Finding momentum of a photon/ Finding the mass of a object

In summary, the conversation is about comparing two different approaches to solving the same homework questions and discussing the most correct method. The questions involved calculating the momentum and mass of particles using different equations and units. Both approaches are valid, and it ultimately depends on personal preference and understanding.
LionLieOn

Homework Statement

So me and my friend were comparing our homework and we noticed that although we had the same answers, we both had different ways of answer them.

So I was just wondering who's work, my friend or mine, is the most correct?Here's the questions.

1. Calculate the momentum of a 140 eV photon.
2. A certain microscopic object has a wavelength of 8.4 X 10-14 m and a speed of 1.2 X 105 m/s. What is the mass of the object?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers for the first question.My work:

140 eV Convert into joules:
E=(1.60 X 10-19)(140)
E= 2.24 X 10-17 J

Finding momentum:

p=E/c

p=(2.24 X 10-17) / ( 3.0 X 108 )

p= 7.466666667 X 10-26
Rounded,
p= 7.5 X 10-26 kgm/s

-------------------------------------------------

My friends work:140 eV Convert into joules:
E=(1.60 X 10-19)(140)
E= 2.24 X 10-17 J

First find the wavelength:

E=hc/ (Lambda symbol)

(Lambda symbol)= hc/E

(Lambda symbol)= 8.9 X 10-9 m

Now find momentum:

p=h/ (Lambda symbol)

p=(6.63 X 10-34) / (8.9 X 10-9 )

p= 7.5 X 10 -26 kgm/s
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second question.

My work:

(Lambda symbol) = h/mv

m=h/ (Lambda symbol)v

m= (6.63 X 10-34)/ (8.4 X 10-14) (1.2 X 105)

m= 6.577380952 X 10-26)
Rounded,
m= 6.6 X 10-26) kg
---------------------------------------------------------
my friends work:

Finding momentum of the object.

p= h/ (Lambda Symbol)

p= (6.63 X 10-34) / (8.4 X 10-14)

p= 7.89 X 10-21 kgm/s

Now find the mass of the object

p=mv

m=p/v

m= 7.89 X 10-21 / (1.2 X 105)

m= 6.577 X 10-26

Rounded,
m= 6.6 X 10-26 kg

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1) I would say the photon has a momentum of ##140 eV/c##.

Likes TJGilb
PeroK said:
For 1) I would say the photon has a momentum of ##140 eV/c##.

Ohh did I get the unit wrong for the momentum of a photon?

LionLieOn said:
Ohh did I get the unit wrong for the momentum of a photon?
If you measure energy in ##eV## it would seem appropriate to measure momentum in ##eV/c##.

PeroK said:
If you measure energy in ##eV## it would seem appropriate to measure momentum in ##eV/c##.

Hmmm what if I converted 140eV into joules? Would I still use eV/c or put it as kgm/s ?

LionLieOn said:
Hmmm what if I converted 140eV into joules? Would I still use eV/c or put it as kgm/s ?

Your units aren't wrong per se, it's just strange that you would choose to convert to Joules instead of staying in eV which would be much easier in this case.

LionLieOn said:

If you want the momentum in SI units just convert energy to Joules and divide by ##c##. No need for any rigmarole.

As to which approach is more correct, both are perfectly fine. You'll find that problems in physics tend to have a great number of viable approaches. It's just a matter of which makes the most sense to you.

PeroK said:
If you want the momentum in SI units just convert energy to Joules and divide by ##c##. No need for any rigmarole.
TJGilb said:
As to which approach is more correct, both are perfectly fine. You'll find that problems in physics tend to have a great number of viable approaches. It's just a matter of which makes the most sense to you.

Thank you guys very much!

1. What is the formula for finding the momentum of a photon?

The formula for finding the momentum of a photon is p = E/c, where p is the momentum, E is the energy of the photon, and c is the speed of light.

2. Can momentum be calculated for an object with no mass?

Yes, momentum can be calculated for an object with no mass, such as a photon. In this case, the momentum is determined by the energy and speed of the object.

3. How is the mass of an object calculated using momentum?

The mass of an object can be calculated using the equation m = p/c, where m is the mass, p is the momentum, and c is the speed of light.

4. Is momentum conserved in a closed system?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum in a closed system remains constant.

5. How can the mass of an object be determined experimentally?

The mass of an object can be determined experimentally by measuring its momentum and velocity, and using the equation m = p/v, where m is the mass, p is the momentum, and v is the velocity.