Finding period of any type of function

In summary, the period of the function f(x) = tanπx + x - [x], where [.] is the greatest integer or floor function is 2π/a. The period of the function f(x) = sin2πx + x - [x], where [.] is the greatest integer or floor function is π/a.
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

1. The period of the function f(x) = tanπx + x - [x], where [.] is the greatest integer or floor function is?

2. The period of the function f(x) = sin2πx + x - [x], where [.] is the greatest integer or floor function is?

Homework Equations

For sin (ax+ b) + c where a,b,c are constants the period is 2π/a
For tan(ax+ b) + c where a,b,c are constants the period is π/a

The Attempt at a Solution

In first problem one can do π/π and say period of it is one. But the terms x - [x] has also to be looked.
How also to say that it is periodic?
I know the definition for periodicity,
ƒ(x + T) = f(x) for any x, where T is time period.
But how to check it in this complex seeming equations?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The period of the sum of two periodic functions is the least common multiple of the two periods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raghav Gupta said:

Homework Statement

1. The period of the function f(x) = tanπx + x - [x], where [.] is the greatest integer or ceiling function is?

2. The period of the function f(x) = sin2πx + x - [x], where [.] is the greatest integer or ceiling function is?

Homework Equations

For sin (ax+ b) + c where a,b,c are constants the period is 2π/a
For tan(ax+ b) + c where a,b,c are constants the period is π/a

The Attempt at a Solution

In first problem one can do π/π and say period of it is one. But the terms x - [x] has also to be looked.
How also to say that it is periodic?
I know the definition for periodicity,
ƒ(x + T) = f(x) for any x, where T is time period.
But how to check it in this complex seeming equations?
Try graphing y = x - [x] .

SammyS said:
Try graphing y = x - [x] .
Graphing fast seems difficult without a graph paper and scale.

I know that for y= x2 it's a upward parabola
For y= x it's a straight line.

In general for any equation graphing what's the best way to graph it?

Raghav Gupta said:
Graphing fast seems difficult without a graph paper and scale.
You can do a quick sketch without needing graph paper, and a ruler isn't an absolute essential.

Mark44 said:
You can do a quick sketch without needing graph paper, and a ruler isn't an absolute essential.
Yeah, got the graph and period of it as 1.
Thanks to you all.
Got the answer finally one in both the above mentioned problems.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
The period of the sum of two periodic functions is the least common multiple of the two periods.
Not necessarily - there could be some cancellation. E.g. add sin(x/2)+sin(x/3) and sin(x/5)-sin(x/3),

haruspex said:
Not necessarily - there could be some cancellation. E.g. add sin(x/2)+sin(x/3) and sin(x/5)-sin(x/3),
But when we know that sinx/3 terms would cancel then why looking for the individuals period and then it's least multiple?
We would have sinx/2 and sinx/5 having individuals period 4 pi and 10 pi and their LCM 20 pi.

Raghav Gupta said:
But when we know that sinx/3 terms would cancel then why looking for the individuals period and then it's least multiple?
We would have sinx/2 and sinx/5 having individuals period 4 pi and 10 pi and their LCM 20 pi.
Quite so. I was merely pointing out that Hall's formula is not always true.

Here the terms were canceling. Do you know some other example where the terms are not cancelling like this and period is coming different?

Raghav Gupta said:
Here the terms were canceling. Do you know some other example where the terms are not cancelling like this and period is coming different?
They canceled because I constructed them that way. In general, given two periodic functions f and g, you might not have a representation of them as a sum of simple closed forms. E.g. they could be defined by indefinite integrals that cannot be solved. What would it mean to say that they have cancelling terms?
Perhaps one could define that if the period of f+g is less than the LCM of the individual periods then some cancellation has occurred, but I don't see that such a definition is of any interest.
What would a general rule be?

