Finding Kernel and Image of Matrix transformation

In summary: You say "Let E1= a(A)(A+2I)2" but I don't know what that means. I could guess that you intended "Let E1= a(A+ 2I)^2" but that would not be what you said. You say that you "found a(A) to be 1/25" but you don't tell us what "a(A)" means. I could guess that you meant it to be "a(A+ 2I)^2" but that is not at all clear. Be sure to write what you mean!
Locoism

Homework Statement

Matrix A =
0 1 0
0 0 1
12 8 -1

Let E1 = a(A)(A+2I)2
Let E2 = b(A)(A-3I)

For each of these, calculate the image and the kernel

Homework Equations

I found a(A) to be 1/25
and b(A) to be 1/25*(A-7I)
Also, if I am not mistaken, I think KernelE1 = ImageE2 and vice versa

Matrix E1 =
4 4 1
12 12 3
36 36 9

Matrix E2 =
21 -10 1
12 29 -11
-132 -76 40

The Attempt at a Solution

Um... well if v1, v2, v3 are the column vectors of E1 respectively, and w1, w2, w3 are those of E2, isn't {w1, w2, w3}α the Kernel of E1 and Image of E2 (and the other way around)?

Part two says to find a new basis such that the linear transformation corresponding to A is represented by
-2 1 0
0 -2 0
0 0 3

Where do I even begin this one?

PS: Is there a way to add matrices on this forum? It's a little messy this way.

Physics news on Phys.org
To write matrices or other math formulas, use LaTeX. There are a number of tutorials on the internet. On this board you begin LaTeX code by [ tex ] (without the spaces) and end with [ \tex ] (without the spaces). You can do "in line" LaTeX with [ itex ] and [ /itex ]. To do a matrix use \ begin{bmatrix} and \ end{bmatrix} (without the spaces) for a matrix with braces:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}4 & 4 & 1 \\ 12 & 12 & 3\\ 36 & 36 & 9\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
use "pmatrix" to get the same thing with ( ):
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}4 & 4 & 1 \\ 12 & 12 & 3\\ 36 & 36 & 9\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Matrix E1 =
4 4 1
12 12 3
36 36 9
No, it's not. That is [itex](A+ 2I)^2[/itex]. Isn't [itex]E_1= A(A+ 2I)^2[/itex]? (I don't know what that "a" in the formula was supposed to be.)

If I have done the calculation correctly,
[tex]E_1= A(A+ 2I)^2= \begin{bmatrix}12 & 12 & 3 \\ 36 & 36 & 9\\ 108 & 108 & 27\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
the kernel of [itex]E_1[/itex] would be the set of all (x, y, z) such that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}12 & 12 3 \\ 36 & 36 & 9\\ 108 & 108 & 27\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}12x+ 12y+ 3z \\ 36x+ 36y+ 9z \\ 108x+ 108y+ 27z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which gives the three equations 12x+ 12y+ 3z= 0, 36x+ 36y+ 9z= 0, 108x+ 108y+ 27z= 0 which are all multiples of one another. In fact, they all reduce to 4x+ 4y+ z= 0 or z= -4x- 4y. That means that any vector in the kernel can be written as
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ -4x- 4y\end{bmatrix}= x\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ -4\end{bmatrix}+ \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ -4\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
so the kernel is the two-dimensional subspace spanned by those two vectors.

The Image of [itex]E_1[/itex] is the set of all (x, y, z) such that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}12 & 12 3 \\ 36 & 36 & 9\\ 108 & 108 & 27\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a \\ b\\ c \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}12a+ 12b+ 3c \\ 36a+ 36y+ 9z \\ 108x+ 108y+ 27z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
for some (a, b, c). That gives the three equations 12a+ 12b+ 3c= x, 36b+ 36c+ 9z= y, and 108a+ 108b+ 27c= z. If we subtract 3 times the first equation from the second we get y- 3x= 0. If we subtract 3 times the second equation from the third, we get z- 3y= 0. That is, z= 3y= 3(3x)= 9x. Any vector in the Image of [itex]E_1[/itex] must be of the form
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} x \\ 3x \\ 9x\end{bmatrix}= x\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 3 \\ 9\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

However, that may have nothing to do with your problem because it is not at all clear how you intended to define "[itex]E_1[/itex]".

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a matrix transformation?

A matrix transformation is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a matrix by another matrix, vector, or scalar. It is used to represent linear transformations in mathematics and can also be used to solve systems of linear equations.

What is the kernel of a matrix transformation?

The kernel of a matrix transformation, also known as the null space, is the set of all vectors that are mapped to the zero vector by the transformation. In other words, it is the set of all inputs that result in an output of zero.

What is the image of a matrix transformation?

The image of a matrix transformation is the set of all possible outputs that can be obtained by applying the transformation to the input vectors. It is also known as the range of the transformation.

How do you find the kernel of a matrix transformation?

To find the kernel of a matrix transformation, you need to solve the system of linear equations represented by the matrix. This can be done by using row reduction techniques to reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form, and then identifying the free variables in the system to find the solutions.

How do you find the image of a matrix transformation?

To find the image of a matrix transformation, you can either use the column space method, which involves finding the span of the columns of the matrix, or you can use the row space method, which involves finding the span of the rows of the matrix. Both methods will give you the same result.