Finding real part of an expression.

In summary, the expression is equal to w∈Reals && a == -((54 + 27*w^2 + w^4)/(324 + 369*w^2 + 46*w^4 + w^6)) && b == -((w*(-27 + w^2))/(324 + 369*w^2 + 46*w^4 + w^6)) and can be simplified using ComplexExpand in Mathematica. However, it is important to carefully check the result before relying on it.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Hi, I have the next expression:

[tex] \frac{iw+3}{(iw-3)(iw+6)(iw+1)}[/tex]

Now I want to find the real part of this expression via mathematica or maple, and for the love of god it doesn't work, what have I done wrong here?!

the codes and their errors are in the attachments.
http://oi50.tinypic.com/25zs684.jpg
http://oi50.tinypic.com/24wfqt3.jpg

Peace out!

N.B
w is real parameter.

Physics news on Phys.org
In[1]:= FullSimplify[Reduce[a+I b==(I w+3)/((I w-3)(I w+6)(I w+1))&& a∈Reals&& b∈Reals&& w∈Reals,{a,b},Backsubstitution->True]]

Out[1]= w∈Reals &&
a == -((54 + 27*w^2 + w^4)/(324 + 369*w^2 + 46*w^4 + w^6)) &&
b == -((w*(-27 + w^2))/(324 + 369*w^2 + 46*w^4 + w^6))

Check this result very carefully before you depend on it

Last edited:
Thanks. Who knew that such a simple task should have a long line of code?!

What about "ComplexExpand"? ((Mathematica))

ComplexExpand[(I w + 3)/((I w - 3) (I w + 6) (I w + 1))]

[tex]
-\frac{27 w^2}{\left(w^2+1\right) \left(w^2+9\right) \left(w^2+36\right)}-\frac{54}{\left(w^2+1\right) \left(w^2+9\right) \left(w^2+36\right)}-\frac{w^4}{\left(w^2+1\right) \left(w^2+9\right) \left(w^2+36\right)}\\+i \left(\frac{27 w}{\left(w^2+1\right) \left(w^2+9\right) \left(w^2+36\right)}-\frac{w^3}{\left(w^2+1\right) \left(w^2+9\right) \left(w^2+36\right)}\right)
[/tex]

Last edited:

I understand your frustration with trying to find the real part of this expression using Mathematica or Maple. However, it seems that there may be some errors in the codes that you have provided. For example, in the first attachment, it appears that you have used the variable "x" instead of "w" in the expression. Also, in the second attachment, you have not defined the variable "w" before using it in the expression.

One possible solution could be to use the "Re" function in Mathematica or Maple, which calculates the real part of a complex number or expression. For example, in Mathematica, you could write:

Re[(I*w+3)/((I*w-3)*(I*w+6)*(I*w+1))]

This should give you the real part of the expression. However, please make sure to define the variable "w" before using it in the expression.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is the real part of an expression?

The real part of an expression is the part of the expression that does not contain any imaginary numbers. It is the part of the expression that represents the actual numerical value.

2. How do you find the real part of an expression?

To find the real part of an expression, you can use the formula Re(z) = (z + z*)/2, where z is the given complex number and z* is its complex conjugate.

3. Can the real part of an expression be a complex number?

No, the real part of an expression must be a real number and cannot be a complex number. Any imaginary components in the expression must be eliminated to find the real part.

4. Why is it important to find the real part of an expression?

Finding the real part of an expression can help simplify complex calculations and provide a better understanding of the numerical value represented by the expression. It is also an important step in solving complex equations and problems involving complex numbers.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the real part of an expression?

Yes, you can also find the real part of an expression by separating it into its real and imaginary components and then only considering the real component. Additionally, if the expression is written in the form a + bi, then the real part is simply the value of a.