Finding last two digits for a large exponentiation

• Thread starter Quadrat
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the last two digits in the number 12345^6789 and understanding the mathematical principles behind it. The suggested approach is to solve the congruence 12345^6789 mod(100), with the use of the rule a^n = (a-km)^n (mod m). The individual is seeking help on how to apply this rule and the reason behind it, rather than relying on information found online.
Quadrat

Homework Statement

Find the last two digits in ##12345^{6789}##

Homework Equations

I reckon solving ##12345^{6789} mod(100)## would give the last two digits.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that any number that ends with a 5 raised to any positive integer will end with a 5. I also know that the ten digit before the five and the exponent affects the outcome. Both being odd results in 75 as the last two digits and all other odd/even combinations of the two will result in 25 being the last two digits. But I cannot find information or a derivation of why this is the case.

Can someone help me on how to solve this congruence and maybe explain why those rules actually apply? I know the answer but I want to be able to present it with solid mathematics rather than "I read it online".

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It will be much easier if you start applying some of the basic rules such as a^n = (a-km)^n (mod m), where k is an integer.

Well I know that ##12345^2=25 (mod 100)## but I'm having trouble using this to get on with the calculations. I figure there's some easy trick since the exponent is such a ridiculously large number. How do I proceed (if my findings are meaningful that is)?

So why do you know that? What argumentation led to it?

1. How do I find the last two digits for a large exponentiation?

To find the last two digits for a large exponentiation, you can use a technique called modular arithmetic. This involves finding the remainder when the exponent is divided by 100. The remainder will be the last two digits of the final result.

2. What is the significance of finding the last two digits for a large exponentiation?

Finding the last two digits for a large exponentiation can be useful in cryptography and number theory. It can also help in simplifying calculations and making them more manageable.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the last two digits for a large exponentiation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the last two digits for a large exponentiation. However, make sure the calculator has a modulo function, as this is necessary for finding the remainder in modular arithmetic.

4. Are there any specific rules or formulas for finding the last two digits for a large exponentiation?

Yes, there are certain rules and formulas that can make finding the last two digits for a large exponentiation easier. For example, for numbers ending in 1, the last two digits will always be 01. For numbers ending in 2, the last two digits will alternate between 04 and 56, and so on.

5. Can I apply this technique to find the last two digits for any exponentiation?

Yes, you can apply this technique to find the last two digits for any exponentiation. However, keep in mind that as the exponent becomes larger, the calculations can become more complex and time-consuming.