Finding how much heat released by evaporation of water

In summary, the conversation revolved around the question of where the 120W measurement came from, with the person initially not understanding but then realizing they missed a slide. The topic of heat release from the human body was also brought up, with the conclusion being that evaporation does not release heat but rather absorbs it from the body.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1680591180620.png

Dose anybody please know where they got the 120W from?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There must be more context to the question.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
There must be more context to the question.
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

I'm very sorry, but somehow, I missed the slide before. I think I understand where they got the 120W from now.

Thank you for your help!

What releases the heat? The water needs to absorb energy in order to evaporate. Evaporation does not release heat.

Likes hutchphd, ChiralSuperfields and Lnewqban
nasu said:
What releases the heat? The water needs to absorb energy in order to evaporate. Evaporation does not release heat.
Thank you for your reply @nasu!

The question was about the heat released from the human body I recall. So I think the water absorbs the heat from the human.

Many thanks!

1. How is the amount of heat released by evaporation of water measured?

The amount of heat released by evaporation of water is measured in units of energy, specifically in joules (J) or calories (cal). It can also be measured in terms of temperature change, such as degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.

2. What factors affect the amount of heat released during water evaporation?

The amount of heat released during water evaporation is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature of the water, the humidity of the surrounding air, and the surface area of the water. Additionally, the amount of heat released can also be affected by external factors such as wind and air pressure.

3. How can the heat released by water evaporation be utilized?

The heat released by water evaporation can be utilized in various ways, such as in cooling systems or in the production of electricity. It can also be harnessed for industrial purposes, such as in the drying of certain products or in the distillation of liquids.

4. Is the amount of heat released during water evaporation constant?

No, the amount of heat released during water evaporation is not constant. It can vary depending on the factors mentioned above, as well as the type of water being evaporated (e.g. saltwater vs. freshwater). It can also vary over time as the water continues to evaporate.

5. How does the heat released by water evaporation impact the environment?

The heat released by water evaporation can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it can help regulate the Earth's temperature and contribute to the water cycle. On the other hand, excessive evaporation can lead to droughts and negatively impact ecosystems and agriculture.