Finding range and height of bullets when given velocity

In summary, the range of the .22 caliber bullet fired at a 60 degree angle is 200 yards. To calculate the backstop height needed to contain the projectile, you need to find the vertical distance of the bullet at that range. Using the equations for x(t) and y(t), you can calculate the time (T) for which x = 200 yards. Then, plug this value of T into the y expression to find y(x=200 yards). This will give you the height of the backstop needed to contain the bullet.
AngryApple

Homework Statement

You are designing a firing range. The range will be 200 yards in length. You must build a backstop that is of sufficient height to contain the projectiles. There are .22 caliber long rifle ammo and .308 caliber center fire ammo used on the range. A shooter discharges a round at a 60 degree angle to the horizontal, but you don't know which of the ammo he used. Calculate how tall the backstop would be to keep the fired round from escaping.

The paperwork says I need to find:
  • The range for each type of ammo fired at the angle,
    calculations for the height of each bullet at the time it reaches the end of the range

Homework Equations

Initial velocity of .22 caliber = 330 m/s
Initial velocity of .308 caliber = 860 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to start off working with the .22 caliber bullet, and finding its range.
x = t * V * cosθ
60.96 meters (200 yards) = t * 330m/s * cos(60°)
Solving for t, I get ≈.369 seconds.
Then, I substitute the T value to try and find the range of the bullet.
x = .369 seconds * 330m/s * cos(60)
I get the range of the bullet to be 60.885 meters.

Can someone point me in the right direction to find the range of the bullet? I have a good feeling my way is drastically wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
AngryApple said:

Homework Statement

You are designing a firing range. The range will be 200 yards in length. You must build a backstop that is of sufficient height to contain the projectiles. There are .22 caliber long rifle ammo and .308 caliber center fire ammo used on the range. A shooter discharges a round at a 60 degree angle to the horizontal, but you don't know which of the ammo he used. Calculate how tall the backstop would be to keep the fired round from escaping.

The paperwork says I need to find:
  • The range for each type of ammo fired at the angle,
    calculations for the height of each bullet at the time it reaches the end of the range

Homework Equations

Initial velocity of .22 caliber = 330 m/s
Initial velocity of .308 caliber = 860 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to start off working with the .22 caliber bullet, and finding its range.
x = t * V * cosθ
60.96 meters (200 yards) = t * 330m/s * cos(60°)
Solving for t, I get ≈.369 seconds.
Then, I substitute the T value to try and find the range of the bullet.
x = .369 seconds * 330m/s * cos(60)
I get the range of the bullet to be 60.885 meters.

Can someone point me in the right direction to find the range of the bullet? I have a good feeling my way is drastically wrong.

Hi AngryApple, Welcome to Physics Forums.

The range of a projectile launched at a given angle is the total horizontal distance it travels (here assuming that it is launched at "ground" level and lands at the same level). So to begin with you'll want to ignore the backstop completely and see how far the bullet will travel unimpeded.

Hint: You'll want to deal with the motion in the vertical direction first in order to see how long it takes to reach the ground.

AngryApple said:
1.Can someone point me in the right direction to find the range of the bullet? I have a good feeling my way is drastically wrong.

You already know the range of the bullet. It's 200 yards!

What you need is the vertical distance of the bullet at that range. Write the equations for x(t) and y(t). You were on the right track to compute T, the time for which x = 200 yds. Now plug that value of T into the y expression to find y(x=200 yds).

1. How do you calculate the range of a bullet when given its velocity?

To calculate the range of a bullet, you can use the formula: range = (velocity2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where velocity is the initial velocity of the bullet, θ is the angle of elevation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2). This formula assumes a level shooting surface and no air resistance.

2. Can you find the height of a bullet if you know its initial velocity?

Yes, you can find the maximum height of a bullet using the formula: height = (velocity2 * sin2(θ)) / (2 * g), where velocity is the initial velocity of the bullet, θ is the angle of elevation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes a level shooting surface and no air resistance.

3. How does air resistance affect the range and height of a bullet?

Air resistance, also known as drag force, will decrease the range and height of a bullet. This is because the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the bullet's motion, slowing it down and reducing its range and height. The exact amount of air resistance will depend on factors such as the bullet's shape and speed, as well as air density and temperature.

4. Is the range and height of a bullet affected by the angle of elevation?

Yes, the angle of elevation will affect the range and height of a bullet. Generally, a higher angle of elevation will result in a longer range and a lower angle of elevation will result in a shorter range. However, if the angle of elevation is too high, the bullet may not reach its maximum range and will instead fall back to the ground at a shorter distance.

5. Can you calculate the range and height of a bullet without knowing its initial velocity?

No, the initial velocity is a crucial factor in determining the range and height of a bullet. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate these values. Additionally, other factors such as air resistance and angle of elevation also play a significant role in the bullet's trajectory, making it necessary to know the initial velocity in order to make accurate calculations.