Finding final velocity and position of a two ended rocket

In summary, the figure shows a two-ended “rocket” that is initially stationary on a frictionless floor, with its center at the origin of an x axis. The rocket consists of a central block C (of mass M = 6.40 kg) and blocks L and R (each of massm = 1.90 kg) on the left and right sides. Small explosions can shoot either of the side blocks away from block C and along the x axis. After the first explosion, block L is shot to the left with a speed of 2.80 m/s relative to the velocity that the explosion gives the rest of the rocket. After the second explosion, block R is shot to the right with a speed of
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

The figure shows a two-ended “rocket” that is initially stationary on a frictionless floor, with its center at the origin of an x axis. The rocket consists of a central block C (of mass M = 6.40 kg) and blocks L and R (each of massm = 1.90 kg) on the left and right sides. Small explosions can shoot either of the side blocks away from block C and along the x axis. Here is the sequence: (1) At time t = 0, block L is shot to the left with a speed of 2.80 m/s relative to the velocity that the explosion gives the rest of the rocket. (2) Next, at time t = 0.90 s, block R is shot to the right with a speed of 2.80 m/s relative to the velocity that block C then has (after the second explosion). At t = 2.80 s, what are (a) the velocity of block C (including sign) and (b) the position of its center?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so first I need to find the velocity of the center and right blocks after the explosion at t=0
Mass of right block(relative velocity- velocity of center and right blocks)=combined mass of right and left blocks*velocity of right and left blocks
1.90kg(2.80m/s-v)=8.30kg*
v=0.523 m/s
Taking that velocity and multiplying by 0.9 seconds gives the position of the center of the center block at the time that the second explosion occurs
0.523m/s*0.9s= 0.4707m

Next is to use the same method to find the velocity of the center block after the second explosion, I will skip the equation modeling as it is redundant and crude as I am unable to use notation.
1.90kg(2.80m/s-v)=6.40kg*v
v=0.6410 m/s but in the negative x direction so v=-0.6410 m/s
Now this is where I became uncertain. Is this velocity of -0.6410 m/s the new velocity of the center block and as it is a frictonless surface the answer to part a or should it be added the the original velocity of 0.523 m/s?
v=-0.6410m/s
or
v=-0.6410m/s+0.523m/s=-0.1703m/s
That would also affect part b as it would be
0.4707m+-0.6410(2.8-0.9)=-0.7472 m
or
0.4707m+-0.703(2.8-0.9)=0.14713m

The problem being that I entered both sets of solutions and both proved to be incorrect. What is wrong with my approach of using the conservation of momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jrlinton said:
1.90kg(2.80m/s-v)=8.30kg*
v=0.523 m/s
I take it the 8.3 is a typo. I agree with the 0.52 (but 0.522, not 0.523).
Jrlinton said:
v=-0.6410m/s+0.523m/s=-0.1703m/s
The idea is right, but check the arithmetic.

Okay so my problem was that instead of adding the velocity from the first explosion to the velocity of the second, I added the position of the first explosion to the second. This was just me quickly glancing at the wrong number. I got the final velocity to be -0.119 m/s and the final position to be 0.244 m

Jrlinton said:
Okay so my problem was that instead of adding the velocity from the first explosion to the velocity of the second, I added the position of the first explosion to the second. This was just me quickly glancing at the wrong number. I got the final velocity to be -0.119 m/s and the final position to be 0.244 m
Looks right.

Haruspex comes to my rescue once again

1. What is the equation for finding the final velocity of a two-ended rocket?

The equation for finding the final velocity of a two-ended rocket is Vf = Vi + (F * t / m), where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, F is the net force exerted on the rocket, t is the time elapsed, and m is the mass of the rocket.

2. How do you calculate the final position of a two-ended rocket?

The final position of a two-ended rocket can be calculated using the equation d = di + (Vi * t) + (1/2 * a * t^2), where d is the final position, di is the initial position, Vi is the initial velocity, t is the time elapsed, and a is the acceleration of the rocket.

3. What is the importance of knowing the final velocity and position of a two-ended rocket?

Knowing the final velocity and position of a two-ended rocket is important for predicting its trajectory and ensuring that it reaches its desired destination. It also helps in understanding the performance of the rocket and making any necessary adjustments for future launches.

4. How does the mass of the rocket affect its final velocity and position?

The mass of the rocket directly affects its final velocity and position. A heavier rocket will require more force to accelerate and therefore will have a lower final velocity. On the other hand, a lighter rocket will have a higher final velocity. The mass also affects the rocket's acceleration, which in turn affects its final position.

5. Can the final velocity and position of a two-ended rocket be affected by external factors?

Yes, the final velocity and position of a two-ended rocket can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, gravity, and wind. These factors can change the net force and acceleration of the rocket, ultimately impacting its final velocity and position.