I think we should take a example to verify this.
Suppose we have sin2πx + cos2πx then their individual periods are 1 and 1.
Now let's take the prime 2 which divides these m= 0 and n=0.
Now here f+ g has period 1.
Now the p=2 divides it 0 times between |0-0| and max{0,0}

Raghav Gupta said:
I think we should take a example to verify this.
Suppose we have sin2πx + cos2πx then their individual periods are 1 and 1.
Now let's take the prime 2 which divides these m= 0 and n=0.
Now here f+ g has period 1.
Now the p=2 divides it 0 times between |0-0| and max{0,0}
I see you read the last part of my post before I deleted it. It occurred to me that the period as an integer was not defined - periods are x-intervals. All we can talk about is rational ratios between periods.
In my example in post #7, all you would know (from observation) is that the periods are in the ratio 2:5, 2x and 5x, say. So I replace my previous conjecture with : if the periods of f and g are ax, bx, where a and b are coprime integers, then the period of f+g is abx/n where n and ab are coprime.

I am having a bit difficulty in this. The proof of finding periods and a general statement making can be difficult.
What is n here in abx/n ?

Raghav Gupta said:
I am having a bit difficulty in this. The proof of finding periods and a general statement making can be difficult.
What is n here in abx/n ?
Any integer.

haruspex said:
So I replace my previous conjecture with : if the periods of f and g are ax, bx, where a and b are coprime integers, then the period of f+g is abx/n where n and ab are coprime.
What's the proof for this?
Hall's statement was intuitive a bit.

Raghav Gupta said:
What's the proof for this?
Hall's statement was intuitive a bit.
Conjecture, I wrote.

haruspex said:
Conjecture, I wrote.
Oh I didn't know the meaning of conjecture before. I had seen this word used many times in Math but never looked its definition. Now I know.
So how to apply your conjecture here in the case of sinx/2 + sinx/5?
Here the period of f is 4π and of g is 10π.
By your conjecture period of f+ g here is,
4π*10π/n. = 40π2/n. ?

You seem to have missed the part about coprimes.
haruspex said:
if the periods of f and g are ax, bx, where a and b are coprime integers, then the period of f+g is abx/n where n and ab are coprime.
You should be looking for LCM of the periods, or use x in ax, bx, as the greatest common factor of the periods. It seems like @haruspex is saying that the LCM is the upper bound, but with the potential of cancellation, there may be an n, not equal to one, which could cut the period down.
A period function with period (a) is also periodic over intervals of (2a), (3a), (ka), etc. So you know for a fact, that the function will surely be periodic over the LCM of the periods. It may, however, have a smaller essential period.

I am having a difficulty. No problem, would understand it later if required.

I have found a perfect example to counter Hall's statement, in agreement with Haruspex and ruber.
|sinx| has period of π,
|cosx| also has period π,
But |sinx| + |cosx| has period π/2.
Can anyone tell me how?

Likes LCKurtz
Note that ## |\sin x | = \left\{ \begin{array}{l l} \sin x & 0\leq x < \pi (mod 2\pi) \\ - \sin x & \pi\leq x < 2\pi (mod 2\pi) \end{array} \right. ##
## |\cos x | =|\sin (x+\pi/2) | \left\{ \begin{array}{l l} \sin (x+\pi/2) & 0\leq x+\pi/2 < \pi (mod 2\pi) \\ - \sin (x+\pi/2) & \pi\leq x+\pi/2 < 2\pi (mod 2\pi) \end{array} \right. ##
So, for example, for ##x \in (0,\pi/2), |\sin x |+ |\cos x | = \sin x + \sin (x+pi/2) ##
##x \in (\pi/2,\pi), |\sin x |+ |\cos x | = \sin x - \sin (x+pi/2) ##
but this is the same as writing
## y \in (0, \pi/2), \sin (y+\pi/2) - \sin (y+pi)##
and ## \sin (y+ \pi ) = - \sin y##
so, you have the same thing.

Likes Raghav Gupta
RUber said:
So, for example, for ##x \in (0,\pi/2), |\sin x |+ |\cos x | = \sin x + \sin (x+pi/2) ##
##x \in (\pi/2,\pi), |\sin x |+ |\cos x | = \sin x - \sin (x+pi/2) ##
but this is the same as writing
## y \in (0, \pi/2), \sin (y+\pi/2) - \sin (y+pi)##
and ## \sin (y+ \pi ) = - \sin y##
so, you have the same thing.
Not understanding that bold part.

