Finding energy eigenvalues with perturbation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigen-energies and eigenstates of a Hamiltonian involving two spin-1 particles in a strong magnetic field, with the addition of a small perturbation. The basis to use is |m_1,m_2>, with m representing the possible values of 1, 0, or -1. To obtain the eigenvalues, the operator must be applied to all the states.
boudreaux
Homework Statement
There are two spin-1 particles $$S_1,S_2$$
Relevant Equations
$$S_1^2 = S_2^2 = 1(1+1)\hbar^2 = 2\hbar^2$$

there's a strong magnetic field in the Z direction so

$$H_0 = -B*(S_1 +S_2)$$ (all z components here)

I need to fin the eigen-energies and eigenstates of this hamiltonian. Then add a small perturbation

$$H_1 = -J S_1 S_2$$ (still z components) and find the energy levels again.
I know the basis I should use is |m_1,m_2> and that each m can be 1,0,-1 but how do I get the eigenvalues from this?

Physics news on Phys.org
boudreaux said:
Homework Statement:: There are two spin-1 particles $$S_1,S_2$$
Relevant Equations:: $$S_1^2 = S_2^2 = 1(1+1)\hbar^2 = 2\hbar^2$$

there's a strong magnetic field in the Z direction so

$$H_0 = -B*(S_1 +S_2)$$ (all z components here)

I need to fin the eigen-energies and eigenstates of this hamiltonian. Then add a small perturbation

$$H_1 = -J S_1 S_2$$ (still z components) and find the energy levels again.

I know the basis I should use is |m_1,m_2> and that each m can be 1,0,-1 but how do I get the eigenvalues from this?
You really mean ## H_1 = - J (S_1)_z (S_2)_z## and not ##- J \vec{S_1} \cdot \vec{S_2}##, right?
Then to get the energies, just apply that operator to all the states ##| m_1 m_2 \rangle##. These are eigenstates of the ##S_z## operators.

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical technique used to approximate the solutions to complex problems by breaking them down into simpler, solvable components. It is often used in physics and other scientific fields to find solutions to problems that cannot be solved exactly.

2. How does perturbation theory help in finding energy eigenvalues?

Perturbation theory can help in finding energy eigenvalues by allowing us to approximate the solutions to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems. By breaking down the problem into simpler components, we can solve for the energy eigenvalues of a system with a small perturbation added to it.

3. What is the difference between first-order and second-order perturbation theory?

First-order perturbation theory involves finding an approximate solution to a problem by considering only the first-order effects of a perturbation. This means that only the first term in the perturbation series is considered. Second-order perturbation theory, on the other hand, takes into account the first and second-order effects of the perturbation, resulting in a more accurate approximation.

4. Are there any limitations to using perturbation theory for finding energy eigenvalues?

Yes, there are limitations to using perturbation theory. It is most effective for small perturbations and may not provide accurate results for larger perturbations. Additionally, it may not work for systems with degenerate energy levels or for systems with non-linear behavior.

5. How can we verify the accuracy of perturbation theory results?

One way to verify the accuracy of perturbation theory results is by comparing them to exact solutions, if available. Another approach is to vary the strength of the perturbation and see how the results change. Additionally, perturbation theory results can be compared to experimental data to assess their accuracy.