Finding Maclaurin series of a natural log function

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the Maclaurin series of the function $f(x) = ln(1 - x^2)$ and whether a certain method is valid. The text provides an alternate answer using a geometric series.
tmt1
I need to find the Maclaurin series of this function:

$$f(x) = ln(1 - x^2)$$

I know that $ln(1 + x)$ equals

$$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n - 1} x^n}{n}$$

Or, $x - \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{3} ...$

If I swap in $-x^2$ for x, I get:

$$-x^2 + \frac{x^4}{2} - \frac{x^5}{3} + \frac{x^6}{4} ...$$

Is this a valid method?

However, the answer in the text says

$$- (x^2 + \frac{x^4}{2} + \frac{x^6}{3} ...)$$

Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I need to find the Maclaurin series of this function:

$$f(x) = ln(1 - x^2)$$

I know that $ln(1 + x)$ equals

$$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n - 1} x^n}{n}$$

Or, $x - \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{3} ...$

If I swap in $-x^2$ for x, I get:

$$-x^2 + \frac{x^4}{2} - \frac{x^5}{3} + \frac{x^6}{4} ...$$

Is this a valid method?

However, the answer in the text says

$$- (x^2 + \frac{x^4}{2} + \frac{x^6}{3} ...)$$

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left( 1 - x^2 \right) } &= \ln{ \left[ \left( 1 - x \right) \left( 1 + x \right) \right] } \\ &= \ln{ \left( 1 - x \right) } + \ln{ \left( 1 + x \right) } \end{align*}$

so that means

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \,\left[ \ln{ \left( 1 - x^2 \right) } \right] &= \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}\,\left[ \ln{ \left( 1 - x \right) } + \ln{\left( 1 + x \right) } \right] \\ &= -\frac{1}{1 - x} + \frac{1}{1 + x} \end{align*}$

Can you relate each of these to a geometric series?

What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a type of Taylor series expansion that is centered at 0. It is used to approximate a function by expressing it as an infinite sum of terms that involve the function's derivatives evaluated at 0.

How do you find the Maclaurin series of a natural log function?

To find the Maclaurin series of a natural log function, we first take the derivative of the function and then evaluate it at 0. This gives us the first term in the series. We then continue to take higher derivatives and evaluate them at 0 to get the rest of the terms in the series. Finally, we combine all the terms to get the Maclaurin series.

Why is the Maclaurin series of a natural log function useful?

The Maclaurin series of a natural log function is useful because it allows us to approximate the value of the natural log at any point by using a finite number of terms in the series. This is especially helpful when calculating complex integrals or solving differential equations.

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a generalization of the Maclaurin series, in which the series is centered at any point x=a. A Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series, where a=0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a Taylor series evaluated at 0.

What is the convergence of the Maclaurin series of a natural log function?

The Maclaurin series of a natural log function converges for all values of x within the interval (-1, 1]. This means that the series can be used to approximate the value of the natural log at any point within this interval with a high degree of accuracy.