Finding equilibrium expression for an equilibrium equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the writing of an equilibrium constant in the d(i) part of a problem. It is noted that solids and liquids are not included in the equation. The questioner asks if there will be an expression for the reaction, to which the responder states that there is always an expression, but materials with certain properties are not included because their activities evaluate to 1. The problem deals with a mixture of liquids rather than a typical solution. The questioner is advised to convert masses into moles and find initial concentrations to complete the problem.
haha0p1
Homework Statement
Write the equilibrium expression for this reaction
Relevant Equations
Kc=(product A)×(product B)
----------------------------------------
(Reactant A)×(Reactant B)
In the d(i) part, we are asked to write an equilibrium constant. It was mentioned in the chapter that solids and liquids will not be added in the equation. So, I think that there is not going to be any Expression for this reaction as all the reactants and products are liquids. Is my answer right?
IMG_20230123_103236.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solids and immiscible liquids.

I suggest you use square brackets in your above expressions to remind yourself that you are dealing with molarities.

You need to convert the masses of your reactants into moles using their respective molar masses. You can then find the initial concentrations from the moles and the given volume. The reactions shows the reactants as liquids but they are being dissolved in a solvent which then makes them aqueous. You need the values for part (a) in order to complete the entire problem.

There's always an expression. The reason we don't include materials with certain properties is because their activities evaluate to 1, i.e. something multiplied by 1 is itself, so it's not written out. The confusion likely arises from the fact that we usually only include (g) and (aq) samples in these equations, since a lot of problems are concerned with dissolved gases, salts or acid/bases. However, this problem deals with a mixture of liquids rather than what we would usually consider a solution (i.e. something solid or gaseous dissolved).

1. What is an equilibrium expression?

An equilibrium expression is a mathematical representation of the ratio of products to reactants at a specific point in a chemical reaction. It is used to determine the equilibrium constant, which is a measure of the extent to which a reaction proceeds.

2. How do you find the equilibrium expression for a given equation?

To find the equilibrium expression, you must first write out the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, take the concentration of each product and raise it to the power of its coefficient, and do the same for the reactants. Finally, divide the product terms by the reactant terms to get the equilibrium expression.

3. Can the equilibrium expression change?

Yes, the equilibrium expression can change if the conditions of the reaction change. For example, if the temperature or pressure is altered, the equilibrium expression will also change.

4. What is the significance of the equilibrium expression?

The equilibrium expression is significant because it allows us to calculate the equilibrium constant, which provides information about the direction and extent of a chemical reaction. It also helps us understand the relationship between the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium.

5. How does Le Chatelier's principle relate to the equilibrium expression?

Le Chatelier's principle states that a system at equilibrium will shift in a way that reduces the effect of any changes made to the system. The equilibrium expression can help us predict how the system will shift in response to changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants or products.