Finding Fluid Force on Plate Submerged in Fluid

In summary: The weight of water above that rectangle is the area times the height above y (the volume of water above that rectangle) times the density of water: ((7-(7/4)y)dx)(5- y)\delta
think4432
2. A plate shaped as in the figure [picture.jpg is attached] is submerged vertically in a fluid as indicted. Find the fluid force on the plate if the fluid has weight density 62.4 lb/ft^3

The integral I set up was the limits being -5 to -1 and the integral being (5-y)(-7/4y - 7/4) dy.

[Also on this one I was getting help on it yesterday on another thread...but the tutor seems to offline right now, and I am hoping someone else can assist me to get this problem done]

I was told that the (-7/4y - 7/4) is correct but the (5-y) is not.

After many posts on the last thread I still can't figure out the depth.

Help?

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, it is the other say around- the "5- y" is correct, it is the "(7/4)- (7/4)y" that is incorrect. You want (7/4)(4- y)= 7- (7/4)y.

Let "y" be the height above the base line of the triangle. Then the depth of water above that line is 5- x. Also, by "similar triangles" we have
[tex]\frac{x}{7}= \frac{4-y}{4}[/tex]
where "x" is the width of the triangle at height y.
(The triangle above height y has height 4- y, width x and is similar to the entire triangle with height 4 and width 7)
[tex]x= \frac{7}{4}(4- y)= 7- (7/4)y[/tex]

So a thin rectangle, at height y, with thickness dy, would have area (7- (7/4)y)dx. Taking [itex]\delta[/itex] as the density of water, the weight of water above that rectangle is the area times the height above y (the volume of water above that rectangle) times the density of water: [itex]((7-(7/4)y)dx)(5- y)\delta[/itex]

Integrate that from y= 0 to y= 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Actually, it is the other say around- the "5- y" is correct, it is the "(7/4)- (7/4)y" that is incorrect. You want (7/4)(4- y)= 7- (7/4)y.

Let "y" be the height above the base line of the triangle. Then the depth of water above that line is 5- x. Also, by "similar triangles" we have
[tex]\frac{x}{7}= \frac{4-y}{4}[/tex]
where "x" is the width of the triangle at height y.
(The triangle above height y has height 4- y, width x and is similar to the entire triangle with height 4 and width 7)
[tex]x= \frac{7}{4}(4- y)= 7- (7/4)y[/tex]

So a thin rectangle, at height y, with thickness dy, would have area (7- (7/4)y)dx. Taking [itex]\delta[/itex] as the density of water, the weight of water above that rectangle is the area times the height above y (the volume of water above that rectangle) times the density of water: [itex]((7-(7/4)y)dx)(5- y)\delta[/itex]

Integrate that from y= 0 to y= 4.

So wait, What is it that I am integrating? (5-y)(7-7/4y) dy

From the limits [0,4]

?

What is fluid force?

Fluid force, also known as buoyant force, is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is submerged in it.

What factors affect the fluid force on a submerged plate?

The fluid force on a submerged plate is affected by the density of the fluid, the size and shape of the plate, and the depth of the plate in the fluid.

How is the fluid force calculated?

The fluid force on a submerged plate can be calculated using the equation F = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the submerged part of the plate, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the difference between fluid force and weight?

Fluid force is the force exerted by a fluid on a submerged object, while weight is the force exerted by gravity on an object. Fluid force is always directed upwards, while weight is directed towards the center of the Earth.

How can the fluid force on a submerged plate be used in real-life applications?

The calculation of fluid force on a submerged plate is important in various engineering and scientific fields, such as ship and submarine design, underwater construction, and oceanography. It is also used in determining the stability and safety of objects in water, such as boats and bridges.