What is the meaning of "excess" Goldstone bosons?

• A
  • Thread starter jack476
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bosons
In summary, the conversation discusses Goldstone's theorem and its application in classical field theory and quantum physics. It is stated that in most situations, there is one Goldstone boson for each broken generator, but there can be more in certain cases. Examples of Lagrangians and ground states are provided to illustrate this concept. The conversation also mentions the Nambu-Goldstone theorem and its application in non-relativistic systems, where the number of Nambu-Goldstone bosons may not be equal to the number of broken generators. The Nielsen and Chadha theorem is also mentioned, stating that the number of type-I and type-II NG bosons is greater than or equal to the number of broken symmetry generators.
jack476
TL;DR Summary
What does it mean when a Lagrangian has more Goldstone bosons than there are spontaneously broken generators?
Although strictly speaking this is motivated by a classical field theory problem, I felt that the quantum physics subforum would be more appropriate because it pertains to topics which to my understanding are almost entirely dealt with in the context of QFT.

The most commonly stated form of Goldstone's theorem is that there is one massless scalar boson corresponding to each spontaneously broken generator of the global symmetry group. In most situations there is exactly one Goldstone boson for each broken generator, but in the book I'm working through, The Classical Theory of Gauge Fields, the authors Rubakov and Wilson point out that the theory actually says that there are at least as many Goldstone bosons as there are broken generators. It is possible for there to be more Goldstone bosons than there are broken generators.

As an example, consider the following Lagrangian for a pair of complex scalar fields ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2##:
$$\mathcal{L} = \partial_{\mu}\phi_1^*\partial_{\mu}\phi_1 + \partial_{\mu}\phi_2^*\partial_{\mu}\phi_2 - \lambda\big(\phi_1^*\phi_1-\phi_2^*\phi_2 - v^2\big)^2$$ where ##v## is a real constant. The global symmetry group is the group of matrices with the form $$\omega = \begin{bmatrix} e^{i\alpha} & 0 \\0 & e^{i\beta} \end{bmatrix}$$
We can write the pair of complex scalars as the two elements of a column ##\phi## in the fundamental representation space of ##U(2)##, and then we can write the kinetic energy and the term ##\phi_1^*\phi_1-\phi_2^*\phi_2## as:
$$ \partial_{\mu}\phi_1^*\partial_{\mu}\phi_1 + \partial_{\mu}\phi_2^*\partial_{\mu}\phi_2 = \begin{bmatrix} \partial_{\mu}\phi_1^* & \partial_{\mu}\phi_2^* \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}\partial_{\mu}\phi_1 \\ \partial_{\mu}\phi_2\end{bmatrix} \quad \text{,} \quad \phi_1^*\phi_1-\phi_2^*\phi_2 = \begin{bmatrix} \phi_1^* & \phi_2^* \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}\phi_1 \\\phi_2\end{bmatrix}$$
Let ##\omega = \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix} \in U(2)##, then the kinetic energy is clearly invariant under ##\phi \to \omega \phi## since under this transformation ##\phi^\dagger \to \phi^{\dagger} \omega^{\dagger}## and ##\omega \in U(2) \implies \omega^{\dagger} = \omega^{-1}.## However, ##\phi_1^*\phi_1-\phi_2^*\phi_2## is not invariant under ##\phi \to \omega \phi## unless ##\omega## also has the property that ##\omega^{\dagger} J \omega = J## where ##J = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{bmatrix}##, meaning that the ##U(2)## symmetry is explicitly broken down to ##U(2) \cap SU(1,1)##. The conditions ##\omega^{\dagger}\omega = I## and ##\omega^{\dagger}J\omega = J## set up a system of six equations in the four variables ##a, b, c, d##, though we only need the first four:
$$\begin{align*}
a^*a+c^*c &= 1 \\
a^*b+c^*d &= 0 \\
b^*b+d^*d &= 1 \\
a^*a-c^*c &= 1
\end{align*}$$
Add the first equation to the fourth to get ##2a^*a = 2## which means that ##a = e^{i\alpha}##, then the first equation becomes ##1+c^*c =1## so ##c = 0##, which in turn means that the second equation becomes ##a^*b = 0## meaning that ##b=0##, and then finally the third equation becomes ##d^*d = 1## so ##d=e^{i\beta}##. Therefore the global symmetry group of ##\mathcal{L}## is the subgroup of ##U(2)## which contains matrices of the form ##\omega = \begin{bmatrix} e^{i\alpha} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{i\beta} \end{bmatrix}##.
Note that the generators of small transformations are ##T^1 = \begin{bmatrix} i & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \text{ and } T^2 = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & i \end{bmatrix}##.

