiple is called the eigenvalue. In other words, the eigenvector remains in the same direction after the transformation.

3. How do I find eigenvectors and eigenvalues using bra-ket notation?

To find eigenvectors and eigenvalues using bra-ket notation, we first need to represent the matrix in terms of bra-ket notation. Then, we can use the eigenvalue equation, which states that the matrix multiplied by the eigenvector equals the eigenvalue multiplied by the eigenvector in bra-ket notation. Solving this equation will give us the eigenvectors and eigenvalues.

4. Can bra-ket notation be used for any type of matrix?

Yes, bra-ket notation can be used for any type of matrix, as long as the matrix is linear and the eigenvectors and eigenvalues exist. Bra-ket notation is a general notation that can be applied to various mathematical concepts, not just quantum mechanics.

5. What are the applications of finding eigenvectors and eigenvalues using bra-ket notation?

Finding eigenvectors and eigenvalues using bra-ket notation is useful in quantum mechanics, where it helps in solving problems related to quantum states and operators. It is also used in signal processing, data analysis, and other fields that involve linear algebra. Additionally, it can be used to understand the properties of a matrix and its transformations.