Finding gauge pressure for gas inside light bulb as it heats up

In summary, the answer for 19(a) is 0.137 atm. The equation used to solve for this answer was P_gauge = (nR/V) (T_f - T_i), where the volume was found using the information that the gas inside the bulb is at atmospheric pressure when the bulb has a temperature of 20.0°C. This was found by using the equation P_f/P_i = T_f/T_i.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Suppose a gas-filled incandescent light bulb is manufactured so that the gas inside the bulb is at atmospheric pressure when the bulb has a temperature of 20.0°C. (a) Find the gauge pressure inside such a bulb when it is hot, assuming its average temperature is 60.0°C (an approximation) and neglecting any change in volume due to thermal expansion or gas leaks. (b) The actual final pressure for the light bulb will be less than calculated in part (a) because the glass bulb will expand. Is this effect significant?
Relevant Equations
PV = nRT
For this 19(a),
1686978078051.png

The answer is 0.137 atm.

My working is
##P_{gauge} = P_f - P_i##
##P_{gauge} = \frac{nRT_f}{V_f} - \frac{nRT_i}{V_i}##
##P_{gauge} = \frac{nRT_f}{V} - \frac{nRT_i}{V}## since volume does not change
##P_{gauge} = \frac{nR}{V}(T_f - T_i)##

However, I am not sure how to go from here since we do not know the constant volume. Does someone please know how to tackle this?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a piece of information you have not used. Can you spot it?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
There is a piece of information you have not used. Can you spot it?
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

No sorry, I cannot spot it.

Many thanks!

"the gas inside the bulb is at atmospheric pressure when the bulb has a temperature of 20.0°C"

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
"the gas inside the bulb is at atmospheric pressure when the bulb has a temperature of 20.0°C"
Ah, thank you for your reply @haruspex!

I see how the volume of the gas can be found now :)

$$\frac{P_f}{P_i}=\frac{T_f}{T_i}$$

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Chestermiller said:
$$\frac{P_f}{P_i}=\frac{T_f}{T_i}$$
Thank you for your reply @Chestermiller !

What is gauge pressure and how is it different from absolute pressure?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure. It is the difference between the absolute pressure and the atmospheric pressure. Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by a fluid, including atmospheric pressure.

How does the temperature of a gas inside a light bulb affect its gauge pressure?

As the temperature of a gas inside a light bulb increases, the molecules of the gas gain more kinetic energy and move faster, resulting in an increase in pressure. This increase in pressure can be measured as an increase in gauge pressure.

What factors can affect the gauge pressure of a gas inside a light bulb?

The gauge pressure of a gas inside a light bulb can be affected by the temperature, volume, and number of molecules of the gas. Changes in these factors can result in a change in the gauge pressure of the gas.

How do you calculate the gauge pressure of a gas inside a light bulb as it heats up?

The gauge pressure of a gas inside a light bulb can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to temperature and the number of moles of gas, and inversely proportional to the volume of the gas. By plugging in the appropriate values and solving for pressure, you can calculate the gauge pressure of the gas inside the light bulb.

Why is it important to find the gauge pressure of a gas inside a light bulb as it heats up?

Knowing the gauge pressure of a gas inside a light bulb as it heats up can provide valuable information about the behavior of the gas and the temperature inside the light bulb. This information can be used in various applications, such as in the design and maintenance of light bulbs and other gas-containing systems.