Finding marginal distribution of 2d of probability density function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding marginal distributions from 2d marginal pdfs and the process of integrating to eliminate a variable and obtain the marginal distribution. An example is given with a square centered at the origin and a joint probability distribution of ##f(x, y) = k## for ##|x| \leq 0.5, |y| \leq 0.5## where the constant k is found to be 1. The marginal distribution for x is also found to be 1 for ##-0.5 \leq x \leq 0.5##. Another example is given with a circle centered at the origin and a joint probability distribution of ##f(x, y) = k##
Master1022
Homework Statement
Given the following probability distribution [itex] f(x, y) [/itex], find [itex] p(x) [/itex], the marginal distribution.
Relevant Equations
Marginal probability
Hi,

I have question about finding marginal distributions from 2d marginal pdfs that lead to the probabilities being greater than 1.

Question:
If we have the joint probability distribution ## f(x, y) = k \text{ for} |x| \leq 0.5 , |y| \leq 0.5 ## and 0 otherwise. I have tried to define a square with side lengths 1 which is centered at the origin.
1) Find the constant [itex] k [/itex]
2) Find [itex] p(x) [/itex], the marginal probability distribution

Attempt:
1) Using the law of total probability:
[tex] \iint f(x, y) dx dy = 1 \rightarrow k(1)(1) = 1 \rightarrow k = 1 [/tex]

2) Now when we find the marginal distribution [itex] p(x) [/itex]. Given the symmetry of the distribution, I thought this could also be done by folding the square over the x-axis and combining the probabilities. However, if we do this, then the distribution becomes a uniform distribution with [itex] p(x) = 2 [/itex] for

[itex] -0.5 \leq x \leq 0.5 [/itex]. This doesn’t seem to be correct.

Would someone be able to point me the right direction of how to proceed? Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Master1022 said:
I thought this could also be done by folding the square over the x-axis and combining the probabilities.
That would still give a joint distribution, but with a halved range for y.
You need to eliminate y by integrating across its range, keeping x constant.
In general, the bounds of y might depend on x, but not here.

Master1022 said:
2) Now when we find the marginal distribution [itex] p(x) [/itex]. Given the symmetry of the distribution, I thought this could also be done by folding the square over the x-axis and combining the probabilities.
Ok. But you still have to integrate this over the "folded" values of ##0 \lt y \lt 0.5##, so what does that give you? In fact, you didn't get any benefit from "folding" the original joint PDF. You could have just integrated ##f(x,y)=1## over the values of ##-0.5 \lt y \lt 0.5##.
However, if we do this, then the distribution becomes a uniform distribution with [itex] p(x) = 2 [/itex] for

[itex] -0.5 \leq x \leq 0.5 [/itex]. This doesn’t seem to be correct.
It is not correct.

Thank you very much @haruspex and @FactChecker for your replies! I just have some follow up questions. I do see that I ought to have integrated.

haruspex said:
That would still give a joint distribution, but with a halved range for y.
Okay that makes more sense - compressing that y range from 0 to 0.5 would result in a uniform distribution of ## p(x) = 1 ## from ## -0.5 \leq x \leq 0.5 ##.

FactChecker said:
You could have just integrated ##f(x,y)=1## over the values of ##-0.5 \lt y \lt 0.5

haruspex said:
You need to eliminate y by integrating across its range, keeping x constant.
So if I integrate then ## p(x) = \int f(x, y) dy = \int_{-0.5}^{0.5} (1) dy = 1 ##. This agrees with the answer above of ## p(x) = 1 ## from ## -0.5 \leq x \leq 0.5 ##

haruspex said:
In general, the bounds of y might depend on x, but not here.
Okay thank you. So if we had a similar situation, but instead we had a circle (still centered) at the origin with radius [itex] 1/\sqrt{\pi} [/itex] and we wanted to find the marginal distribution ## p(x) ##, then would have an integral that looked something like?
[tex] p(x) = \int f(x, y) dy = \int_{-\sqrt{\frac{1}{\pi} - x^2}}^{\sqrt{\frac{1}{\pi} - x^2}} (1) dy = 2 \sqrt{\frac{1}{\pi} - x^2}[/tex]

However, this does seem to suggest a probability greater than ## 1 ## for ## x = 0 ##...

Master1022 said:
this does seem to suggest a probability greater than 1 for x=0...
Why is that a problem? Probability densities can be as high as you like.

Likes Master1022, sysprog and FactChecker
Master1022 said:
However, this does seem to suggest a probability greater than ## 1 ## for ## x = 0 ##...
Not probability, which can never be greater than 1, but probability density, which can be as great as you like as long as its integral does not exceed 1.

Likes Master1022, sysprog and Delta2
haruspex said:
Why is that a problem? Probability densities can be as high as you like.
FactChecker said:
Not probability, which can never be greater than 1, but probability density, which can be as great as you like as long as its integral does not exceed 1.
That is true. Thank you very much for the clarification!

1. What is a marginal distribution in probability?

A marginal distribution is a probability distribution that shows the probability of a single variable without considering the other variables. In other words, it is the probability of one variable in a multivariate distribution.

2. How is the marginal distribution calculated?

To find the marginal distribution of 2D probability density function, you need to integrate the joint probability density function over the variable that you want to find the marginal distribution for. This process is called marginalization.

3. Why is finding marginal distribution important in probability?

Finding marginal distribution is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of individual variables in a multivariate distribution. It also helps in simplifying complex probability distributions and making them easier to interpret.

4. Can the marginal distribution be used to find the joint distribution?

Yes, the marginal distribution can be used to find the joint distribution. This is because the joint distribution is the product of the marginal distributions and the conditional distribution of the variables.

5. Is the marginal distribution the same as the conditional distribution?

No, the marginal distribution and the conditional distribution are not the same. The marginal distribution shows the probability of one variable without considering the other variables, while the conditional distribution shows the probability of one variable given the values of the other variables.