Finding Multiple Angles from Sine Values on the Unit Circle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of 0.025 using two separate equations and the need to show work step by step with numbers only at the end. The conversation also explores finding a second angle with a given sine value and the use of an interactive unit circle to understand the relation between angles and their sines.
Ethan
Homework Statement
A straight wire 0.280 m in length carries a current of 3.40 A. What are the two angles between the direction of the current and the direction of a uniform 0.0400 T magnetic field for which the magnetic force on the wire has magnitude 0.0250 N?
Relevant Equations
F=ILBsin
I got 41 and correspondingly 49 from this. It said its wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work.

0.025=3.4*.28*.04sinx sin^-1(0.025/0.3808)=41

I have no idea where you got that, but am sure 0.025 does not equal 41.

I recommend that you show your work step by step and only put numbers in at the end.

Vanadium 50 said:
I have no idea where you got that, but am sure 0.025 does not equal 41.
It was two separate equations.
Ethan said:
0.025=3.4*.28*.04sinx
sin^-1(0.025/0.3808)=41
The 0.3808 appears to be a typo for a tenth of that.

F5FB9864-C1A9-47E4-9F69-C707E5506768.jpeg

41o appears to be correct. But why did you choose the complementary angle (49o) for the second angle?

sin(41o) ≠ sin(49o)

cos^-1(0.6565) is 86.2 but that didn't work. How am I supposed to find a second angle?

Ethan said:
cos^-1(0.6565) is 86.2 but that didn't work. How am I supposed to find a second angle?
Draw two straight lines crossing. If one of the angles formed is x, what is the other?
Alternatively, if x=a is one solution of sin(x)=y, what is the other in the range 0 to 360?

Ethan said:
You have shown that sinθ = .6565. So, you need to find two angles θ for which sinθ = .6565

You probably remember that sin(30o) = 0.5
Can you think of another angle whose sine is 0.5? What is the relation between the two angles?

Try this interactive unit circle. Click on the "Angles" button to display angles on the circle. As you move around on the circle, the length of the green line corresponds to the sine of the angle.

Likes Delta2

1. What is the relationship between angles and magnetic fields?

The angle of a magnetic field is the direction in which it is pointing relative to a reference point. This angle is measured in degrees or radians and can be used to determine the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

2. How are angles from magnetic fields used in scientific research?

Angles from magnetic fields are used in a variety of scientific research, such as in geology, astronomy, and particle physics. They can help scientists understand the structure and movement of Earth's magnetic field, the behavior of celestial bodies, and the interactions between particles.

3. Can angles from magnetic fields be measured accurately?

Yes, angles from magnetic fields can be measured accurately using specialized tools such as a compass, magnetometer, or spectrometer. These instruments are designed to detect and measure the angle of the magnetic field at a specific location.

4. How do changes in magnetic fields affect angles?

Changes in magnetic fields can cause the angle of the field to change as well. For example, if a magnetic field is moving, the angle at a specific location may change as the field moves. Additionally, changes in the strength of a magnetic field can also affect the angle at which it is measured.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding angles from magnetic fields?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for understanding angles from magnetic fields. For example, compasses use the Earth's magnetic field and its angle to help people navigate. Magnetic fields are also used in technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators, which rely on precise measurements of angles to function properly.