Finding Lower Bounds for {2, 4} using Partial Order

• Thread starter BubblesAreUs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bound Pair
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the lower bounds of a given pair (a, b) in T, where T is defined as (X8, ≺) with X8 = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8} and ≺ defined as x ≺ y ⇔ 5x ≤ 3y. The attempted solution produces the pairs {empty set}, {0, 0}, {0, 1}, {0, 2}, {0, 3}, {0, 4}, {1, 2}, {1, 3}, {1, 4}, {2, 4}, with each pair coming
BubblesAreUs
Since I'm not sure if posting assignment questions is allowed, I'm just going to ask specific questions just to be safe.

1. Homework Statement

Find all the lower bounds of given pair. Say (a, b) in T.

Homework Equations

Proof for greatest lower bound:

∀g,a,b ∈ T ⇔ ( g ≺ a) ^ (g ≺ b) ^ ( ∀l ∈ T [ (l ≺ a ) ^ ( l ≺ b)] ⇒ (l ≺ g)

by "≺", I meant Partial Order, ≤

The Attempt at a Solution

Since g are ordered before a and b. Can we assume for pair {2, 4}, g will be equivalent to

{empty set}, {1,0}, {1,1}, {1,2}, {1,3}, {1,4}, {2, 1}, {2,2}, {2,3}, {2,4},

I am not sure if I'm on the right track, but that's what it seems to be according to the proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
In part 1 you write (a, b) which could be an ordered pair or an open interval in ℝ but then you use set notation in part 3. Those could have greatest lower bounds if there's a partial ordering defined on them but I think I need more info. Part 2 makes sense though, a lower bound different from g is less than g but what are they & how are they being compared?

edit: for example with {2, 4} ⊆ (ℕ, ≤) (meaning the set is ℕ & its partial order is ordinary < or =) the greatest lower bound is 2 & the other lower bound is 1. If {2, 4} ⊆ (ℤ, ≤) then the glb is still 2 but the other lower bounds are all the integers less than 2 .

Last edited:
So if the proof for lower bound was applied to the pair {2,4} in T.

∀g,2,4 ∈ T ⇔ ( g ≺ 2) ^ (g ≺ 4) ^ ( ∀l ∈ T [ (l ≺ 2 ) ^ ( l ≺ 4)] ⇒ (l ≺ g)

In other words, g comes before 2 and 4 while l comes before g. I'm trying to compute the lower bound of the given pair. I also forgot to mention that T = ( X8, ≺ ) where ≺ is defined on X8 = { 1, 2, 3, 4,5, 6, 7, 8} by the rule x ≺ y ⇔ 5x ≤ 3y.

Therefore I was able to produce the pairs:

{empty set}, {0,0}, {0,1}, {0,2}, {0,3,}, {0,4}, {1,2}, {1,3}, {1,4}, {2,4},

Each of pairs produced go before their respective elements.

Is this correct?

Now that I understand how you got those pairs, once you know that ##2 \prec 4## because 5×2 ≤ 3×4 you don't need to compare 4 with any lesser elements because it obviously isn't a lower bound for {2, 4}. The way I understood the problem was that you want ##x \in X_{8}## such that ##x \prec 2##, in other words x such that 5×x ≤ 3×2 = 6 which I think you got but you need to give the elements (not subsets) of ##X_{8}## that are lower bounds of {2, 4}, which are 0, 1 & 2. The glb is 2 because it's the lower bound which is greater than the other ones.

Related to Finding Lower Bounds for {2, 4} using Partial Order

1. What is the meaning of "lower bound" in scientific research?

Lower bound refers to the smallest possible value or range of values that a given quantity can have. It is often used in scientific research to establish a minimum limit or boundary for a particular parameter or variable.

2. How is the lower bound determined in a research study?

The lower bound is usually determined through statistical analysis or mathematical modeling. Researchers use various techniques and methods to estimate the minimum value of a variable based on data and evidence from their study.

3. Can the lower bound change over time?

Yes, the lower bound can change over time as new data and evidence become available. As scientific knowledge and understanding evolve, the lower bound for a particular variable may be revised or adjusted.

4. How is the lower bound different from the upper bound?

The lower bound represents the minimum value, while the upper bound represents the maximum value or range of values for a given quantity. They are used together to establish a range of possible values for a variable.

5. Why is it important to determine the lower bound in scientific research?

Determining the lower bound in research is important because it provides a baseline or reference point for future studies. It also helps establish the minimum level of a variable that is necessary for certain outcomes or effects to occur, which can inform decision making and policy development.