Finding resistance, electric engineering problem

In summary, the student is having doubts about how to solve a problem that asks for the resistance of a wire used to connect an engine to a 220V supply. The student is unsure of how to proceed and seeks guidance from the tutor. The tutor responds that the student should consider the wire as a resistor in parallel with another resistor, and that the arrangement can be represented as two resistors in series and with 90% of the power going to one of these.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there. I have to solve this problem, and I'm having some doubts.

It is desired to build an electric engine of 0.9[HP], which will be connected to 220[V]. This will be done by a Cu wire with a cross section of 1.2 [mm²]. Supposing an efficency of 90% compute how long should the wire be.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I wasn't sure on how to consider the circuit for this. I thought of putting the engine with a resistor in series. Then I have:

##R=\rho_Cu \frac{L}{A}##
##P=IV##
##V=IR##

I wanted some guidance for this, because I'm not totally sure on what to do. I think that the exercise can be donde in a variety of forms, I thought of using a resistance in parallel, but I don't know if that would be fine. I thought of considering one resistance corresponding to the wire that goes from the battery to the engine, and then another resistance corresponding to the wire going from the engine to the battery again, and that would complicate things too much I think, because the configuration of the series resistances would depend on how long is the wire in each part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Telemachus. I think I understand the question in general terms. But could you attach a jpeg of the question as it's presented on your assignment sheet?

Likes Telemachus
I agree with NascentOxygen. Need to see the question as originally written.

Are they asking you to calculate the length (resistance) of the wire used to connect the motor to the 220V supply OR the length (resistance) of the motor windings?

Likes Telemachus
Hi. I'm sorry, probably the problem is that my english is not that good. The original question is written in spanish. The resistance I'm asked for is the resistance of the wire used to connect the engine (and how long the wire should be, from the data provided by problem). I think I must use that the engine uses 90% of the energy dissipated, which is 0.9HP, and the rest of the energy is dissipated by the wire. But I wasn't sure on how to consider the circuit for this. I thought of consider the wire as a resistor in parallel with another resistor given by the engine. I know from the data how much energy each resistor dissipates, and I could solve the problem that way. The other way I thought was to consider the wire and the engine in series, the thing is that if I close the circuit, I can have different lenghts for the wire 'before' and 'after' the engine. So I can have many different configurations for the circuit in series, which makes things more complicated, but I think that a model in series would better adjust to a real situation.

Last edited:
It makes no difference whether the connecting cable is before the motor or after it, or part before and part after, this is still a series connection. Does your question paper have a diagram of the arrangement? If not, then I expect the arrangement can be represented as two resistors in series and with 90% of the power going to one of these.

Last edited:
Likes Telemachus
Great. No, it has no diagram. But I see that your answer is right. After thinking of it, I wasnt having in mind something obvious, which is that series resistors are just added, so, it really doesn't matter if the wire is before or after the engine. Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is resistance in electric engineering?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol R.

2. How do you calculate resistance?

Resistance can be calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the current (I), using the formula R = V/I. This is known as Ohm's Law.

3. What factors affect resistance?

The factors that affect resistance include the type of material, the length and cross-sectional area of the conductor, and the temperature of the material.

4. What is the unit of resistance?

The unit of resistance is ohms (Ω). In some cases, kilohms (kΩ) or megohms (MΩ) may also be used for larger values of resistance.

5. How does resistance impact electric circuits?

Resistance can limit the flow of current in electric circuits, leading to a decrease in voltage and power. It can also cause heat dissipation and affect the overall efficiency of the circuit.