If this function has a period of pi/2, then f(x) = f(x+pi/2).
For x in (0,pi/2) then,
f(x) = sin(x) + sin(x+pi/2), right?
f(x+pi/2) = sin(x+pi/2) - sin(x+pi), right? Note the sign change since (x+pi) > pi.
Now, since sin(x+pi) = -sin(x), you can make the substitution to get:
f(x+pi/2) = sin(x+pi/2) - (- sin(x) ), which can be rearranged to get f(x+pi/2) = sin(x) + sin(x+pi/2).
Note that f(x) = f(x+pi/2). So, the period of f is pi/2.

Likes Raghav Gupta
Got it Ruber thanks.
So when in general can we apply LCM rule?
Here it was modulus, so we had to be careful for + and - signs.
A last example ## sin^4x + cos^4x ## also has period π/2 instead of π.

I was doing some manipulations and got
## sin^4x + cos^4x = 1-2sin^2xcos^2x = 1- 1/2 (sin^22x) ##
Now period of sin 2x is π. Hence square of it would have π/2.

@haruspex and @RUber why the conjecture abx/n is not applicable in the last two examples for finding period of them?

Raghav Gupta said:
@haruspex and @RUber why the conjecture abx/n is not applicable in the last two examples for finding period of them?
How does it break the conjecture? Put a=b=1, n=2, x=pi.

Why we are choosing here n= 2? 1,1 are co-prime and putting n= 1 we then get not the desired result.
If n and ab must be co prime the value of n can be any integer in this case?

Last edited:
The conjecture that @haruspex stated earlier was that the LCM always works, i.e. n=1 will give you a period, but there may be a smaller period due to cancellations or other properties of the function.
sin x * sin x is periodic over 2pi, but it is also periodic over pi. How and when you can use n>1 is not discussed in the argument, and I imagine for more complicated functions might really require a good look under the hood to understand.
However, the bottom line is the LCM is always safe. With analysis of the function, you might be able to find an n>1 to reduce the period for certain combinations.

Last edited:
Likes Raghav Gupta
That explains it all. Thank you everybody.

period of tan pi x = 1 as the graph for x = -1/2 to 1/2 repeats.
period of x - [ x ] = 1 as the graph repeats for [n , n-1).
Hence, the period of the given function is 1.

AGain for Sin (2 pi x ) + x - [x] also the period is 1, for a similar reason.

1. How do you find the period of a function?

To find the period of a function, you need to identify the repeating pattern in the function. This is usually represented by a specific value in the function's equation, such as the coefficient of the variable, or a specific point on the graph. Once you have identified the repeating pattern, you can use the formula T = 2π/ω to calculate the period, where T is the period and ω is the frequency.

2. Can you find the period of any type of function?

Yes, the concept of period applies to all types of functions, including linear, quadratic, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions. However, the method for finding the period may vary depending on the type of function. For example, for trigonometric functions, you would use the formula T = 2π/ω, while for exponential functions, you would use the formula T = ln(2)/k, where k is the growth rate.

3. What is the difference between period and frequency?

Period and frequency are two related but distinct concepts. Period refers to the length of time it takes for a function to complete one full cycle or repeat its pattern, while frequency refers to the number of cycles or repetitions that occur in a given unit of time. In other words, period is the inverse of frequency, and they are measured in different units (e.g. seconds for period and hertz for frequency).

4. How does the period affect the graph of a function?

The period of a function determines the length of the repeating pattern in its graph. A shorter period means the function's graph will repeat more frequently, resulting in a more compressed or "squished" graph. On the other hand, a longer period will result in a more spread out or "stretched" graph. Additionally, the period can also affect the amplitude and phase shift of a function's graph.

5. Can the period of a function be negative?

No, the period of a function cannot be negative. The period is always a positive value, as it represents a length of time or distance. However, the coefficient of the variable in a function's equation can be negative, which can result in a negative frequency. This does not change the period, as the absolute value of the coefficient is used in the period formula.