Finding the Armature Resistance from winding/coil resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the armature resistance using the back e.m.f and armature current, but lacking enough information to work out the back e.m.f. The simplest way to do this is using the coil resistance and number of poles, with the first instinct being to use 16 coils with 0.3 ohm resistance each. However, as it is a lap wound machine, the 16 coils would be in parallel across 4 poles, resulting in 4 parallel resistances. After calculations, the armature resistance is determined to be 0.3. It is also mentioned that in a lap wound generator, the number of parallel paths is equal to the number of poles.
Retcon_1
Homework Statement
The Blades of a 20kW, 400V machine rotate at 2 revs per second at rated wind speed.

This four pole machine has a lap wound armature consisting of 16 coils each with a resistance of 0.3ohms. calculate the resistance of the armature.
Relevant Equations
V=E - Ia*Ra
I'm struggling to find the exact way to do this and think that I am overthinking the equation,

all of my lesson notes tend to explain how to find the armature resistance using the back e.m.f and the armature current, we can figure out the armature current but do not have enough information to work out the back e.m.f. so that means that the simplest way to do this is using the coil resistance and number of poles.

So the first instinct would be to do 16 coils with 0.3 ohm resistance each so 16*0.3 = 4.8 - which seems high for the armature resistance.

that being said as it is a lap wound machine the 16 coils would be in parallel across the 4 poles so 16/4 = 4 which gives the 4 parallel resistances

so 4*0.3 = 1.2

1/R = (1/1.2)*4

R=1/3.334 = 0.3

Physics news on Phys.org
In a lap wound generator number of parallel paths = number of poles.
So, your solution, seems to me, is correct.

Likes Retcon_1

1. What is armature resistance?

Armature resistance is the electrical resistance of the armature winding or coil in an electric motor or generator. It is a measure of the opposition to the flow of current through the armature, and is an important factor in determining the efficiency and performance of the motor or generator.

2. How is the armature resistance calculated?

The armature resistance can be calculated by measuring the resistance of the armature winding or coil using a multimeter. The resistance value obtained is the armature resistance. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula R = V/I, where R is the resistance, V is the voltage applied to the armature, and I is the current flowing through the armature.

3. Why is it important to find the armature resistance?

Knowing the armature resistance is important for determining the performance and efficiency of an electric motor or generator. It is also necessary for calculating the voltage drop across the armature and for designing the appropriate control circuits for the motor or generator.

4. What factors can affect the armature resistance?

The armature resistance can be affected by factors such as temperature, length and thickness of the armature winding, and the type of material used for the winding. It can also be affected by the number of turns in the winding and the type of armature construction.

5. Can the armature resistance change over time?

Yes, the armature resistance can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, temperature changes, and changes in the material properties of the armature winding. It is important to regularly check and monitor the armature resistance to ensure the proper functioning of the motor or generator.