Finding Final Flux in a Flat Coil-Ring System

In summary, the question asks about the total charge circulating in a ring with a flat coil placed at its center. To find the final flux through the ring, you need to calculate the flux using the current and geometry of the coil, and then use B*A to find the flux through the bigger ring. However, the problem arises because the radius of the ring is given, not the radius of the coil. The area of the coil is given as A, but the radius is not provided.
zorro

Homework Statement

A flat coil of area A and n turns is placed at the centre of a ring of radius r(r2>>A) and resistance R. The two are coplanar. When current in the coil increases from 0 to i, the total charge circulating in the ring is?

The Attempt at a Solution

dQ=dΦ/R

Initial flux = 0
How do I find out the final flux through the ring?

Physics news on Phys.org
To find flux, find B and the effective area: [tex]\Phi = \oint \vec{B}d\vec{S}[/tex] :smile:
To find B, find current of the B source and its geometry: B~i :smile:

B at the centre of the coil is μnI/2a, where a is the radius of the coil.
Flux through the bigger ring is B*A.
The problem I am facing is that the radius of the ring is given, not that of the coil.

Edit: Is something wrong with the question?

Last edited:
So what? :biggrin:

lol...so what?
The final answer contains 'a' (not given in the question) not 'r'.

We have the area of the coil A, right?
r is redundant here I guess.

Even your 'guesses' are always 100% correct :smile:
Thanks!

1. What is induced charge circulation?

Induced charge circulation is the movement of electric charges within a material or object due to an external electric field. This can occur when a charged object is brought near a neutral object, causing the charges in the neutral object to redistribute.

2. How does induced charge circulation occur?

Induced charge circulation occurs when an external electric field is applied to a material or object. The electric field causes the charges in the material to align in a specific direction, creating a flow of charges.

3. What is the purpose of induced charge circulation?

The purpose of induced charge circulation is to create an opposing electric field to the external electric field. This can help to neutralize the effects of the external field or to create a new electric field in a different direction.

4. What factors affect induced charge circulation?

The amount of induced charge circulation is affected by the strength of the external electric field, the properties of the material or object, and the distance between the charged object and the neutral object.

5. What are some real-life applications of induced charge circulation?

Induced charge circulation has various applications in everyday life, such as in electrostatic precipitators used in air purifiers, Van de Graaff generators used in physics demonstrations, and in capacitive sensors used in touch screens and proximity sensors.