Finding formulas for the variable "a" and summations

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between an arithmetic series and the equation ∑ i = n(n+1)/2. The confusion lies in whether starting at i = 0 or i = 1 affects the final result, and the difference between summing from 1 to n and summing from 1 to (n-1). The conversation concludes by confirming the known equation ∑ i = n(n+1)/2.
Robb

Homework Statement

Can someone explain how to get from step 5 to step 6. I'm not seeing the link. Thanks in advance!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• hw3.pdf
    351.6 KB · Views: 217
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what the expression inside the brackets looks like, doesn't it remind you of an arithmetic series?

Does it relate to ∑ i = n(n+1)/2? Because the indexes of sigma begin at i =0 we use n-1 instead of n+1, in the right side of the equation, which would indicate i = 1 to n (for n+1, that is)? Except, adding from zero (i.e., 0+1+2+3+4, +...+n) and adding from n-1 (i.e. (n-1)+(n-2)+(n-3)+...+ 1), I get n+1 for the last column when the columns (of each respective summation) are summed.

Your response indicates that you are quite confused.
Your first question seems to be:
Robb said:
Does it relate to ∑ i = n(n+1)/2? Because the indexes of sigma begin at i =0 we use n-1 instead of n+1, in the right side of the equation, which would indicate i = 1 to n (for n+1, that is)?
So, you seem to think that starting at i = 0 , rather than i = 1 somehow affects the final result?

Is 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n any different than 0 + 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n ?

Except, adding from zero (i.e., 0+1+2+3+4, +...+n) and adding from n-1 (i.e. (n-1)+(n-2)+(n-3)+...+ 1), I get n+1 for the last column when the columns (of each respective summation) are summed.
What columns are you referring to? I see no columns.

It seems that you know that ## \ \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^K i = \dfrac{K(K+1)}{2} \,.\ ## Right?

So, rather than summing to K, or to n for that matter, are you not summing from 1 to (n−1) ?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you find a formula for the variable "a" in a summation?

To find a formula for the variable "a" in a summation, you first need to identify the pattern or relationship between the terms in the summation. Then, you can use algebraic manipulation and properties of summations to rewrite the summation in terms of "a". Finally, you can solve for "a" by using the given values or conditions in the summation.

2. What is the purpose of finding a formula for the variable "a" in a summation?

The purpose of finding a formula for the variable "a" in a summation is to express the summation in a more concise and general form. This makes it easier to calculate the summation for different values of "a" and to make predictions or conclusions based on the summation.

3. Can you provide an example of finding a formula for the variable "a" in a summation?

Sure, for example, if we have the summation 2 + 5 + 8 + 11 + ... + (3a - 1), we can see that the terms are increasing by 3 and the first term is 2. Using the formula for the sum of an arithmetic series, we can rewrite the summation as a/2 [2 + (3a - 1)] = a/2 (3a + 1). Therefore, the formula for the variable "a" in this summation is a/2 (3a + 1).

4. What are some common properties of summations that can be used to find a formula for the variable "a"?

Some common properties of summations that can be used to find a formula for the variable "a" include the distributive property, the associative property, and the commutative property. These properties allow us to manipulate the terms in the summation and rewrite it in a more simplified form.

5. Is there a specific method or algorithm for finding a formula for the variable "a" in a summation?

No, there is no specific method or algorithm for finding a formula for the variable "a" in a summation. It requires a combination of mathematical knowledge, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills to identify the pattern and manipulate the summation to find a formula for "a". Practice and experience with summations can also help in developing strategies for finding these formulas.