Finding Hamilton Cycles by hand

However, there are currently no known algorithms for finding a single Hamiltonian cycle in a graph. One tip that has been suggested is to look for a vertex with degree 2, as there is only one way to go through that vertex. Are there any other guidelines or tips for finding Hamiltonian cycles?
annie122
I know there are no algorithms for finding one, but what are some guidelines?
One tip I came up with is that if you have a vertex with degree 2, there is only one way to go through that vertex.

Are there any others?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yuuki said:
I know there are no algorithms for finding one, but what are some guidelines?
One tip I came up with is that if you have a vertex with degree 2, there is only one way to go through that vertex.

Are there any others?

Hi Yuuki, :)

There are algorithms to find Hamiltonian cycles, some of which are summarized >>here<<.

1. How do you determine if a graph has a Hamilton cycle?

In order to determine if a graph has a Hamilton cycle, you need to check if there is a cycle that passes through every vertex in the graph exactly once. This can be done by examining the connections between each vertex and ensuring that all vertices are connected in a continuous cycle.

2. What is the difference between a Hamilton cycle and a Euler cycle?

A Hamilton cycle is a cycle that passes through every vertex in a graph exactly once, whereas a Euler cycle is a cycle that passes through every edge in a graph exactly once. In other words, a Hamilton cycle considers vertices while a Euler cycle considers edges.

3. Can a graph have multiple Hamilton cycles?

Yes, it is possible for a graph to have multiple Hamilton cycles. In fact, if a graph has a Hamilton cycle, it is likely that it has more than one.

4. What is the significance of finding a Hamilton cycle in a graph?

Finding a Hamilton cycle in a graph is significant because it proves that there is a path that visits every vertex in a graph exactly once. This has practical applications in network routing and optimization problems.

5. Is there a specific algorithm for finding Hamilton cycles by hand?

Yes, there are several algorithms that can be used to find Hamilton cycles in a graph by hand. Some common examples include the Hierholzer's algorithm, the Brute Force algorithm, and the Nearest Neighbor algorithm. Each algorithm has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the best one to use depends on the specific characteristics of the graph.