Finding Horsepower given Pressure, Diameter, and Distance

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the horsepower produced when gas is burned in an engine, using the equations for pressure, force, and power. There was confusion about finding the area of a cylinder, but it was determined that the area of the circle where the gas is pushing down is the relevant area. A force of 124071 Newtons was calculated, but there was uncertainty about finding the mass using the equation for force.
Oannes

Homework Statement

When gas is burned in a cylinder of an engine it creates a high pressure that pushes a piston. If the pressure is 100psi and it moves a 3 inch in diameter piston a distance of 5cm every .1 seconds. How much horsepower does this action produce?

Homework Equations

Pressure = Force/ Area
HP = Force * distance / time
Area of Cylender = 2pieR2 (H) + 2pie R2
Kinetic Energy = 1/2 (mass) (velocity)2

The Attempt at a Solution

Im honestly not sure where to start. I can find Force by multiplying Pressure by area, however I can't find the area of a cylinder without it's height. We have only looked at equations for power in the form of Kinetic Energy and Potential Energy, so I assume the problem is solved with the Kinetic Energy equation, however, without mass I do not see how I can solve for kinetic energy. I either need force or mass and I am not sure how I could go about finding either one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oannes said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Im honestly not sure where to start. I can find Force by multiplying Pressure by area,
That's the right approach, and you have enough information and the correct equations to do this.

however I can't find the area of a cylinder without it's height.

The area of the cylinder is irrelevant.
The gas does work on the piston, not the cylinder.

billy_joule said:
That's the right approach, and you have enough information and the correct equations to do this.
Would my Force be pressure? If so that would mean distance and time was given so :

HP = 100psi * 5cm/.1sec

That would make things very simple, but I don't think pressure is the force is it? I mean it makes sense that it is a force, but in the context of the equations the class I am in is going over right now it just seems very puzzling. Is this the right train of thought? Thanks as well.

billy_joule said:
Alright so I've gotten a bit further but still not where I need to be. So I have pressure, diameter, and acceleration and here is the following:

Power = energy/time
Pressure = Force/area
Energy = Force * Distance
Force = mass * acceleration

I have pressure, I have a distance (from velocity), and I have the diameter of a cylinder. From this I know that I need to get a value for energy. To get energy, however, I need to find force. I can't find force, however , because I do not have mass. How do I find force given what I have been given? I just don't see it. I got pressure which can be split up into Force/area, but I don't have one or the other to complete the equation. From what I see I don't have 2 of the three values needed to complete any of the equations above. Power lacks energy, Pressure lacks area and force, energy lacks force, and force lacks mass. I am stuck at a dead end and I do not see a way out. I've been going over this in my head constantly because I know I'm missing something but I just can't figure out what.

billy_joule said:
Wait... should I be looking for the area of a circle and not the area of a cylinder since the pressure is only pushing down on the surface?

So I've gotten force which turns out to be 124071 Newtons, but this is only true if I find it by getting the area of a circle whose diameter is 3inches. Unfortunately, I still am not sure how to solve for anything else. I tried to get mass by usein Force = mass * acceleration, but if I do that I get kg/s which makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Likes CWatters
You have the right approach for force but your value is wrong, you must have made an error in your calculation.
You have a force, a time and a distance...look at your relevant equations.

1. How do I calculate horsepower given pressure, diameter, and distance?

To calculate horsepower, you will need to use the formula: HP = (P x d x n) / 33,000, where P is the pressure in pounds per square inch (psi), d is the diameter of the cylinder in inches, and n is the distance the piston travels in feet per minute (fpm). This formula assumes a four-stroke engine.

2. What is the relationship between horsepower and pressure, diameter, and distance?

Horsepower is directly proportional to pressure, diameter, and distance. This means that as any of these variables increase, horsepower will also increase. Similarly, as any of these variables decrease, horsepower will also decrease.

3. Can I calculate horsepower without knowing the pressure, diameter, or distance?

No, it is not possible to accurately calculate horsepower without knowing all three variables. These variables are essential in determining the amount of power an engine can produce.

4. How does changing the pressure, diameter, or distance affect horsepower?

Changing the pressure, diameter, or distance can significantly impact horsepower. Increasing any of these variables will result in an increase in horsepower, while decreasing them will result in a decrease in horsepower.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the calculated horsepower?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the calculated horsepower, such as engine efficiency, air temperature, and fuel quality. These factors should also be taken into consideration when calculating horsepower.