Finding mass with dirac delta function

In summary, Homework Equations state that the mass of an object is given by: M=\int_{\partial V}\rho(\vec{r})dV. I was having trouble with the second delta and wasn't quite sure how to integrate it. I think it's not a problem to calculate it without Mathematica. I also think that the other terms are not integrated and give zero.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

Distribution of matter is given in cylindrical coordinates:

[tex]\rho(\vec{r})=\frac{1}{\rho}\delta(\rho^2-10\rho+9)\delta\left(\frac{z^2-a^2}{z^2+a^2}\right)\delta(\cot(\phi))[/tex]

where [tex]a>0[/tex] is a constant. Find the complete mass of the object.

Homework Equations

The mass of the object is given as:

[tex]M=\int_{\partial V}\rho(\vec{r})dV[/tex]

So in order to calculate the integral I need to expand the deltas with this formula:

[tex]\delta(f(x))=\sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\delta(x-x_i)}{|f'(x_i)|}[/tex], where [tex]|f'(x_i)|[/tex] is the derivative of the function evaluated at the zeroes of the function [tex]x_i[/tex].

Integral in cylindrical coordinate system is:

[tex]\int_0^\infty\rho d\rho\int_0^{2\pi} d\phi\int_{-\infty}^\infty dz[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have expanded the first delta:

[tex]\delta(\rho^2-10\rho+9)=\frac{\delta(\rho-1)}{8}+\frac{\delta(\rho-9)}{8}[/tex].

I'm having problem with the second one. Do I 'brake' it with partial fractions?

Third one (which I'm not sure I got it right):

[tex]\delta(\cot(\phi))=\sum_{m=-\infty}^\infty\delta\left(\phi-\left(m+\frac{1}{2}\right)\pi\right)[/tex]

So my problem is: how do I solve the second delta and I'm not quite sure I got the third one right. How should I integrate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see no problem in the second delta. Just find the zeros and calculate the derivatives.
Your answer for the third delta seems to be right.

So the second one is:
[tex]a\left[\delta(z-a)+\delta(z+a)\right][/tex]?

But how do I calculate the integral? With [tex]\phi[/tex] part? When I put it into Mathematica I get different answers:
For putting sum in front of the integral:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\theta(3 - 2 m, \pi + 2 m \pi)[/tex]
And for putting integral in front of the sum I have [tex]\frac{7}{\pi}[/tex], which is weird because shouldn't I get the same results no matter which goes first?

But that's on the side note, on my exam I won't have Mathematica :D, so how to calculate that?

The integral of delta function is:

[tex]
\int_a^b f(x) \delta(x-c)\,dx = \begin{cases}
f(c), & a < c < b; \\
f(c)/2, & c = a \;\text{or}\; c = b; \\
0, & \text{otherwise}.
\end{cases}
[/tex]

I think it's not a problem to calculate it without Mathematica.

In cylindrical coordinates

[tex]
0 \leq \phi < 2\pi.
[/tex]

You should keep only two terms of the infinite sum.

Maxim Zh said:
The integral of delta function is:

[tex]
\int_a^b f(x) \delta(x-c)\,dx = \begin{cases}
f(c), & a < c < b; \\
f(c)/2, & c = a \;\text{or}\; c = b; \\
0, & \text{otherwise}.
\end{cases}
[/tex]

I think it's not a problem to calculate it without Mathematica.

In cylindrical coordinates

[tex]
0 \leq \phi < 2\pi.
[/tex]

You should keep only two terms of the infinite sum.

Those terms are random or? I'm confused because I have only solved simple integrals with delta function in my class, never with these sums :(

No, they are not random.
When you integrate the sum

[tex]
\sum_m \delta(\phi - \phi_m)
[/tex]

only two terms fit the condition

[tex]\phi_m \in (0, 2\pi).[/tex]

The other terms are not integrated and give zero.

I see, that's because I'm only need two zeros in that interval, so I'm only using those two! Thanks!

Last edited:

Related to Finding mass with dirac delta function

1. How does the Dirac delta function help in finding mass?

The Dirac delta function is a mathematical tool used to represent point masses or point charges. It helps in finding mass by describing an infinitesimally small point mass at a specific location, which can then be integrated to find the total mass.

2. What is the equation for finding mass with the Dirac delta function?

The equation for finding mass with the Dirac delta function is M = ∫ρ(x)δ(x-x0)dx, where M is the mass, ρ(x) is the mass density, and x0 is the location of the point mass.

3. Can the Dirac delta function be used to find the mass of a continuous object?

No, the Dirac delta function is only used to represent point masses. To find the mass of a continuous object, the mass density needs to be described by a function that can be integrated over the entire object.

4. Is the Dirac delta function a physical entity?

No, the Dirac delta function is a mathematical construct and does not represent a physical entity. It is used as a mathematical tool to simplify calculations in physics and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Dirac delta function to find mass?

Yes, the Dirac delta function can only be used in systems where point masses are present, and the mass density is well-defined. It cannot be used to find the mass of objects with continuously varying densities or in systems with non-point masses.