Finding polynomial function with given zeros

In summary: But that complicates things, so I won't mention it again.The other factor you could introduce, is (x-0). That introduces a zero at x=0, as required. But, you then have to see what happens to the value of P(0) with the added factor. If you had a factor of (x-0) you would get P(0) = (0-0)(0+1)(0-1)(0-3) = 0 . That won't do.So, you will need to introduce a factor, which will cancel the zero at x=0 . What kind of factor will do that?If you remember the factorization you introduced, you might find a solution by trial
NneO

Homework Statement

find the polynomial function p(x) with zeros, -1, 1, 3 and P(0)=9

Homework Equations

all i have is (x^2-1) and (x-3)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
NneO said:

Homework Statement

find the polynomial function p(x) with zeros, -1, 1, 3 and P(0)=9

Homework Equations

all i have is (x^2-1) and (x-3)

The Attempt at a Solution

If a polynomial has roots a,b,c for example, then the simplest polynomial that satisfies this problem is [itex]p(x)=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)[/itex]

So the simplest polynomial that satisfies the roots -1,1,3 is [itex]p(x)=(x+1)(x-1)(x-3)[/itex] which is a cubic. But if we evaluate p(0) we get [itex]p(0)=(0+1)(0-1)(0-3)=3[/itex] but we were given that p(0)=9, so what can we do?

Does the problem really say "find the polynomial function" (emphasis mine)? The clearly is NOT a single such a polynomial. There does exist a "simplest" polynomial, or "polynomial of least degree" satisfying those conditions but give such a polynomial we could always multiply by other polynomials to get a higher order polynomial satisfying those conditions.

Hello NneO. Welcome to PF !

As you can deduce from Mentallic and HallsofIvy, there are many polynomials which can satisfy the stated requirements. Any polynomial which does satisfy those requirements, will have the factors (x-1), (x+1), and (x-3) as you indicated.

There are a few ways to get the desired value for P(0). The easiest is as Mentallic suggested.

You can also introduce an additional (real) zero which could do the trick. That might not be allowed, depending upon how the problem is interpreted. You could introduce a factor, such as (x2 + a), which has no real zeros, if a>0 .

Related to Finding polynomial function with given zeros

1. How do you find a polynomial function with given zeros?

In order to find a polynomial function with given zeros, you will need to use the factored form of the polynomial. This form is written as f(x) = a(x - r1)(x - r2)...(x - rn), where r1, r2, ..., rn are the given zeros. Then, you can expand the equation and solve for the coefficient "a" by plugging in the values of the zeros and the corresponding y-values.

2. What if there are repeated zeros in the polynomial function?

If there are repeated zeros in the polynomial function, you will need to use the multiplicity of the zero to determine how many times it should be factored into the equation. For example, if a zero has a multiplicity of 2, it should be factored twice in the equation. This will change the form of the polynomial to f(x) = a(x - r)^2.

3. Can I use long division to find the polynomial function?

Yes, you can use long division to find the polynomial function with given zeros. However, this method is more time-consuming and is typically used when the given zeros are not whole numbers. It involves dividing the polynomial by the factors (x - r) and repeating the process until the remainder is equal to 0.

4. What if I am given the graph of the polynomial function?

If you are given the graph of the polynomial function, you can use the x-intercepts (zeros) to determine the factors of the polynomial. From there, you can use the factored form to find the polynomial function. You can also use the y-intercept to determine the value of the coefficient "a."

5. Can I use synthetic division to find the polynomial function?

Yes, you can use synthetic division to find the polynomial function with given zeros. This method is more efficient than long division and is typically used when the given zeros are whole numbers. It involves setting up a table and using the given zeros to divide the polynomial. The final row of the table will give you the coefficients of the polynomial function.