Finding Recursion Relations for Coefficients in Power Series Solutions for ODEs

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a recursion relation for the coefficients of a series for a given ODE. The attempt at a solution involves using substitutions and combining terms to arrive at two equations. However, it is not clear how to relate these equations to solve the recursion. The conversation also explores the possibility of a closed form solution, but it is unlikely due to the number of free parameters. The conversation concludes with a solution for y(x) in terms of the coefficients and a discussion about the potential for a closed form solution.
Rct33

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the recursion relation for the coefficients of the series around x=0 for the ODE: [itex]y'''+x^2y'+xy=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Therefore letting:

[itex]y=\sum_{m=0}^\infty y_mx^m[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y'=\sum_{m=1}^\infty my_mx^{m-1}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y''=\sum_{m=2}^\infty m(m-1)y_mx^{m-2}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y'''=\sum_{m=3}^\infty m(m-1)(m-2)y_mx^{m-3}[/itex]

Subbing this back in gives:

[itex]\sum_{m=3}^\infty m(m-1)(m-2)y_mx^{m-3}+x^2\sum_{m=1}^\infty my_mx^{m-1}+x\sum_{m=0}^\infty y_mx^m=0[/itex]

Fixing [itex]y'''[/itex]:

[itex]\sum_{m=3}^\infty m(m-1)(m-2)y_mx^{m-3}=\sum_{m=2}^\infty (m+1)(m+2)(m+3)y_{m+3}x^{m}+6y_3+24xy_4[/itex]

Fixing [itex]y'[/itex]:

[itex]x^2\sum_{m=1}^\infty my_mx^{m-1}=\sum_{m=2}^\infty (m-1)y_{m-1}x^m[/itex]

Fixing [itex]y[/itex]:

[itex]x\sum_{m=0}^\infty y_mx^m=\sum_{m=2}^\infty y_{m-1}x^m+xy_0[/itex]

Therefore combining these terms gives:

[itex]\sum_{m=2}^\infty\left[(m+1)(m+2)(m+3)y_{m+3}+(m-1)y_{m-1}+y_{m-1}\right]x^m+6y_3+xy_0+24xy_4=0[/itex]

Therefore I have two equations which sum to 0, with one of them being this:

[itex]6y_3+xy_0+24xy_4=0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y_3=0[/itex] and [itex]y_4=-\frac{1}{24}y_0[/itex]

Using the other equation:

[itex](m+1)(m+2)(m+3)y_{m+3}+(m-1)y_{m-1}+y_{m-1}=0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore (m+1)(m+2)(m+3)y_{m+3}+y_{m-1}((m-1)+1)=0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y_{m+3}=-\frac{y_{m-1}m}{ (m+1)(m+2)(m+3)}[/itex]

This gives me:
[itex]y_3=0[/itex]
[itex]y_4=-\frac{1}{24}y_0[/itex]
[itex]y_5=-\frac{1}{30}y_1[/itex]
[itex]y_6=-\frac{1}{40}y_2[/itex]

The problem is I am not sure how to relate these together to solve the recursion! Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is rare that one can solve recursive equations for a "closed form" solution. Do you have reason to believe you can here?

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
It is rare that one can solve recursive equations for a "closed form" solution. Do you have reason to believe you can here?

Hm I am thinking then that there is a limited number of free parameters? So to answer your question, I have no good reason to believe a closed form solution exists. So how would I comment on the number of free parameters? Does this mean anything?

Rct33 said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the recursion relation for the coefficients of the series around x=0 for the ODE: [itex]y'''+x^2y'+xy=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Therefore letting:

[itex]y=\sum_{m=0}^\infty y_mx^m[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y'=\sum_{m=1}^\infty my_mx^{m-1}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y''=\sum_{m=2}^\infty m(m-1)y_mx^{m-2}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y'''=\sum_{m=3}^\infty m(m-1)(m-2)y_mx^{m-3}[/itex]

Subbing this back in gives:

[itex]\sum_{m=3}^\infty m(m-1)(m-2)y_mx^{m-3}+x^2\sum_{m=1}^\infty my_mx^{m-1}+x\sum_{m=0}^\infty y_mx^m=0[/itex]

Fixing [itex]y'''[/itex]:

[itex]\sum_{m=3}^\infty m(m-1)(m-2)y_mx^{m-3}=\sum_{m=2}^\infty (m+1)(m+2)(m+3)y_{m+3}x^{m}+6y_3+24xy_4[/itex]

Fixing [itex]y'[/itex]:

[itex]x^2\sum_{m=1}^\infty my_mx^{m-1}=\sum_{m=2}^\infty (m-1)y_{m-1}x^m[/itex]

Fixing [itex]y[/itex]:

[itex]x\sum_{m=0}^\infty y_mx^m=\sum_{m=2}^\infty y_{m-1}x^m+xy_0[/itex]

Therefore combining these terms gives:

[itex]\sum_{m=2}^\infty\left[(m+1)(m+2)(m+3)y_{m+3}+(m-1)y_{m-1}+y_{m-1}\right]x^m+6y_3+xy_0+24xy_4=0[/itex]

