Maclaurin series for natural log function

In summary: When x = 1, we have $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \left( 1 \right) ^n\,\frac{x^n}{n} = \displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n} \end{align*}$, which is the sum of the first n natural numbers. So, the series you started with has a different interval of convergence for the harmonic and the alternating series tests.
tmt1
I'm examining the Maclaurin series for $f(x) = ln(x + 1)$.

It is fairly straightforward but there are a few details I'm not getting.

So:

$$ ln(x + 1) = \int_{}^{} \frac{1}{1 + x}\,dx$$

which equals:

$A + x - \frac{x^2}{2}$ etc. or $A + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n - 1}\frac{x^n}{n}$

I'm not sure what $A$ is supposed to be here. Is it the same as $C$, or a constant when evaluating the integral of a function?

The text says that because $ln(x + 1) = 0$ for $x = 0$ then $A $ equals $0$ and I'm not sure why this is the case.

Also, the text states that this is valid for $|x| < 1$ and for $x = 1$ and I'm not sure why this is the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:

So:

which equals:

$A + x - \frac{x^2}{2}$ etc. or $A + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n - 1}\frac{x^n}{n}$

I'm not sure what $A$ is supposed to be here. Is it the same as $C$, or a constant when evaluating the integral of a function?

The text says that because $ln(x + 1) = 0$ for $x = 0$ then $A $ equals $0$ and I'm not sure why this is the case.

Also, the text states that this is valid for $|x| < 1$ and for $x = 1$ and I'm not sure why this is the case.

What happens when you substitute $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 0 \end{align*}$ into $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \left( -1 \right) ^n \, \frac{x^n}{n} \end{align*}$?

- - - Updated - - -

tmt said:

So:

which equals:

I'm assuming you understand that the geometric series you started with has convergence where |x| < 1, and so that means your series you get through integrating also has the same interval of convergence except possibly at the endpoints.

Let $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 1 \end{align*}$ into $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \left( -1 \right) ^n\,\frac{x^n}{n} \end{align*}$ and you get $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{\left( -1 \right) ^n }{n} \end{align*}$. As this is an alternating series, you can use the alternating series test to show this is convergent.

When x = -1, we have $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \left( -1 \right) ^n\,\frac{x^n}{n} = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \left( -1 \right) ^n \, \frac{ \left( -1 \right) ^n }{n} = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n} \end{align*}$, which is the harmonic series, known to be divergent.

What is a Maclaurin series for the natural log function?

The Maclaurin series for the natural log function is a mathematical formula used to approximate the natural logarithm of a number. It is derived from the Taylor series, which is a way to express a function as an infinite sum of terms.

How is the Maclaurin series for the natural log function calculated?

The Maclaurin series for the natural log function is calculated by taking the derivatives of the function at 0 and plugging them into the Taylor series formula. The resulting series is then simplified to only include the terms involving the natural log function.

What is the general form of the Maclaurin series for the natural log function?

The general form of the Maclaurin series for the natural log function is: ln(x) = (x - 1) - (x - 1)^2/2 + (x - 1)^3/3 - (x - 1)^4/4 + ... + (-1)^(n+1) (x - 1)^n/n + ...

How accurate is the Maclaurin series for the natural log function?

The accuracy of the Maclaurin series for the natural log function depends on the number of terms used in the series. The more terms included, the closer the approximation will be to the actual value of the natural logarithm. However, the series is only accurate for values of x that are close to 1.

What is the practical application of the Maclaurin series for the natural log function?

The Maclaurin series for the natural log function is used in calculus and other fields of mathematics to approximate the natural logarithm of a number. It can also be used in computer programs to calculate the natural log function for specific values. Additionally, the series can be used in solving differential equations and in other mathematical applications.