Finding line of intersection of given plane and xz-plane. Please help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intercepts and distance between a plane and a point, as well as the angle between the plane and the xz plane. The conversation also mentions a general method for finding the line of intersection of two planes.
saadatsubs
Homework Statement
Given the plane: 4x - 2y +8z = 8,
Find Parametric equations of the line of intersection of the given plane and the xz-plane.

The answer for the question is: x = 2 +2t ; y = 0, z = -t

I don't understand how to get to this answer and I am going to be tested on this type of question. Can anyone help me understand this please?
Relevant Equations
x = x1 + at
y = y1 + bt
z = z1 +ct
Sorry for the really messy work I know I have a problem.

The other questions that the problem asked before the one I need help with are as follows:
Find the intercepts and sketch the plane.
Find the distance between the plane and the point (1,2,3)
Find the angle between the plane and the xz plane

Thank you for any help you can give me

Attachments

• 20190622_021223.jpg
    20190622_021223.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 281
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello saadatsubs, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

saadatsubs said:
I don't understand how to get to this answer
Aren't you thinking this through too deeply ?
Is it clear that points on the intersection with the xz-plane have y = 0 ? From there $$ 4x - 2y +8z = 8 \ \& \ y = 0 \Rightarrow 4x + 8z = 8 \Rightarrow x + 2z = 2 $$ and any choice for a parameter will do. You say 'the answer', but it's just an answer out of many. Other examples: x = t, y = 0 , z = (t-2)/2, or
z = t , y = 0, x = 2 - 2t etc, etc.

Can't read your picture: stiff neck. 😉

A general method to find the line of intersection of two planes is:
1. The cross product of the two normals to the planes gives a direction vector for the line.
2. Find any point on both planes to use with the direction vector. You can usually set one variable = 0 and solve the remaining two equations for the other coordinates of the point.

1. What is the purpose of finding the line of intersection between a given plane and the xz-plane?

The line of intersection between a given plane and the xz-plane is used to determine the points where the two planes intersect in three-dimensional space. This can be useful in various applications, such as geometry, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. How do you find the line of intersection between two planes?

To find the line of intersection between two planes, you need to first determine the equations of both planes. Then, you can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for the variables. The resulting solution will be the equation of the line of intersection.

3. What information do you need to find the line of intersection between a given plane and the xz-plane?

To find the line of intersection, you will need the equations of both planes. These equations can be in the form of standard form, slope-intercept form, or point-slope form. You may also need to know the coordinates of any points that lie on both planes.

4. Can the line of intersection between two planes be parallel or perpendicular to the xz-plane?

Yes, the line of intersection can be parallel or perpendicular to the xz-plane. This will depend on the orientation and position of the two planes in relation to the xz-plane. For example, if the two planes are parallel to each other, their line of intersection will also be parallel to the xz-plane.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the line of intersection between a given plane and the xz-plane?

Yes, there are a few special cases that may arise when finding the line of intersection. For example, if the two planes are parallel to each other, there will be no line of intersection. If the two planes are the same, the line of intersection will be the entire plane. It is important to consider these special cases when finding the line of intersection.