Finding Maclaurin series of a function

In summary, we need to find the Maclaurin series for the function $f(x) = (1 - x)^{-\frac 12}$ and its $n$th derivative. We can find the first few derivatives by using the power rule, which gives us a pattern of coefficients. These coefficients can be generalized using the binomial coefficient for real numbers, giving us the expression $\binom{-\frac 12}{n} \cdot n!$.
tmt1
I need to find the Maclaurin series for this function:

$$f(x) = (1 - x)^{- \frac{1}{2}}$$

And I need to find $f^n(a)$

First, I need the first few derivatives:

$$f'(x) ={- \frac{1}{2}} (1 - x)^{- \frac{3}{2}}$$

$$f''(x) ={ \frac{3}{4}} (1 - x)^{- \frac{5}{2}}$$

$$f'''(x) ={- \frac{15}{8}} (1 - x)^{- \frac{7}{2}}$$

So, I get something like $(1 - x)^{-(\frac{1}{2} + n)}$

but I don't know how to get an expression for the left coefficient.

Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I need to find the Maclaurin series for this function:

$$f(x) = (1 - x)^{- \frac{1}{2}}$$

And I need to find $f^n(a)$

First, I need the first few derivatives:

$$f'(x) ={- \frac{1}{2}} (1 - x)^{- \frac{3}{2}}$$

$$f''(x) ={ \frac{3}{4}} (1 - x)^{- \frac{5}{2}}$$

$$f'''(x) ={- \frac{15}{8}} (1 - x)^{- \frac{7}{2}}$$

So, I get something like $(1 - x)^{-(\frac{1}{2} + n)}$

but I don't know how to get an expression for the left coefficient.

Hi tmt! ;)

Those coeffiecients are:
$$-\frac 1 2, \quad -\frac 12 \cdot -\frac 32, \quad -\frac 12 \cdot -\frac 32 \cdot -\frac 52, \quad ..., \quad
\underbrace{-\frac 12 \cdot -\frac 32 \cdot -\frac 52 \cdot ... \cdot -\frac n2}_{n\text{ factors}}
$$
Btw, it may be sufficient to simply specify them as:
$$-\frac 12, \frac 34, -\frac {15}8, \frac {105}{16}, ...$$

Taking it a step further, the generalization of the binomial coefficient for real numbers defines:
$$\binom{\alpha}{n} = \frac{\alpha \cdot (\alpha - 1) \cdot (\alpha - 2) \cdot ... \cdot (\alpha - n + 1)}{n!}
$$
So we can write them as:
$$\binom{-\frac 12}{n} \cdot n! = \underbrace{-\frac 12 \cdot -\frac 32 \cdot -\frac 52 \cdot ... \cdot -\frac n2}_{n\text{ factors}}
$$

What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are powers of the independent variable, centered at the origin. It is named after the Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin.

Why do we find Maclaurin series of a function?

Finding the Maclaurin series of a function allows us to approximate the function using a simpler polynomial expression, which can be useful in solving complex mathematical problems. It also provides a way to study the behavior of the function near the point of expansion.

How do we find the Maclaurin series of a function?

To find the Maclaurin series of a function, we use the Taylor series formula and substitute a = 0. This gives us a simplified version of the Taylor series, known as the Maclaurin series.

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are powers of the independent variable, centered at any point a. A Maclaurin series is a special case of the Taylor series where a = 0, meaning it is centered at the origin.

What is the purpose of the remainder term in a Maclaurin series?

The remainder term in a Maclaurin series represents the difference between the actual value of the function and the value calculated using the finite number of terms in the series. It helps us determine the accuracy of our approximation and make any necessary adjustments.