Finding output of voltage for certain input voltage diodes

In summary, the conversation is about finding the output of a circuit with a diode using a graphical method. The input is Vi=15sinwt and the exercise does not involve any equations. The solution provided by the speaker includes a circuit diagram and a graph representing the output. The speaker asks for confirmation on the correctness of the solution and for guidance on finding the output numerically in similar exercises. The solution shows that for Vi<= -10, the diode is ON and the output is Vo=10, while for 10<=Vi, the diode is OFF and Vi=Vo. The diode conducts when the input is less than or equal to -10.
Questions999

Homework Statement

We have the circuit in the figure.I have to find the output graphically if the input is Vi=15sinwt.

Homework Equations

This type of exercise doesn't have any equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Heres the circuit
http://i.imgur.com/ivixWzH.jpg
For Vi<= -10 the diode is ON and Vo=10
10<=Vi we have that the diode is OFF and Vi=Vo

My solution is this one : http://i.imgur.com/ZMUB66j.jpg
Is it correct ? How can I find the output numerically in exercises like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which part of the sketch represents your solution? Can you describe the behavior (in words) of the diode and cell? When will it conduct?

Related to Finding output of voltage for certain input voltage diodes

1. How do diodes work?

Diodes are electronic components that allow current to flow in only one direction. They have a p-n junction, which is a boundary between two types of semiconductor material. When a voltage is applied across the diode in the forward direction, the p-n junction allows current to flow through. However, when the voltage is applied in the reverse direction, the p-n junction blocks the current from flowing.

2. What is the relationship between input voltage and output voltage in diodes?

The relationship between input voltage and output voltage in diodes is non-linear. This means that the output voltage does not increase or decrease proportionally with the input voltage. Instead, the output voltage remains constant until the input voltage reaches a certain threshold, called the forward voltage, at which point the output voltage starts to increase. This relationship is described by the diode's current-voltage characteristic curve.

3. How do I calculate the output voltage for a certain input voltage in a diode?

To calculate the output voltage for a certain input voltage in a diode, you will need to know the forward voltage and the current-voltage characteristic curve of the diode. The output voltage can be found by following the curve until it intersects with the input voltage, and then reading the corresponding output voltage value from the curve.

4. What factors can affect the output voltage in a diode?

The output voltage in a diode can be affected by several factors, including the input voltage, the forward voltage, and the current flowing through the diode. Other factors that can influence the output voltage include temperature, the type and material of the diode, and any external resistors or components connected in the circuit.

5. How can I test the output voltage of a diode?

To test the output voltage of a diode, you can use a multimeter set to the voltage measurement mode. Connect the positive lead of the multimeter to the positive terminal of the diode and the negative lead to the negative terminal of the diode. Then, apply a known input voltage to the diode and read the output voltage on the multimeter. Make sure to follow proper safety precautions when working with electricity.