Finding Online PEMDAS Calculators

• B
  • Thread starter pairofstrings
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculators
In summary, the conversation was about rearranging the terms of an equation according to PEMDAS and the confusion surrounding this concept. The experts clarified that PEMDAS is simply a guideline for reading and evaluating equations, and does not dictate the order of terms in an equation. They also suggested alternative methods for achieving a specific term order, such as using the lexicographic order or manually rearranging the terms.
pairofstrings
TL;DR Summary
Online app for arranging terms with P.E.M.D.A.S.
Hello. I have an equation that looks like following:

1621786908244.png

I want to re-write the terms of the above equation adhering to PEMDAS.
I have seen the web but I could find none.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why? What do you mean when you say you want to "rewrite the terms" of this equation?
For what purpose?
What does PEMDAS have to do with what you're trying to do?

In two other threads you asked about this same equation:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ation-for-the-same-curve.1001592/post-6478050
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/y-for-heart-curve.996738/post-6436282

In those posts you seemed to want to graph this equation, but were stumped by a much simpler equation of x + y + xy = 1.

Back in January, you wrote this:
pairofstrings said:
The graph of the equation 1 = x + y is easy to draw. It says 'x' is 1 and 'y' is 1.
Therefore, I can plot the point at x = 1 and y = 1.
If you meant the point with coordinates (1, 1) -- i.e., x = 1 and y = 1, then no, that point is not on the line x + y = 1. If x = 1, then y = 0, and if y = 1, then x = 0, so the points (1, 0) and (0, 1) are on this graph, but it was not at all clear that this might have been what you meant.

If your goal is to graph the heart equation an online PEMDAS calculator is not what you need, but the graphing capabilities of wolframalpha (wolframalpha.com) could do it.

pairofstrings said:
Summary:: Online app for arranging terms with P.E.M.D.A.S.

I have an equation that looks like following:

1621786908244-png.png

I want to re-write the terms of the above equation adhering to PEMDAS.
Can you show us what you want the output to look like? That would help us to understand what you are looking for. Do you mean putting parenthesis around each term and moving the non-exponential terms to the end of the multiplication in each term?

Mark44 said:
What do you mean when you say you want to "rewrite the terms" of this equation?
I am sorry. It is my mistake. I wanted to say "rearrange the terms".

Mark44 said:
..but it was not at all clear that this might have been what you meant.
Sorry about that.

berkeman said:
Can you show us what you want the output to look like?
I want the equation that has all its terms conforming to PEMDAS.

1621797086180.png

In the above equation I think that after x6 I should consider y6 then 3x4y2 then 3x2y4 then 3y4 then x2y3 then 3x4 then 6x2y2 then 3y4 then 3y2.
I am considering this order of terms to manipulate x6 with all the other terms until I get a curve.

Last edited:
pairofstrings said:
It is my mistake. I wanted to say "rearrange the terms".

pairofstrings said:
I want the equation that has all its terms conforming to PEMDAS.

1621797086180-png.png

In the above equation I think that after x6 I should consider y6 then 3x4y2 then 3x2y4 then 3y4 then x2y3 then 3x4 then 6x2y2 then 3y4 then 3y2.
I am considering this order of terms to manipulate x6 with all the other terms until I get a curve.
Changing the order of the terms makes absolutely no sense, and is completely unrelated to what PEMDAS is about. Looking at two of the terms, ##x^2 + 3x^4y^2##, what PEMDAS says are these steps, in this order:
  1. the exponent operations should be performed
  2. the multiplications should then be performed; i.e. ##3## times ##x^4## times ##y^2##
  3. the addition should be performed
What PEMDAS conveys is the order in which different types of operations should be performed. For an expression such as a + b + c, the two additions are at the same level, so it makes no difference whether you add a + b first, or b + c first.

I think you have an incorrect idea about what PEMDAS is about.

pairofstrings said:

This is called a lexicographic order, in that case, exponents before variable names. It is usually the other way around. The Buchberger algorithm uses lexicographic ordering on multinomials to compute Gröbner bases, and I think Mathematica has an implementation. So this is a way to achieve what you are looking for.

However, ...
... it is a cannon shooting sparrows. It is probably far easier to implement a lexicographic ordering by yourself in a language of your choice. It is simple string handling, an easy exercise in a programmer course.

PEMDAS is just telling you how to read expressions like the one you posted. It doesn't have any specific preference for the order of terms that are added/subtracted.
If you want to have some specific order then you need to define what order you want. Then just rearrange things based on your preference.

If there is PEMDAS then all of the following equations are equivalent to each other?

##x^2+x-y=1##
##x+x^2-y=1##
##-y+x^2+x=1##

pairofstrings said:
If there is PEMDAS then all of the following equations are equivalent to each other?

##x^2+x-y=1##
##x+x^2-y=1##
##-y+x^2+x=1##.
Yes. The exponentiated term, ##x^2## has higher precedence than all of the other terms.

You could think of the first equation as being the same as ##(x^2) + x + (-y) = 1##. Written this way, all of the terms on the left side could be shown in any order due to the commutative property of addition.

Taken one step further, you could write the equation as ##(x^2) + x + (-y) + (-1) = 0##. Then all four terms on the left side could be written in any order, again due to commutativity of addition. Subtraction isn't commutative, which is why I've enclosed the 3rd and 4th terms with parentheses.

Last edited:

1. What is a PEMDAS calculator and why is it useful?

A PEMDAS calculator is an online tool that helps solve mathematical expressions using the order of operations, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, and Subtraction. This is useful because it ensures that mathematical expressions are solved correctly and consistently, following a specific set of rules.

2. How do I find a reliable online PEMDAS calculator?

To find a reliable online PEMDAS calculator, it is important to look for ones that have been created or endorsed by reputable sources such as educational institutions or professional mathematicians. It is also helpful to read reviews and ratings from other users to ensure the calculator is accurate and user-friendly.

3. Can I use a PEMDAS calculator for complex equations?

Yes, most online PEMDAS calculators are equipped to handle complex equations with multiple operations and parentheses. However, it is important to double-check the answer to ensure accuracy, as some calculators may have limitations or errors.

4. Are there any free online PEMDAS calculators available?

Yes, there are many free online PEMDAS calculators available. These can be found through a simple internet search or on educational websites. However, it is important to make sure the calculator is reliable and accurate before using it for important calculations.

5. Can I use a PEMDAS calculator for all types of math problems?

While PEMDAS calculators are useful for solving most mathematical expressions, they may not be suitable for all types of math problems. For example, they may not be able to handle complex algebraic equations or calculus problems. It is important to read the limitations of the calculator before using it for a specific type of math problem.