Finding Solutions for x^3 + (1/x^3) ≥ 3

In summary, the given inequality can be rewritten as a rational expression of x^3, and using the fundamental theorem of algebra and Descartes' rule of signs, we can determine that the polynomial has two real roots and the remaining roots are complex. The critical values can be approximated using a calculator, and the final solution is (-infinity, 0.7256) U (1.378, infinity).
mathdad
Section 2.6
Question 82

Solve: x^3 + (1/x^3) ≥ 3. (Use a calculator to approximate the key numbers.)

I need someone to get me started.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Move everything to the LHS, and then combine all terms into a rational expression...what do you then have?

x^3 + (1/x^3) - 3 ≥ 0

x^3(x^3) + [(1/x^3)](x^3)/1 -3x^3 ≥ 0

x^6 + 1 - 3x^3 ≥ 0

x^6 - 3x^3 + 1 ≥ 0

I am stuck here.

What you should have is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^6-3x^3+1}{x^3}\ge0\)

Recall, you don't want to multiply an inequality by an expression having an unknown sign.

We have a 6th degree polynomial in the numerator, and so the fundamental theorem of algebra tells us that we should expect to find 6 roots...what does Descartes' rule of signs tell us about these roots? Do you recognize that you can treat the numerator like a quadratic?

"Recall, you don't want to multiply an inequality by an expression having an unknown sign."

Yes, I forgot that important rule.

"We have a 6th degree polynomial in the numerator, and so the fundamental theorem of algebra tells us that we should expect to find 6 roots."

What is the Fund. Theo. of Algebra?"What does Descartes' rule of signs tell us about these roots?"

I am not there in the textbook and thus, do not know this rule.

"Do you recognize that you can treat the numerator like a quadratic?"

Can the numerator by written as (x^2)^3 - 3x^3 + 1?

RTCNTC said:
"Recall, you don't want to multiply an inequality by an expression having an unknown sign."

Yes, I forgot that important rule.

"We have a 6th degree polynomial in the numerator, and so the fundamental theorem of algebra tells us that we should expect to find 6 roots."

What is the Fund. Theo. of Algebra?

One of the proven assertions of the FTOA is:

A polynomial of degree n will have exactly n roots (counting multiplicity).

RTCNTC said:
"What does Descartes' rule of signs tell us about these roots?"

I am not there in the textbook and thus, do not know this rule.

That's why I provided a link...it is a useful rule when studying polynomials, and its usage is within the grasp of the Pre-Calc student. I advise you to read the information to which I linked, and let me know what this rule says about the roots of the polynomial under consideration here.

RTCNTC said:
"Do you recognize that you can treat the numerator like a quadratic?"

Can the numerator by written as (x^2)^3 - 3x^3 + 1?

No, this is what I mean:

\(\displaystyle (x^3)^2-3x^3+1\)

We have a quadratic in $x^3$. This will give you two of the roots, and you should be able to use Descartes' rule of signs to determine if there are any other real roots. :D

The expression (x^3)^2 - 3x^3 + 1 cannot be factored.

RTCNTC said:
The expression (x^3)^2 - 3x^3 + 1 cannot be factored.

It has no rational roots, but we can use the quadratic formula to state:

\(\displaystyle x^3=\frac{3\pm\sqrt{5}}{2}\implies x=\sqrt[3]{\frac{3\pm\sqrt{5}}{2}}\)

Descartes' rule of signs indicates that the remaining roots must be complex, and so these two real roots are all we need to be concerned about. So, you have 3 critical values, all of which are roots of odd multiplicity, so you know what to do from here. :D

Thanks. I will need to use my calculator. The critical values are complicated. They belong on the number line and the rest remains the same steps, right?

Let CR = CUBE ROOT

Let SR = SQUARE ROOTCR{(3 - SR{5})/2} = x which is about 0.7256

CR{(3 + SR{5})/2} = x which is about 1.378

<----------(0.7256)----------(1.378)----------->

For (-infinity, 0.7256), let x = 0. True statement.

For (0.7256, 1.378), let x = 1.2. False statement.

For (1.378, infinity), let x = 4. True statement.

We exclude the critical points.

Solution:

(-infinity, 0.7256) U (1.378, infinity)

Correct?

Last edited:

1. What is inequality?

Inequality refers to the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, and privileges among individuals or groups. It can manifest in various forms, such as income inequality, educational inequality, and social inequality.

2. How is inequality measured?

Inequality is often measured using various statistical measures, such as the Gini coefficient, which calculates the income or wealth distribution within a population. Other measures include the Palma ratio, Atkinson index, and the coefficient of variation.

3. Why is inequality a problem?

Inequality has negative impacts on both individuals and society as a whole. It can lead to social and economic instability, hinder social mobility, and perpetuate poverty and discrimination. It also creates a significant divide between the wealthy and the poor, leading to social and political tensions.

4. How do calculators factor into inequality?

Calculators can be used to calculate and analyze various measures of inequality, such as the Gini coefficient or the Palma ratio. They can also be used to track changes in inequality over time and compare different countries or regions.

5. What can be done to address inequality?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to addressing inequality. Some possible solutions include implementing progressive taxation policies, increasing access to education and healthcare, promoting equal opportunities, and addressing systemic discrimination. It also requires a shift in societal attitudes and values towards equity and fairness.