Finding initial wavelength of photo given angle of deflection

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the initial wavelength of a photon that loses half its energy when it Compton-scatters from an electron and emerges at 90 degrees to its initial direction of motion. The attempt at a solution involves using Compton's formula for scattering, introducing E=mc^2 and E=hf, and finding the frequency and wavelength of the photon. The conversation ends with the problem being solved.
negation

Homework Statement

Find the initial wavelength of a photon that loses half its energy when it Compton-scatters from an electron and emerges at 90∘ to its initial direction of motion.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ei = Ef +KE
Ei = 0.5Ei + KE

Using compton's formula for scattering of photon:

Δλ = λf - λi = 2.42444x10-12 m

λi = λf - 2.42444x10-12 m

pretty much stuck. If I know the initia energy, find the initial wavelength would be a breeze but I don't have that information. Or if I know the numerical value of KE, I can by KE = 0.5Ei, find initial wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you do with the 90 degrees information ?

[edit] Oops, already used. Good. So what does halving the energy do to the wavelength of a photon ?

Last edited:
BvU said:
What did you do with the 90 degrees information ?

[edit] Oops, already used. Good. So what does halving the energy do to the wavelength of a photon ?

not really sure if I will incur the wrath of the moderators but I already solved it.

The key was introducing E=mc2 and E = hf
one learnts that f could be found.
f is also equals to c/λ and with this λ could be found.

Well done. No reasons for our good moderating spirits to get excited at all !

But I don't have that either.

I understand your frustration with not having enough information to solve this problem. In order to find the initial wavelength of the photon, we need to know the initial energy of the photon before it Compton-scattered. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately determine the initial wavelength.

One possible solution would be to make an assumption about the initial energy of the photon based on similar scenarios or experimental data. However, this would introduce some level of uncertainty in our calculation.

Another approach could be to use the given information about the angle of deflection to calculate the energy of the photon after scattering, and then use this energy to determine the initial wavelength. This would require knowledge of the electron's mass and the angle of deflection, and would also introduce some level of uncertainty.

In summary, without knowing the initial energy of the photon, it is not possible to accurately determine the initial wavelength. Further information or assumptions would be needed to solve this problem.

Related to Finding initial wavelength of photo given angle of deflection

What is the formula for finding the initial wavelength of a photo using the angle of deflection?

The formula for finding the initial wavelength of a photo given the angle of deflection is: λ0 = 2d sin(θ), where λ0 is the initial wavelength, d is the distance between the slit and the screen, and θ is the angle of deflection.

What equipment is needed to measure the angle of deflection for this experiment?

To measure the angle of deflection, you will need a light source, a slit, a screen, and a protractor. The light source can be a laser pointer or a lamp with a small opening. The slit can be made using a razor blade or a thin piece of paper, and the screen can be a white sheet of paper or a wall. The protractor is used to measure the angle of deflection.

How does the angle of deflection affect the initial wavelength of a photo?

The angle of deflection is directly proportional to the initial wavelength of a photo. This means that as the angle of deflection increases, the initial wavelength also increases. Similarly, as the angle of deflection decreases, the initial wavelength decreases.

Can the initial wavelength of a photo be calculated without knowing the angle of deflection?

No, the angle of deflection is a crucial component in calculating the initial wavelength of a photo. Without knowing the angle of deflection, it is not possible to accurately determine the initial wavelength using the formula λ0 = 2d sin(θ).

What are some sources of error when measuring the angle of deflection for this experiment?

Some sources of error when measuring the angle of deflection for this experiment include human error in reading the protractor, parallax error in positioning the protractor, and environmental factors such as air currents affecting the deflection of light. It is important to take multiple measurements and average them to reduce the impact of these errors.