Finding Net Force [w/ Vector Addition]

In summary, the problem involves finding the net force and acceleration of a 20 kg object being acted on by a 90 N [E60N] force, a 40 N [S] force, and a 40 N [E27S] force. Using the equation ƩF=ma, the resultant force is found by adding the vector components, resulting in 80.64 N [E] and 19.78 N [N]. This resultant force can be used to determine the magnitude and direction of the acceleration, which is always in the direction of the net force. The final answer is 83.03 N [E3.5N].
harujina

Homework Statement

A 20 kg object is being acted on by a 90 N [E60N] force, a 40 N force, and a 40 N [E27S] force.
Find the net force acting on the object and its acceleration.

Homework Equations

ƩF = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that I have to add vector components here.
So as a result, I got 80.64 N [E] and 19.78 N [N].
I got a force pulling North and a force pushing East. But now I don't know what to do with these forces...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you worked correctly so far, these are the components of the resultant force.
You need to find the magnitude and the direction (angle) of this resultant.

harujina said:

Homework Statement

A 20 kg object is being acted on by a 90 N [E60N] force, a 40 N force, and a 40 N [E27S] force.
Find the net force acting on the object and its acceleration.

Homework Equations

ƩF = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that I have to add vector components here.
So as a result, I got 80.64 N [E] and 19.78 N [N].
I got a force pulling North and a force pushing East. But now I don't know what to do with these forces...?

Well, what force vector did you get when you added the components of the original three vectors which were given? Don't you get a Resultant vector with a magnitude and a direction?

Can't you use this resultant vector to answer the second part of your problem?

Oh, so is it right for me to use Pythagorean theorem here to find the resultant vector?
and then that would be the net force which can be used to determine acceleration, correct?

*I worked it out and got 83.03 N [E3.5N]
Just wondering if it's necessary to include direction [E3.5N]
I know acceleration is a vector quantity but what does this implicate? Simply the direction of acceleration for my final answer?

harujina said:
Oh, so is it right for me to use Pythagorean theorem here to find the resultant vector?
and then that would be the net force which can be used to determine acceleration, correct?

*I worked it out and got 83.03 N [E3.5N]
Just wondering if it's necessary to include direction [E3.5N]
I know acceleration is a vector quantity but what does this implicate? Simply the direction of acceleration for my final answer?
Yes, the direction of the acceleration is always in the direction of the net force.

PhanthomJay said:
Yes, the direction of the acceleration is always in the direction of the net force.

Ok, thank you!

Related to Finding Net Force [w/ Vector Addition]

1. What is net force and how is it calculated?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is calculated by adding all individual forces acting on an object using vector addition.

2. How does vector addition work in finding net force?

Vector addition involves breaking down individual forces into their x and y components, adding these components separately, and then combining the results to find the net force in both magnitude and direction.

3. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces have equal magnitudes and opposite directions, resulting in a net force of zero and no movement. Unbalanced forces have unequal magnitudes and/or the same direction, resulting in a net force and causing movement.

4. Can net force be negative?

Yes, net force can be negative. This indicates that the overall force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive direction, as defined by the coordinate system being used.

5. How can finding net force be applied in real life situations?

Finding net force is essential in understanding the motion of objects in various scenarios, such as in sports, engineering, and transportation. It is also used in calculating the stability of structures and predicting the behavior of natural phenomena like weather patterns.