Finding magnitude direction and speed of a plane trip

In summary, for a plane traveling from city A to city C with a stop at city B, the magnitude of its displacement is 1044.39 km with a direction of -65.987 degrees measured from the +x direction (east). Its average velocity is 434.33 km/hr with a direction of -34.26 degrees, and its average speed is 637.5 km/hr. The mistake in finding the direction of average velocity was due to using different time intervals for the x and y components instead of defining velocity in terms of displacement.
wbetting

Homework Statement

A plane flies 425 km east from city A to city B in 40.0 min and then 954 km south from city B to city C in 1.70 h. For the total trip, what are the (a) magnitude (in km) and (b) direction of the plane's displacement, the (c) magnitude (in km/h) and (d) direction of its average velocity, and (e) its average speed (in km/h)? Give your angles as positive or negative values of magnitude less than 180 degrees, measured from the +x direction (east).

Homework Equations

magnitude is sqrt of a^2+b^2
direction is tan inverse of ay/ax

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so i found magnitude and direction and got parts a and b, c,e right but got part d, wrong and i think its because of a mathematical mistake but its driving me nuts! i got 1044.39 km for a and -65.987 degrees for b. for c i found velocity avg for x and y for avg velocity of x i did (425km/.666hr)= 637.5 km/h
for avg velocity y i did (954km/1.7 hr)= 384.71 km/hr
for d i did sqrt 637^2+384.71^2= 434.33 km/hr
i can't figure out what i did wrong on d i did inverse tan of -434.33/637.5 and keep getting -34.26 and at one point got -31.11. whattt am i doing wrong?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wbetting! :biggrin:

For part (d) you found the tan for the average velocities over different time intervals. That's why you get the wrong answer. But what is the actual direction of velocity? (Hint:defining velocity in terms of displacement will help)

What tools are needed to calculate the magnitude, direction, and speed of a plane trip?

To calculate the magnitude, direction, and speed of a plane trip, you will need a map, a compass, and a calculator. The map will help you determine the distance and direction of the trip, and the compass will help you determine the direction of the plane. The calculator will assist you in performing the necessary mathematical calculations.

How do you determine the magnitude of a plane trip?

The magnitude of a plane trip can be determined by calculating the distance between the starting point and the destination. This can be done by using a map and measuring the distance between the two points in a straight line. Alternatively, you can also use a GPS device to determine the distance.

What is the direction of a plane trip?

The direction of a plane trip is the compass bearing or angle at which the plane is traveling. This can be determined by using a compass or by looking at a map and identifying the direction in which the plane is headed.

How do you calculate the speed of a plane trip?

The speed of a plane trip can be calculated by dividing the distance of the trip by the time it takes to complete it. The distance can be measured using a map or a GPS device, and the time can be determined by looking at the departure and arrival times of the plane.

What factors can affect the magnitude, direction, and speed of a plane trip?

The magnitude, direction, and speed of a plane trip can be affected by factors such as wind speed and direction, air traffic control restrictions, and the type of aircraft being used. These factors can cause the plane to deviate from its planned route and affect its overall speed and direction.