Finding out how the different spacecrafts were made

• Thread starter DanielGutierrez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacecraft
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's search for information on the evolution of materials used in spacecrafts, with a focus on surface materials. The student has found some information on materials used in Sputnik I and II (Aluminum 2024 T6) and Apollo 11 (easily found on NASA's website), but is having trouble finding information on Vostok I and VI (the first manned spacecrafts). The student asks for suggestions on where to find more information and is advised to look into US spacecrafts and the unconventional choice of polished steel for orbital re-entry in the case of Starship. It is also suggested to focus on the history of materials chosen for US spacecrafts to create a timeline of material choices and
DanielGutierrez
Homework Statement: Actually I'm in my last year of Material Engineer, and I have been asked to choose a topic for studying the evolution of the materials involved. With some emphasis on surface.
Homework Equations: ---

Hey everyone, I'm in my last year of Material Engineer, and I have been asked to choose a topic for studying the evolution of the materials involved. With some emphasis on surface. So I picked Spacecrafts, I tried to choose the "most important" ones in the history, and I have some problems to find which materials are involved and also the manufacture, maybe because of the space race...
So here is what I got,
For the first Sputnik I and II -> I found that was Aluminum 2024 T6 (http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA2024T6)
Also, I found some sprays of EVA in the surface, and polish, for having a perfect mirror surface.
Apolo 11-> Easy on NASA web (https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/ spacecraft /display.action?id=1969-059A)
But with Vostok I and VI -> First man and woman on space. I can't find anything.

So I would be very grateful if you can tell me where I can search for good information, maybe the problem is that the information isn't in English and I need to search on Russian webs...
Thank you all!

Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
US spacecraft will certainly be easier. There are more US spacecraft you can study.
Starship should be an interesting case. Polished steel for orbital re-entry is an unconventional choice.

I was thinking along the same lines as @mfb . Maybe just do a history of specifications within the United States programs. You should have a nice timeline of materials choices (and why they were chosen at the time).

1. How were the materials for spacecrafts chosen?

The materials for spacecrafts are carefully chosen based on their properties and ability to withstand the harsh conditions of space. They must be lightweight, strong, and resistant to extreme temperatures and radiation.

2. What manufacturing processes are used to create spacecrafts?

Spacecrafts are typically manufactured using advanced techniques such as 3D printing, precision machining, and composite materials. These processes allow for precise and durable construction of complex components.

3. How are spacecrafts tested before launch?

Before launch, spacecrafts undergo rigorous testing to ensure they are ready for the challenges of space. This includes environmental testing, such as thermal and vibration tests, as well as functional testing to ensure all systems are working properly.

4. What safety measures are taken during the construction of spacecrafts?

The construction of spacecrafts follows strict safety protocols to prevent accidents and ensure the safety of the crew. This includes using cleanrooms to prevent contamination, following strict quality control measures, and conducting thorough risk assessments.

5. How are spacecrafts assembled and integrated?

Spacecrafts are typically assembled in specialized facilities where different components are integrated and tested together. This process requires precise coordination and careful handling to ensure all systems work together seamlessly.