Finding functions that are a level set and a graph

In summary, a function F(x,y,z) = x^2 + xy -xz can be used to represent the given surface as a level set, with any constant value C. The function f(x,y) = x + y - (2/x) can be used to represent the surface as a graph of z=f(x,y).
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

This problem concerns the surface determined by the graph of the equation ##x^2 + xy -xz = 2##

a) Find a function ##F(x,y,z)## of three variables so that this surface may be considered to be a level set of F.

b) Find a function ##f(x,y)## of two variables so that this surface may be considered to be the graph of ##z=f(x,y)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not very sure about what I'm saying, but it was nearing my professor's office hours when I asked him this question. He replied something like functions of a level set needs to have three variables, while functions of a graph needs an extra variable, and this applies to all cases, not just the question I'm referring to. So, following his example, I answered (a) like this:

Let ##F(x,y,z)## be the set ## [x,y,z,w | w=F(x,y,z)] ##, and ##F(x,y,z) = x^2 + xy -xz##, because I was thinking that since this equation has three variables, it's a function of ##\mathbb {R}##3##→ \mathbb {R}##4, so the level curves will have three variables. I don't really know what to do with the constant 2 in the equation though. I think putting the constant 2 there is like setting the value of ##w## to find a level curve. I'm not sure I'm right.For (b), I just answered ##z= x + y - \frac{2}{x}##

Did I answer these correctly?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes your answers are correct. The 2 can be ignored because it is a constant, so it doesn't change what the level sets are, only the value that is obtained on each level set. In fact any function of the form ##x^2+xy-xz+C## for constant ##C## is a correct answer to (a). The simplest such function is the one you gave, which has ##C=0##.

Likes toforfiltum
andrewkirk said:
Yes your answers are correct. The 2 can be ignored because it is a constant, so it doesn't change what the level sets are, only the value that is obtained on each level set. In fact any function of the form ##x^2+xy-xz+C## for constant ##C## is a correct answer to (a). The simplest such function is the one you gave, which has ##C=0##.
Thanks!

1. What is a level set and how is it related to a graph?

A level set is a set of points that share the same value for a given function. It is related to a graph because it represents the points on the graph where the function has the same output, or "level".

2. How do you find functions that are a level set and a graph?

To find a function that is a level set and a graph, you first need to identify the level set by setting the function equal to a constant value. Then, you can solve for the variable to get the equation of the level set. To graph the function, you can plot the points on the graph where the function has the same output as the constant value.

3. What are some examples of functions that are a level set and a graph?

Some examples of functions that are a level set and a graph include circles, ellipses, and parabolas. These functions have a constant value for their output at different points, creating a level set, and their graph represents the points where the function has the same output.

4. How can finding functions that are a level set and a graph be useful?

Finding functions that are a level set and a graph can be useful in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can help in analyzing and understanding relationships between variables and making predictions based on the behavior of the function.

5. What are some techniques for finding functions that are a level set and a graph?

Some techniques for finding functions that are a level set and a graph include using algebraic methods, such as substitution and elimination, and using graphical methods, such as plotting points and using transformations. Calculus can also be used to find level sets and graphs of more complex functions.