Finding ##\partial^\mu\phi## for a squeezed state in QFT

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with calculating ##\partial^\mu\phi## for a massless and minimally coupled squeezed state. They have defined their state using ladder operators and mode functions, and are having trouble due to the sum over k and the ladder operators. Another person suggests applying the linear operator term by term and using a different summation index in the exponent. They also note that this describes a field operator, not a state.
Sciencemaster
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to apply an operator to a massless and minimally coupled squeezed state, I'm having trouble calculating ##\partial^\mu\phi## but due to a sum over k and the ladder operators.
I'm trying to apply an operator to a massless and minimally coupled squeezed state. I have defined my state as $$\phi=\sum_k\left(a_kf_k+a^\dagger_kf^*_k\right)$$, where the ak operators are ladder operators and fk is the mode function $$f_k=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2L^3\omega}}e^{ik_\mu x^\mu}$$ (assuming periodic boundary condition in a three-dimensional box of side L where k is the wave number).
However, I'm having trouble calculating ##\partial^\mu\phi## due to the sum over k and the ladder operators. I would very much appreciate it if someone could help me through the math of this step!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, ##\partial_\mu## is a linear operator, so you can apply it term by term in the sum. As for the ladder operators, if they're independent of ##x## you can just treat them like constants during the partial differentiation.

Btw, you'll need to use a different dummy summation index in the exponent so as not to conflict with the free index ##\mu## on ##\partial_\mu##. E.g., change ##k_\mu x^\mu## to ##k_\alpha x^\alpha##.

Likes topsquark and vanhees71
One should also note that this doesn't describe a state but a field operator in terms of free-field energy eigenmodes or a neutral scalar field. The ##\hat{a}_k## are annihilation and ##\hat{a}_k^{\dagger}## in Fock space.

Likes topsquark

1. What is a squeezed state in quantum field theory (QFT)?

A squeezed state in QFT is a quantum state that has reduced fluctuations in one observable, such as the number of particles, at the expense of increased fluctuations in another observable, such as the phase. This state is often used in quantum optics and quantum information processing.

2. Why is finding ##\partial^\mu\phi## for a squeezed state important?

Finding ##\partial^\mu\phi## for a squeezed state is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the squeezed state and its interactions with other particles. This is crucial for studying the dynamics of quantum systems and for making predictions about their behavior.

3. How is ##\partial^\mu\phi## calculated for a squeezed state in QFT?

The calculation of ##\partial^\mu\phi## for a squeezed state in QFT involves using the equations of motion for the field ##\phi## and the creation and annihilation operators for the squeezed state. It also involves taking into account the squeezing parameter, which determines the degree of squeezing in the state.

4. What are the applications of studying ##\partial^\mu\phi## for a squeezed state?

Studying ##\partial^\mu\phi## for a squeezed state has many applications in various fields, such as quantum optics, quantum information processing, and quantum computing. It can also provide insights into the behavior of quantum systems and help in the development of new technologies.

5. Are there any experimental methods for creating and studying squeezed states in QFT?

Yes, there are several experimental methods for creating and studying squeezed states in QFT. These include using nonlinear optics, quantum state engineering techniques, and quantum measurements. These methods have been successfully used in various experiments to demonstrate the properties and applications of squeezed states in quantum systems.