Finding relationship between Range and Launch height

In summary: Why must the relationship be linear to compare measured to predicted values? You could have some other functional form and still compare, couldn't you?
Sam 1998

Homework Statement

I am currently trying to find a way to determine the relationship between launch height and range for a projectile launched at less than horizontal.

Would vary launch height to and measure range.

I need a directly proportional equation or at least a linear relationship.

Homework Equations

In next part

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Sh = Vh*t
Sv = Vov*t + 1/2*a*t^2

Where the launch velocity components are:

Vv = v*sin(launch angle)
Vh = v*cos(Launch Angle)

Therefore,

Sh = v * cos(launch angle) * t so t = Sh/v*cos(launch angle)
Sv = v*sin(launch angle) * t + 1/2*a*t^2

Substituting time,
Sv = v*sin(launch angle) * (Sh/ v * cos(launch angle)) + 1/2 * a * (Sh/ v * cos(launch angle))^2

This is as far as I have got however I need to find a way to show the direct relationship between launch height and range. I am assuming now this isn't possible due to the quadratic, however can anyone think of a solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you solve for the zeros of a quadratic equation (in general)?

olivermsun said:
Can you solve for the zeros of a quadratic equation (in general)?

Yes but having it in a quadratic form won't give a linear relationship. Is there an alternative to my method that would yield a linear relationship between range and launch height?

Sam 1998 said:
Yes but having it in a quadratic form won't give a linear relationship. Is there an alternative to my method that would yield a linear relationship between range and launch height?
Why would you expect to have the relationship be linear? I'm not saying that I KNOW it to be non-linear, but I would have started out with the assumption that it would NOT be, not that it would be.

phinds said:
Why would you expect to have the relationship be linear? I'm not saying that I KNOW it to be non-linear, but I would have started out with the assumption that it would NOT be, not that it would be.

For the purpose of the school report, we must have a linear relationship in the form y = mx +c, so that the m value can be compared to measured values to prove the accuracy of the data.

Sam 1998 said:
For the purpose of the school report, we must have a linear relationship in the form y = mx +c, so that the m value can be compared to measured values to prove the accuracy of the data.
Well, maybe the relationship IS linear, I just would not have expected it to be.

Sam 1998 said:
Why must the relationship be linear to compare measured to predicted values? You could have some other functional form and still compare, couldn't you?

1. How does increasing the launch height affect the range of a projectile?

As the launch height increases, the range of a projectile also increases. This is because the initial velocity of the projectile is greater, resulting in a longer flight time and therefore a longer distance traveled.

2. Is there a correlation between the range and launch height of a projectile?

Yes, there is a direct correlation between the range and launch height of a projectile. As the launch height increases, the range also increases, following a linear relationship.

3. What other factors besides launch height can affect the range of a projectile?

Other factors that can affect the range of a projectile include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the mass of the projectile.

4. Can the range of a projectile be calculated using a formula?

Yes, the range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v^2 * sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How can the relationship between range and launch height be applied in real-life situations?

The relationship between range and launch height can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in sports like baseball or javelin throwing, in military operations, and in understanding the trajectory of objects in space.