Finding rank and nullity of a linear map.

In summary: At this point, I suggest you look up the definition of the kernel of a linear transformation in your text.
sg001

Homework Statement

let a be the vector [2,3,1] in R3 and let T:R3-->R3 be the map given by T(x) =(ax)a

State with reasons, the rank and nullity of T

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im having trouble understanding this... I know how to do this with a matrix ie row reduce and no. of leading cols = rank ,, and then no. of non leading cols = nullity.

But I am stuck on how to go about it with this eqn.?

And that the rank = dim(image)

but how would I finad that...

or alternatively the dim(kernal)?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sg001 said:

Homework Statement

let a be the vector [2,3,1] in R3 and let T:R3-->R3 be the map given by T(x) =(ax)a

State with reasons, the rank and nullity of T

Isn't the image 1 dimensional, being multiples of a?

LCKurtz said:
Isn't the image 1 dimensional, being multiples of a?

but does the image include zero values?

sg001 said:

Do you mean the zero vector? If ##x = \theta##, the zero vector, what is ##T(\theta)## by your formula?

LCKurtz said:
Do you mean the zero vector? If ##x = \theta##, the zero vector, what is ##T(\theta)## by your formula?

still the zero vector

sg001 said:

LCKurtz said:

sg001 said:
still the zero vector

Does that answer your question?

LCKurtz said:
Does that answer your question?

yes, so the image cointains the zero value... but I thought the image was the set of all function values except 0, I thought that was the kernal

or is it that the kernal is a proper subset of the image?

sg001 said:
yes, so the image cointains the zero value... but I thought the image was the set of all function values except 0, I thought that was the kernal

or is it that the kernal is a proper subset of the image?

At this point, I suggest you look up the definition of the kernel of a linear transformation in your text.

Related to Finding rank and nullity of a linear map.

1. What is the definition of rank and nullity of a linear map?

Rank and nullity of a linear map refer to the dimensions of the image and kernel, respectively. The rank is the number of linearly independent columns in the matrix representation of the linear map, while the nullity is the number of linearly independent solutions to the equation Ax = 0, where A is the matrix representation of the linear map.

2. How do you calculate the rank and nullity of a linear map?

The rank can be calculated by finding the number of pivot columns in the matrix representation of the linear map. The nullity can be calculated by subtracting the rank from the total number of columns in the matrix representation.

3. What is the significance of the rank and nullity of a linear map?

The rank and nullity provide important information about the properties of a linear map. The rank represents the maximum possible number of linearly independent outputs of the linear map, while the nullity represents the maximum possible number of linearly independent inputs that result in an output of 0.

4. Can the rank and nullity of a linear map be equal?

Yes, it is possible for the rank and nullity of a linear map to be equal. This occurs when the matrix representation of the linear map has an equal number of pivot and non-pivot columns, meaning that there are no free variables in the solution to the equation Ax = 0.

5. How are the rank and nullity of a linear map related to its invertibility?

A linear map is invertible if and only if its rank is equal to the number of its columns, meaning that the nullity is 0. In other words, a linear map is invertible if and only if it has a unique solution to the equation Ax = 0.