Finding relationships of inner products with operator

In summary: It should be$$ = f^{*}xg \bigg |_{-\infty}^{\infty} - gf^{*}x \bigg |_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g x \frac {df^{*}}{dx} dx$$In summary, the homework statement is confusing and the notation is screwing with the author's head.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

upload_2015-3-20_2-57-54.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I am having some trouble understanding the notation. I'm uncertain whether it should be
$$ \langle {f} | \hat {O_{2}} | g \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f^{*}g \frac {dg}{dx} dx $$
or
$$ \langle {f} | \hat {O_{2}} | g \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f^{*}x \frac {dg}{dx} dx $$

b) Once again, the notation is really screwing with my head. I know to start,
$$ [\hat {O_{1}}, \hat {O_{2}}] \psi = (\hat {O_{1}} \hat {O_{2}} - \hat {O_{2}} \hat {O_{1}}) \psi $$
$$ = \hat {O_{1}}(\hat {O_{2}} \psi) - \hat {O_{2}}(\hat {O_{1}} \psi) $$
$$ = \hat {O_{1}}(x \frac {d \psi}{dx}) - \hat {O_{2}}(x^{3} \psi) $$

From here, I am unsure how to do this. My thoughts are either
$$ = x^{3} \Big (x \frac {d \psi}{dx} \Big ) - x \frac {d(x^{3} \psi)}{dx} $$
or
$$ = x^{3} \frac {d^{3} \psi}{dx^{3}} - ? $$
Wouldn't even know what to use for the second term.

I will assume it's the first one since at least I know what to do with that one. Using product rule,
$$ = x^{4} \frac {d \psi}{dx} - x \Big [ x^{3} \frac {d \psi}{dx} + \psi \frac {d (x^{3})}{dx} \Big ] $$
$$ = x^{4} \frac {d \psi}{dx} - x^{4} \frac {d \psi}{dx} - 3x^{3} \psi $$
Therefore, the commutator is ##-3x^{3}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
$$ \langle {f} | \hat {O_{2}} | g \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f^{*} x \frac {dg}{dx} dx $$
This one is correct.

Maylis said:
$$ = x^{3} \Big (x \frac {d \psi}{dx} \Big ) - x \frac {d(x^{3} \psi)}{dx} $$
This one is correct.

Maylis said:
Using product rule,
$$ = x^{4} \frac {d \psi}{dx} - x \Big [ x^{3} \frac {d \psi}{dx} + \psi \frac {d (x^{3})}{dx} \Big ] $$
$$ = x^{4} \frac {d \psi}{dx} - x^{4} \frac {d \psi}{dx} - 3x^{3} \psi $$
Therefore, the commutator is ##-3x^{3}##
Correct!

Maybe it would help you seeing ## \hat {O_{2}}## as simply
$$
\hat {O_{2}} = s \frac{d}{dx}
$$
and when you "multiply" from the left with ##d/dx##, it means you take the derivative of the function that is to the right of the operator.

Okay then, now I am having some trouble integrating this

Starting from

$$\langle {f} | \hat {O_{2}} | g \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f^{*}x \frac {dg}{dx} dx$$
I would probably try to use integration by parts. Choosing ##u = f^{*}x##, ##dv = \frac {dg}{dx} dx##, ##du = \frac {d(f^{*}x)}{dx}##, ##v = g##
$$ uv - \int v \hspace {0.03 in} du $$
$$ = f^{*}xg - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(f^{*} + x \frac {df^{*}}{dx}) $$
$$ = f^{*}xg \bigg |_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} gf^{*}dx - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g x \frac {df^{*}}{dx} $$

Last edited:
Maylis said:
And as you can see, things went terrible wrong as there is no dx in the first integral.
You simply forgot it when calculating ##du##:
##du = \frac {d(f^{*}x)}{dx} dx##

Okay, I caught that error. So now I got

$$ = f^{*}xg \bigg |_{-\infty}^{\infty} - gf^{*}x \bigg |_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g x \frac {df^{*}}{dx} dx$$
The first two terms cancel, and I am not sure how to evaluate the third term. Also, I am not sure how to manipulate this third integral to show whether or not ##\hat {O_{2}}## is hermitian or not. would it just be
$$ - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x \frac {df^{*}}{dx}g \hspace {0.03 in} dx = - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (x \frac {df^{*}}{dx})^{*} g \hspace {0.03 in} dx $$

I honestly have no clue how to manipulate to show if it is hermitian or not...for the example of showing if the momentum operator is hermitian or not, I know they just switched the sign of the imaginary part and put a conjugate, then said it was hermitian, but I don't understand it.

I calculate ##\langle g | \hat {O_{2}} | f \rangle## up to the same point and reach
$$ - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x \frac {dg^{*}}{dx}f \hspace {0.03 in} dx $$

I suppose there is something between these two that should determine the relationship between the two and that will answer the question of whether or not the operator is hermitian. How can I show that one is the adjoint of the other?

Last edited:
The way to apply hermitian conjugation to a bracket is
$$
\left( \langle f | \hat{O} | g \rangle \right)^\dagger = \langle g | \hat{O}^\dagger | f \rangle
$$
Use that to determine if ##\hat{O}_2## is hermitian.

Maylis said:
Okay, I caught that error. So now I got

$$ = f^{*}xg \bigg |_{-\infty}^{\infty} - gf^{*}x \bigg |_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g x \frac {df^{*}}{dx} dx$$
I just noticed that that second term there is incorrect.

1. What is an inner product in the context of operators?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. In the context of operators, the inner product is typically used to find the relationship between two operators by taking the expectation value of their product.

2. Can any two operators have an inner product?

No, not all operators can have an inner product. In order for two operators to have an inner product, they must be Hermitian. This means that they must be equal to their own adjoint, or complex conjugate transpose. Only Hermitian operators can have a well-defined inner product.

3. How is the inner product related to eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

The inner product is closely related to eigenvalues and eigenvectors. In fact, the eigenvalues of an operator can be found by taking the inner product of the operator with its eigenvectors. The eigenvectors are the vectors that remain unchanged when multiplied by the operator, and the eigenvalues are the corresponding scalar values.

4. Is there a difference between inner product and dot product?

Yes, there is a difference between inner product and dot product. While both operations take two vectors and produce a scalar value, the inner product is more general and can be defined for complex vectors, while the dot product is only defined for real vectors. Additionally, the inner product can involve complex conjugation and is not commutative, while the dot product is commutative.

5. How is the inner product used in quantum mechanics?

The inner product is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate expectation values and probabilities of measurement outcomes. It is used to find the relationship between operators and their eigenvalues, and is also used to determine the time evolution of quantum states through the Schrödinger equation.