Finding Local/Absolute Extrema of f(x,y)=x^2+y^2

• Thread starter chunkyman343
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extrema
In summary, the function f(x,y)=x^2+y^2 has critical point (0,0) and is bounded by the triangle x=0, y=0, y+2x=2. After checking the boundary for maxima and minima, the local maximum is at (0,2,4), the absolute minimum is at (1,0,1), and the absolute maximum is at (1,2,5). The critical point (0,0,0) is an absolute minimum and (1,0,1) is a local minimum.
chunkyman343
]I have to find the local/absolute extrema for the following function:
f(x,y)=x^2+y^2

bounded by the triangle x=0,y=0,y+2x=2

So far i have:
fx(x,y)=2x
fy(x,y)=2y
fxx(x,y)=2
fyy(x,y)=2
fxy&fyx(x,y)=0

critical pts at (0,0,0)
domain: 0<=x<=1, 0<=y<=2

i don't know what i should do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since it's only a function of two dimensions, the critical point you get is actually at (0,0). Notice that there are precisely two points where a maximum or a minimum can occur: At a critical point, or on the boundary of the domain. So now you have to check the boundary for any maxima (that you found a critical point on the boundary is pure coincidence; the rest of the boundary still needs to be checked)

So this is what i get:

local max: (0,2,4)
abs. min:(1,0,1)
abs. max:(1,2,5)

What happened to the critical point you found earlier?

(0,0,0) is an absolute min.

how does that look now?

with (1,0,1) being a local min.

Related to Finding Local/Absolute Extrema of f(x,y)=x^2+y^2

1. What is the definition of a local extremum?

A local extremum is a point on a function where the value is either the highest (maximum) or the lowest (minimum) within a specific neighborhood of that point. This means that no other points within that neighborhood have a higher or lower value than the local extremum.

2. How do I find local extrema of a function?

To find local extrema of a function, you can use the first and second derivative tests. First, take the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable (in this case, x and y). Then, set both partial derivatives equal to 0 and solve for the variables. These solutions are critical points, and you can use the second derivative test to determine if they are local extrema.

3. What is the difference between local and absolute extrema?

Local extrema are points on a function where the value is the highest or lowest within a specific neighborhood, while absolute extrema are points on a function where the value is the highest or lowest on the entire domain. Local extrema can exist within the range of a function, while absolute extrema are always at the endpoints of the range.

4. Is there a way to visually identify local extrema on a graph?

Yes, you can visually identify local extrema on a graph by looking for peaks or valleys in the function. A peak is a local maximum, while a valley is a local minimum. You can also use the first derivative test to find the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing, which can help identify local extrema.

5. Can a function have more than one local extremum?

Yes, a function can have multiple local extrema. This can happen when the function has multiple peaks and valleys within its domain. It is also possible for a function to have only one local extremum or no local extrema at all.