Therefore I have two equations which sum to 0, with one of them being this:

[itex]6y_3+xy_0+24xy_4=0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y_3=0[/itex] and [itex]y_4=-\frac{1}{24}y_0[/itex]

Using the other equation:

[itex](m+1)(m+2)(m+3)y_{m+3}+(m-1)y_{m-1}+y_{m-1}=0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore (m+1)(m+2)(m+3)y_{m+3}+y_{m-1}((m-1)+1)=0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y_{m+3}=-\frac{y_{m-1}m}{ (m+1)(m+2)(m+3)}[/itex]

This gives me:
[itex]y_3=0[/itex]
[itex]y_4=-\frac{1}{24}y_0[/itex]
[itex]y_5=-\frac{1}{30}y_1[/itex]
[itex]y_6=-\frac{1}{40}y_2[/itex]

The problem is I am not sure how to relate these together to solve the recursion! Any help is much appreciated.

You have
[tex]y_{m+3} = - \frac{y_{m-1} m}{(m+ 1)(m + 2)(m + 3)}[/tex]
or
[tex]y_{m+4} = - \frac{y_m (m+1)}{(m+2)(m+ 3)(m+ 4)}[/tex]

Thus you have four independent sequences [itex]y_{4n + k}[/itex] for [itex]k = 0,1,2,3[/itex]. Setting [itex]m = 4n + k[/itex] then gives
[tex]
y_{4(n+1)+k} = - \frac{y_{4n + k} (4n + k +1)}{(4n + k +2)(4n + k + 3)(4n + k + 4)}
[/tex]
Now, instead of having [itex]m[/itex] increasing by 4 at each step, we have [itex]n[/itex] increasing by 1, and to make things clearer we can set [itex]y_{4n + k} = a_n(k)[/itex], so that
[tex]
a_{n+1}(k) = - \frac{a_n(k) (4n + k +1)}{(4n + k +2)(4n + k + 3)(4n + k + 4)}
[/tex]

One of the convenient aspects of homogenous linear recurrences is that we can deal with each factor multiplying [itex]a_{n}[/itex] separately. The -1 is the easiest: we get a factor of [itex](-1)^n[/itex]. The factors which are linear in [itex]n[/itex] are more difficult, and
[tex]
b_{n+1} = (An + B)b_n
[/tex]
doesn't have a solution other than the not closed-form
[tex]
b_n = b_0\prod_{r = 0}^{n-1} (Ar + B)
[/tex]
and similarly
[tex]
b_{n+1} = \frac{b_n}{An + B}
[/tex]
doesn't have a solution other than
[tex]
b_n = b_0\prod_{r = 0}^{n-1} \frac{1}{Ar + B}
[/tex]
(and we obviously require that there not exist any integer [itex]r \geq 0[/itex] for which [itex]Ar + B = 0[/itex]).

If [itex]A = 1[/itex] (which in your problem it isn't) these products can be expressed in terms of factorials or gamma functions. If [itex]A[/itex] were an integer and there were [itex]A[/itex] factors [itex](Ar + B)(Ar + B + 1) \cdots (Ar + B + A)[/itex] (or [itex](Ar + B)^{-1}(Ar + B + 1)^{-1} \cdots (Ar + B + A)^{-1}[/itex]) then again there would be a solution in terms of factorials or gamma functions, but your problem doesn't have sufficient factors.

However, you can say that
[tex]
y(x) = \sum_{m = 0}^{\infty} y_m x^m = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^{4n} (a_n(0) + a_n(1) x + a_n(2) x^2)
[/tex]
since the initial condition [itex]y_3 = 0[/itex] requires that [itex]a_n(3) = 0[/itex] for all [itex]n[/itex].

Thank you so much, was a good read :smile:

Last edited:

Related to Finding Recursion Relations for Coefficients in Power Series Solutions for ODEs

What is a power series solution for ODE?

A power series solution for ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a method for finding an approximate solution to an ODE by representing the unknown function as a power series. This method is useful for solving ODEs that do not have a closed-form solution.

How is a power series solution for ODE calculated?

The power series solution for ODE is calculated by first substituting the power series into the ODE and then equating the coefficients of each power of the variable. These coefficients can be found by using recursive formulas or by using the method of undetermined coefficients.

What are the advantages of using a power series solution for ODE?

One advantage of using a power series solution for ODE is that it can provide an approximate solution for ODEs that do not have a closed-form solution. Additionally, this method can be used to find solutions for ODEs with variable coefficients, which cannot be solved using other methods such as separation of variables.

What are the limitations of a power series solution for ODE?

A power series solution for ODE is only an approximation, so it may not give an exact solution. Additionally, this method can only be used for ODEs with certain types of initial conditions, such as those with a nonzero initial value or initial slope. It may also be difficult to find the coefficients of the power series in more complex ODEs.

Are there any other methods for solving ODEs?

Yes, there are several other methods for solving ODEs, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and the method of undetermined coefficients. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the most appropriate method to use depends on the specific ODE and initial conditions given.