Finding mass from moment of inertia graph - inconsistency?

In summary: So, in that sense, I'm glad I made this mistake, as it was a good reminder to be careful about what I'm assuming.In summary, the problem involves a disk that can rotate about an axis at a radial distance h from the center of the disk. The rotational inertia of the disk is given as a function of h, with the values at h = 0 and h = 0.2m provided. The task is to determine the mass of the disk using this data. However, the problem does not specify that the disk has uniform mass density, causing a discrepancy in the calculated moment of inertia when using the parallel axis theorem. This serves as a reminder to be careful about assumptions when solving problems.
marenubium

Homework Statement

I have a disk that can rotate about an axis at a radial distance h from the center of the disk. I am given a graph showing the the rotational inertia I of the disk as a function of the distance h from the center of the disk out to the edge of the disk. From the graph (see attached picture) I can see that the ends of the graph are as follows: when h is zero (i.e. the axis is right on the center of the disk) I = 0.03 kg*m^2 and when h = 0.2m, I = 0.63 kg*m^2.

I am asked to determine the mass of the disk from these data.

Homework Equations

##I_p = I_{cm} + Md^2## (parallel axis theorem)
##I_{disk} = 1/2Mr^2## (the moment of inertia of a disk about its CM)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let point A be when h = 0, i.e. the axis is right on the CM. Let point B be when h = 0.2, i.e. on the edge of the disk. Applying the parallel axis theorem to both locations and given the values from the problem:

##I_B = I_{disk} + M(0.2)^2 = 0.63##
##I_A = I_{disk} + M(0)^2 = 0.03##

Subtracting the second equation from the first gives

##I_B - I_A = 0.63 - 0.03 = 0.60 = M[(0.2)^2 - 0^2]##

and so M = 15kg, which is the correct answer. But if I actually try to use this to recalculate the moment of inertia of the disk I get

##I_{disk} = 1/2Mr^2 = 1/2(15)(0.2^2) = 0.3 \not= I_A = 0.03##

and similarly I get the "wrong" answer for I_B using the parallel axis theorem. Is the problem just written poorly, or am I missing something really obvious here?

Thanks for any help... first time using Tex... hope I did okay.

Attachments

• question.png
    question.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 501
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF!

You're thinking correctly. Note that the problem does not state that the disk is of uniform mass density. So, it might be a disk where Icm is not given by (1/2)Mr2.

Oh, of course! I was completely on autopilot and made that assumption without thinking.

Thanks so much!

The problem was poorly written ... the disk's radius is only .067m, but they can spin it around an axis that's 3x that far from the center!
(expensive massless washer way bigger than the real disk?) . They should re-program the range of I_A values.

I'm admittedly not sure where you are getting 0.067 m from. The problem statement implies that the edge of the disk from the center and thus the radius is 0.2 m.

oops, 0.0632 m ... from I_disk = 0.03 kgm^2 and mass 15kg.

Right, but as TSny pointed out it's probably not reasonable here to assume the disk is uniform.

they called it a disk ... they're supposed to guide your model, not mis-guide it.
even a sphere would need radius less than about .1m !

While I don't disagree, at the end of the day the bottom line is I made an assumption I shouldn't have, and that's what caused my problem on this problem, and I'll be more careful about my assumptions in the future.

Related to Finding mass from moment of inertia graph - inconsistency?

1. What is the moment of inertia graph?

The moment of inertia graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between the mass and rotational inertia of an object. It shows how the moment of inertia changes as the mass of an object is increased or decreased.

2. How do you find mass from a moment of inertia graph?

To find mass from a moment of inertia graph, you need to use the equation I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. By rearranging the equation, you can solve for mass (m = I/r^2).

3. What is an inconsistency in a moment of inertia graph?

An inconsistency in a moment of inertia graph refers to a point or data that does not fit the overall trend of the graph. This can be caused by experimental error, measurement inaccuracies, or other factors that affect the accuracy of the data.

4. How can you address an inconsistency in a moment of inertia graph?

If you encounter an inconsistency in a moment of inertia graph, it is important to review your experimental procedure and data to identify any potential errors. You can also repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure the accuracy of your data. Additionally, consulting with a colleague or instructor may help you identify the cause of the inconsistency.

5. Can an inconsistency in a moment of inertia graph affect the accuracy of the calculated mass?

Yes, an inconsistency in a moment of inertia graph can affect the accuracy of the calculated mass. If the inconsistency is significant, it can lead to a larger margin of error in the calculated mass value. It is important to identify and address any inconsistencies in order to obtain accurate and reliable results.