The equations for the ground state are:
$$\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi_1} = 4{\lambda}\phi_1^*\big( \phi_1^*\phi_1-\phi_2^*\phi_2 - v^2 \big) &= 0 \\
\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi_2} = -4{\lambda}\phi_2^*\big( \phi_1^*\phi_1-\phi_2^*\phi_2 - v^2 \big) &= 0
\end{align*}$$
Other than the trivial vacuum ##\phi_1^{(v)}= \phi_2^{(v)} = 0##, the ground states must satisfy ##\phi_1^*\phi_1-\phi_2^*\phi_2 - v^2## so they take the form ##\phi^{(v)} = \begin{bmatrix}ae^{i\alpha_0} \\ be^{i\beta_0}\end{bmatrix}## where ##a_1, a_2 \in \mathbb{R}## and ##a^2-b^2 = v^2##. The phase angles ##\alpha_0## and ##\beta_0## are arbitrary and we will assume that they are both zero. First consider small excitations about the ground state with ##\phi_1^{(v)} = a## and ##\phi_2^{(v)} = b##, which spontaneously breaks the entire symmetry group. Let ##\chi_1, \chi_2, \theta_1, \theta_2## be small real scalar fields, then these vacuum excitations take the form ##\phi_1 = a+\chi_1+i\theta_1## and ##\phi_2 = b+\chi_2+i\theta_2##. Substitute these into ##\mathcal{L}## and expand to quadratic order to get:
$$\mathcal{L}^{(2)} = \big(\partial_{\mu}\chi_1\big)^2 + \big(\partial_{\mu}\chi_2\big)^2 + \big(\partial_{\mu}\theta_1\big)^2 + \big(\partial_{\mu}\theta_2\big)^2- 4\lambda\big(a^2\chi_1^2+b^2\chi_2^2\big)$$

We get two massive scalars and two massless scalars, so that we have one massless scalar for each broken generator. Now consider the ground state ##\phi_1^{(v)} = v, \phi_2^{(v)} = 0##, so that small vacuum excitations have the form ##\phi_1 = v+\chi_1+i\theta_1## and ##\phi_2 = \chi_2+i\theta_2##. Now the symmetry is only partially spontaneously broken, with the unbroken subgroup being the group of matrices with the form ##\omega = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & e^{i\beta} \end{bmatrix}##. The quadratic Lagrangian is:
$$\mathcal{L}^{(2)} = \big(\partial_{\mu}\chi_1\big)^2 + \big(\partial_{\mu}\chi_2\big)^2 + \big(\partial_{\mu}\theta_1\big)^2 + \big(\partial_{\mu}\theta_2\big)^2- 4\lambda v^2\chi_1^2$$

Only one of the two generators is broken by the ground state but now there are three massless scalar bosons. This doesn't violate Goldstone's theorem, but by my understanding it is still considered unusual. How should I interpret the fact that there are more Goldstone bosons than there are broken generators? The only two things that really stand out to me are 1.) that the condition ##a^2-b^2 = v^2## means that there are two disconnected families of vacuum states and 2.) that although ##\big(\phi_1^{(v)}, \phi_2^{(v)}\big) = (a, 0)## is a valid ground state, ##\big(\phi_1^{(v)}, \phi_2^{(v)}\big) = (0, b)## is not because then ##-b^2 = v^2## which is not possible for ##b, v \in \mathbb{R}##.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
At the first glance the reason is that the group is not semisimple but it's the direct product of two Abelian groups. So there's indeed no contradiction to Goldstone's theorem. For a very thorough treatment, see Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields, Vol. 2.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1607.01252
The Nambu-Goldstone theorem in non-relativistic systems
Ivan Arraut
In non-relativistic systems, when there is spontaneous symmetry breaking, the number of Nambu-Goldstone bosons (nNG) are not necessarily equal to the number of broken generators (nBG). Here we use the method of operators for analyzing the necessary conditions in order to obtain the correct dispersion relation for the Nambu-Goldstone bosons.

"The Nambu-Goldstone theorem suggests that when the symmetry is spontaneously broken, the number of Nambu-Goldstone bosons is equivalent to the number of broken generators [1–4]. This is the case in relativistic systems. In non-relativistic systems, this equality is not necessarily satisfied."

https://arxiv.org/abs/1001.5212
Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking and Nambu-Goldstone Bosons in Quantum Many-Body Systems
Tomas Brauner
"Theorem 3 (Nielsen and Chadha). Assume that translational invariance is not completely broken spontaneously and that there are no long-range interactions. Then the energy of a NG boson is analytic in momentum. Denoting NG modes whose energy is proportional to an odd power of momentum as type-I, and those whose energy is proportional to an even power of momentum as type-II, the number of type-I NG bosons plus twice the number of type-II NG bosons is greater than or equal to the number of broken symmetry generators."

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Excellent, thanks for the suggestions, I'll look at Weinberg and those two papers right now.

1. What are Goldstone bosons?

Goldstone bosons are particles that arise in certain quantum field theories, particularly those involving spontaneous symmetry breaking. They are massless and have zero spin, making them fundamentally different from other particles such as fermions and gauge bosons.

2. What is spontaneous symmetry breaking?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking is a phenomenon in physics where a system that is symmetric at the microscopic level, such as in its equations of motion, exhibits a lower symmetry at the macroscopic level. This leads to the appearance of Goldstone bosons as a consequence of the broken symmetry.

3. How do Goldstone bosons relate to excess?

In certain theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics, the presence of Goldstone bosons is an indication of excess symmetry. This means that the theory has more symmetries than are actually observed in nature, and the existence of Goldstone bosons is a manifestation of this excess symmetry.

4. Why are Goldstone bosons important?

Goldstone bosons play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of physical systems at low energies. They are also important in the study of phase transitions, where they can provide insight into the symmetry breaking patterns that occur. Additionally, their properties have implications for theories of particle physics and cosmology.

5. Can Goldstone bosons be observed in experiments?

Yes, Goldstone bosons have been observed in experiments, particularly in the study of condensed matter systems and high-energy particle collisions. The discovery and study of these particles have provided valuable insights into the fundamental laws of nature and have helped to validate various theories in physics.