What charge circulates through the coil?

In summary, the moving-coil galvanometer is used to measure current while the ballistic galvanometer is used to measure magnetic flux density. The coil of the moving-coil galvanometer has plane-parallel pole faces while the coil of the ballistic galvanometer has a cylindrical shape. The flux changes along the coil when it is rotated through 180 degrees.
moenste

Homework Statement

Describe and account for two constructional differences between a moving-coil galvanometer used to measure current and the ballistic form of the instrument.

An electromagnet has plane-parallel pole faces. Give details of an experiment, using search coil and ballistic galvanometer of known sensitivity, to determine the variation in the magnitude of the magnetic flux density (magnetic induction) along a line parallel to the pole faces and mid-way between them. INdicate in qualitative terms the variation you would expect to get.

A coil of 100 turns each of area 2.0 * 10-3 m2 has a resistance of 12 Ω. It lies in a horizontal plane in a vertical magnetic flux density of 3.0 * 10-3 Wb m-2. What charge circulates through the coil of its ends are short-circuited and the coil is rotated through 180 ° about a diametral axis?

Answer: 100 μC.

2. The attempt at a solution
We need to find charge Q. Q = N A B / R. We don't know B. B = (d Φ / d A) * A = 3 * 10-3 * 2 * 10-3 = 6 * 10-6 T.

So Q = 100 * 2 * 10-3 * 6 * 10-6 / 12 = 1 * 10-7 C.

The correct answer is 100 * 10-6 C or 10-4 or 0.00 01. While my answer is 10-7 or 0.00 00 00 1.

What's wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Moenste,

You multiply the flux density with the area twice !
1 Wb/m2 = 1 T

And if you turn the coil over 180 degrees, how much does the flux change ?

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Hi Moenste,

You multiply the flux density with the area twice !
1 Wb/m2 = 1 T

And if you turn the coil over 180 degrees, how much does the flux change ?
Hi BvU,

Hm, you mean that d Φ / d A = B? Update: T = kg / s2 A and Wb / m2 = kg m2 / m2 s2 A = kg / s2 A = T.

Q = 100 * 2 * 10-3 * 3 * 10-3 / 12 = 5 * 10-5 C.

Not sure, but maybe it should become negative?

Let me ask stepwise: what's the change in flux if you rotate 90 degrees ? And then another 90 degrees ? :smile:

(and yes,: if it becomes negative, what's the total change ?)
(By the way, I now end up a factor of 10 too high compared to the book; my mistake ?)​

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Let me ask stepwise: what's the change in flux if you rotate 90 degrees ? And then another 90 degrees ? :smile:

(By the way, I now end up a factor of 10 too high compared to the book; my mistake ?)​
The answer is 100 μC, not 10 μV, I was changing that while you replied. Sorry for that.

Factor 2 clear ? (if so : Well done ! )

(hehe o and colon gives unintended egg on face )

Likes moenste
BvU said:

BvU said:
Factor 2 clear ? (if so : Well done ! )

(hehe o and colon gives unintended egg on face )
No, still calculating. Just fixed the book answer.

Φ = A B cos θ = 2 * 10-3 * 3 * 10-3 cos 180 ° = - 6 * 10- 6 Wb?

##\Delta \Phi = ...\cos \pi \ - ...\cos 0 ## !

Likes moenste
BvU said:
##\Delta \Phi = ...\cos \pi \ - ...\cos 0 ## !
Maybe every 90 ° the flux is equal to zero?

But in that case Q = N A B / R = N A * 0 / R = 0.

And if we found the charge Q (C) already, why do we need to find flux Φ (Wb)?

Update
Maybe we need to update the formula to: Q = (N A B cos θ) / R = [100 * (2 * 10-3) * (3 * 10-3) * cos 180 °] / 12 = - 5 * 10-5 C?

Last edited:
We needed that to find the charge of 10-4 C that circulates.

Likes moenste
BvU said:
We needed that to find the charge of 10-4 C that circulates.
I'm sorry, still don't quite understand. Could you please tell what is wrong and what is correct in my calculations? At this moment I'm not sure whether something is correct or everything is wrong.

I also don't understand what you mean "find charge that circulates". Q = (N A B cos θ) / R isn't it it?

moenste said:
Q = (N A B cos θ) / R isn't it it?
No. If you hold the doil still, no charge flows. $$Q =\Delta (N A B \cos \theta) / R$$

Likes moenste
BvU said:
No. If you hold the doil still, no charge flows. $$Q =\Delta (N A B \cos \theta) / R$$
The only difference is delta: Q = [(N A B cos θ) / R] - [(N A B cos θ) / R]. But what do we plug into the second pair? Only the angle change from 0 to 180 °.

Q = [(N A B cos θ) / R] - [(N A B cos θ) / R] = - 5 * 10-5 - 5 * 10-5 = - 1 * 10-4 C. A negative one...

Correct. In fact I should have placed N and R in front of the ##\Delta##

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Correct. In fact I should have placed N and R in front of the ##\Delta##
Hm, so it's Q = N A B [Δ (cos θ)] / R?

Q = N A B (cos θInitial - cos θFinal) / R = [100 * (2 * 10-3) * (3 * 10-3) * (cos 0 ° - cos 180 °)] / 12 = 1 * 10-4 C.

Correct?

Must be. But you should convince yourself that it is (and thereby no longer have to ask).

PF isn't very good at stamp-approving things :smile: (gets them in trouble with teachers and such).

However, if you want an opportunity for improvement: put absolute sign delimiters around things to avoid a red minus sign afterwards :rolleyes:

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Must be. But you should convince yourself that it is (and thereby no longer have to ask).

PF isn't very good at stamp-approving things :smile: (gets them in trouble with teachers and such).

However, if you want an opportunity for improvement: put absolute sign delimiters around things to avoid a red minus sign afterwards :rolleyes:
It could be rephrased as " did I understand it correctly?" : ).

I think you did..:wink:

Likes moenste

What charge circulates through the coil?

The charge that circulates through a coil is typically electrons.

Why does a charge circulate through a coil?

A charge circulates through a coil due to the flow of electricity, which is caused by a difference in potential energy between the two ends of the coil.

What is the direction of the circulating charge in a coil?

The direction of the circulating charge in a coil is determined by the direction of the electric current flowing through the coil.

Does the type of material used in the coil affect the circulating charge?

Yes, the type of material used in the coil can affect the circulating charge. Materials with higher conductivity, such as copper, allow for a more efficient flow of electrons and thus a stronger circulating charge.

Can the amount of charge circulating through a coil be controlled?

Yes, the amount of charge circulating through a coil can be controlled by adjusting the voltage or current supplied to the coil. Additionally, the number of turns in the coil can also affect the amount of circulating charge.